Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

Mane out for a while would be a big blow to Liverpool in addition to Lallana out for up to a month. On paper, Liverpool's run in looks very favourable but is actually quite difficult for this 'Pool team as it is against teams who will sit deep and will not attempt to go toe-to-toe. Without Mane, Liverpool tend to play alot of balls to feet which results in loads of possession with very few clear-cut chances being created.

Same old story for United. I said it before, our best and now only chance of CL football is via winning the EL. Mathematically we can still get top 4 but realistically it is not going to happen. The league table doesn't lie and we have just not been good enough, plain and simple. If we need to rest players we should just go ahead and do it in the league and keep players fresh for EL. All our eggs are now in the EL basket.

Great result for Palace btw. Things might just get interesting in the title race especially if us and City can take points off Chelsea as well.

I was ready to post about Everton playing like scumbags yet again, but I'll be fair and acknowledge that Barkley and Williams were scumbags while the rest of the team contested a vigorous derby match.  A few late and heavy tackles but all the real shithouse antics were from the two star pricks. And zero surprise that once again the ref didn't contain or punish the worst offenses.  Strange decision by Koeman to start Pennington, Holgate, Davies and Calvert while keeping Barry, Mirallas, Valencia and Lennon(?) out.  Two youngsters would have worked but four left them too light on experience today.

Good win for Liverpool against a team in great form these past three months.  Great to see Coutinho rediscover some form, and Lovren on his first game for two months had Lukaku in his pocket.  Missing Henderson and Lallana, not to mention Sturridge, left our midfield lacking energy, speed and creativity but we coped pretty well.  Can had his second decent consecutive game after stinking for months.  Hopefully he and Coutinho build some form.  Firmino was pretty anonymous; I expected him to fill the Lallana role. I just hope Mane recovers quickly.  

My clubs sucks. 

Jose Fonte looks like one of the worst transfers of all time.  Sam Byram is not good enough to play at this level.  Kouyate looks like he's completely forgotten how to play football.  Hull didn't even play well today. 

Frustrating loss for Chelsea today. So many opportunities but Fabregas 5 minutes in was the only one we could get in. I thought it was gonna be a thrashing. With 2 games in 4 days, and the second game against City, this was a must win to shut the door on Tottenham. 7 point lead is still something, but boy does it seem slimmer when it is knocked down to single digits. The Blues'll feel some serious pressure on Wednesday. 

Hazard and Fabregas are the only two that showed some passion today. Diego, Luiz, and Pedro were disappointing, and Kante appeared absent. The Zaha goal was absolutely embarrassing. 

Good start for City. The danger for Arsenal now is that players heads could start to drop. That would be unfortunate as City's XI don't have many defensive minded players in there so there will be opportunities for Arsenal. Navas at RB is definitely an area that can be exploited.

Yeah fair point. As far as I'm aware he's never played the position before so I shouldn't be as critical. He had a bad clear on the first goal, but 4 defenders also allowed Zaha to shoot the ball between all of their legs, which I think is more critical. Hopefully Moses is clear to play Wednesday.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

That's a bit of a soft yellow for Xhaka, he does make contact but it's very minimal. I think his reputation has gone before him a bit there.

On the other hand, he lunges full on, well short of the actual ball, and catches a player's foot.  It was a dumb tackle. 

Would be better if City can take points off Chelsea. Nothing is more boring than a procession to the title. I'm hoping we see something similar to what happened in La Liga last season where it looked for a long time like Barca would coast to the title until a late dip saw their lead disappear very quickly.

28 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Would be better if City can take points off Chelsea. Nothing is more boring than a procession to the title. I'm hoping we see something similar to what happened in La Liga last season where it looked for a long time like Barca would coast to the title until a late dip saw their lead disappear very quickly.

That requires a Kane-less Spurs to make up the ground on Chelsea.  I'd like to see Chelsea stumble but I don't see any of the chasing pack winning nine straight games. 

Spurs are doing okay so far without Kane who will be back in a few weeks anyway according to Pochettino. The lead is down to 7 points now and if us and City can take some points off Chelsea as well, who knows what can happen. At the very least we would have an interesting situation develop in the title race instead of a Chelsea procession.

51 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

That won't help us,you or Arsenal.And hell will freeze over before Tottenham close the gap for 1st even further.

I'm hoping for an interesting title race to develop. Couldn't care less about either Arsenal or Liverpool and Spurs are capable of grinding out results even without Kane. As for us, the top 4 is gone already. With games against Everton, Southampton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City to come combined with our poor record against the top sides and inability to score, I don't see us picking up enough points anyway. EL is now our only chance for CL football next season.

Archived