Horse of Kent

Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

402 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

It's definitely a self fulfilling cycle here. The negativity from the fans and the media is pushing into the locker room which leads us to play like shit and fulfill the expected negativity. It's not only that but I can't imagine the atmosphere at Arsenal is a fun one to be in right now.

But how long has it been going on for. This cycle of the exact same problems and issues has been a fixture in every Arsenal season for about a decade. I've never been able to get my head around it because its like a constant Deja Vu. 

Can we really blame the fans? I think they've been insanely supportive of Wenger, and the media have given him a free pass for years. If it was just luck each year or he loses out because of tiny margins then fair enough. But no each year they collapse mentally, they don't defend properly, they have no idea how to defend against set pieces... it just goes on and on. 

He should have gone years ago.

In fairness, seeing what happened to United when Ferguson left has tempered my views (and I suspect many others) on the topic of Wenger leaving.

I saw an article on Soccernet recently which outlined why Arsenal fans shouldn't be afraid (for one thing, Arsenal have been underachieving under Wenger whereas United seemed to be overachieving with Ferguson) but the great unknown is still a bit more unsettling than the devil you know, particularly a devil who has at least always fulfilled the minimum requirements of Top 4 qualification and (recently) the odd cup trophy.

To me, Wenger is basically like someone who's a reliable B manager (he would have been an A or even A+ in his early years). Nowadays, he's not going to get you the top grades, but you can bank on a B (except this season it appears). To take a punt on someone who may not turn out to be an A-grade manager is still a risk.

14 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Probably should have been even tighter had Hamburg been given the penalty in this evening's match. I would be worried if I were Eintracht Frankfurt too given their hideous recent form. Not as much as Mainz or Augsburg as they have that seven point buffer, but with so many lower half teams in form they cannot think their season is over when they drop out of the European places. Maybe Leverkusen too as the next lowest team not improving, but they should have too much quality.

Nah, them not winning was ok. Not just because it's them, but the game was so poor it really didn't deserve any goals, or a winner. Both teams with pass completion rates of around 50% pretty much sums that game up. (55% Frankfurt I think, and 51% for them).

On the other hand Ingolstadt could've and should've walked away with more than praise for their performance in Dortmund on friday. They created quite few really good chances, and they were also denied a penalty. Dortmund was really lucky to walk away with three points instead of nil.

It is so bloody frustrating watching United. Yet another game where we dominate, create chance after chance but can't score. At least we got one goal this time. It really should have been two or three though. Rashford is terrorizing the 'Boro defence with his pace but unfortunately his final pass/cross/shot is just not good enough. This same criticism applies to all our attacking players for the entire season. I'm just waiting for that sucker punch.

Posted (edited)

Phew! Valdes gifted one to us there as we were really hanging on for a while. Kudos to Valencia for continuing his run. Much better performance by 'Boro in the 2nd half. Taking off Mata and Lingard cost us much of our attacking impetus. I'll take not playing well but picking up three points any day over dominating a game and only getting a draw.

Edited by Consigliere

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But how long has it been going on for. This cycle of the exact same problems and issues has been a fixture in every Arsenal season for about a decade. I've never been able to get my head around it because its like a constant Deja Vu. 

Can we really blame the fans? I think they've been insanely supportive of Wenger, and the media have given him a free pass for years. If it was just luck each year or he loses out because of tiny margins then fair enough. But no each year they collapse mentally, they don't defend properly, they have no idea how to defend against set pieces... it just goes on and on. 

He should have gone years ago.

Eh, people always ignore the period when we built Emirates, had no money and was forced to sell all our players at a time when oligarchs bought teams and threw hundreds of millions of dollars at them. What he did then is nothing short of a miracle. Look at the team in 2011. Wenger was able to consistently get more out of less than most managers could today. The issue is that he's become loyal to a group of players who simply aren't good enough and he hasn't adapted his managerial tactics to the modern game. It's time for him to go which I think most everyone, including himself, recognizes.

But that doesn't change the fact the fans through social media and the media themselves have created an atmosphere of absolute negativity and that negativity flows into the players, the training ground and ultimately game day. Wenger has to go, not only because his managerial ability is not good enough right now but because in this environment, when every loss equals a massive freak out, he will never be able to get the confidence of his players to where it needs to be to compete. He's just not that kind of manager with that kind of presence with the players and I don't see how he can overcome where Arsenal is no matter who he buys or sells.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Nah, them not winning was ok. Not just because it's them, but the game was so poor it really didn't deserve any goals, or a winner. Both teams with pass completion rates of around 50% pretty much sums that game up. (55% Frankfurt I think, and 51% for them).

I only saw highlights thankfully. It didn't look good.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

On the other hand Ingolstadt could've and should've walked away with more than praise for their performance in Dortmund on friday. They created quite few really good chances, and they were also denied a penalty. Dortmund was really lucky to walk away with three points instead of nil.

They have improved so much under Walpurgis, but ultimately they are a long way adrift as one of the two worst teams in the league and that lack of quality tells.

wenger does need to go. his presence is a distraction from progress. but, he is not the failure that the whiny gunners fans say he is. the man is really doing the best he can with what he has. arsenal have failed to get with the times. they are a smartly run business but supporters want more than that, and rightly so. 

to compete not only for the title in england but be a real player on the champions league scene (which they will likely not be part of next year) they need to spend. the money is there. 

who takes over the club though? that is the real question. 

Think that was a clear foul on Wijnaldum. Should've been a pen and Yaya should probably be off :dunno: 

Coutinho has been pretty poor again. 

I've no idea how Sterling managed to miss the ball there, but I'm glad he did.

Agreed on Yaya, he should have had a few red cards against us over the years, all for horrendous challenges, but he seems to be immune to them.

Klavan is dogplops.

Liverpool is truly Robin Hood of PL. We're taking points from rich, giving it to the poor - so to speak.

On top of having better depth because we rarely have much of options on the bench, we need to sort out our games against clubs like Swansea, Hull, Leicester.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Think that was a clear foul on Wijnaldum. Should've been a pen and Yaya should probably be off :dunno: 

Coutinho has been pretty poor again. 

Ever since that injury.

And there goes our lead. Agüero is a damn fine striker.

Edited by Lord Friendzone

How did Lallana miss that? Worse than Sterling's miss in the first half.

Probably a fair result, should have been about 3-3 though.

Great game for the neutral. Amazing that only two goals were scored. Sterling, Lallana and Aguero all guilty of bad misses.

I saw a top 6 head-to-head table earlier today and, updated to include today's match, Liverpool has 5 wins and 5 draws, sitting at the top of the table. Not all teams have completed all their top 6 matches as Liverpool did, so the table is far from complete, but Chelsea can come closest to Liverpool, at 19 points, if they win both their remaining matches.

As someone said, Robin Hoods of the Premier League.

Question is why Liverpool can't replicate this success against lower teams. Motivation, lack of concentration in certain moments, unwillingness of Klopp to fit tactics to specific opponents?  As longs as we drop points against these teams, title is far away.

Motivation definitely has something to do with it, but the main reason I can think of is a thin squad. Klopp (or any other manager fighting for Champions League spot or more) is more likely to try out second-stringers or youngsters against weaker teams then he is against direct competition, resulting in weaker performances and worse results.