Horse of Kent

Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

232 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Notone said:

Didn't Ranieri pretty much assemble Mourinho's title winning Chelski squad?

I wouldn't go as far as saying pretty much. Yes, a number of players bought under Ranieri formed the core of Chelsea's subsequent title winning campaigns but Mourinho brought in as many players who were crucial to those first two title wins as well. Tbh, I think that under Ranieri Arsenal would, at best, be no worse off than they have been for the past decade i.e. finishing in top 4 without challenging and just making up the numbers in the CL.

The Wenger situation is a tricky one. I also think that it's probably the right time for him to go, as supporters' faith in him being able to turn things around is at an all-time low. If he announced he were going, the negativity would disappear, supporters would get behind him for one last FA Cup run and there's still ample time to prepare for signing another manager and getting their off-season dealing lined up.

However, while I disagree with it, I can understand the board not wanting to dump him unless they have a solid replacement lined up. The two names I've heard are Allegri and Simeone, and Simeone is probably not going to be available for a little while yet. They seem the best of the available managers in that they've both won league titles recently, have experience with managing superstars, they know European football and are comparatively young. If they can't get either of those, I can understand the board waiting until they can nab the right person even if I don't think it's the best thing for the club.

I just hope the board have got one of those two (or someone similar) lined up. If they're going to extend Wenger for one more year, they better have someone lined up and ready to take over.

Schweinsteiger has agreed to join Chicago Fire on a one year deal. Always been a huge fan of his and a bit sad to see him leave. Too bad things didn't work out at United. Unfortunately, all those injuries in recent years took their toll and he hasn't been fully fit in years. Good luck to him in the MLS.

I first called for Wenger to leave the club five years ago (checked my Tweets to confirm). At that point he had gone eight years without winning a title, so I think I'd been fair in giving him time to do something.

Two FA Cups have not and do not change my mind, and nor would a third win in four years do so even if it means crushing two big teams between now and the end of the Cup Final.

I'm 31 this year and Arsenal haven't won a title since I've legally been able to drink (18 where I live). He is the only constant through that entire period as Kroenke didn't join the board until 2008, and his takeover was completed in 2011.

On 20.3.2017 at 7:45 PM, mormont said:

Cech is 34. He probably has at least two more seasons at the very top level and I wouldn't be surprised to see him turning out for a lower level team in 2021.

Yes. But if Sanchez and Özil were really to leave, and Arsenal was unable to find suitable replacements after missing out on the CL, I don't see them winning anywhere near winning the league in the near future (with Cech). You can say, those are realtively big ifs. In that case I also wouldn't rule out Cech saying, ok folks, I really lack the motivation to play on without the prospect of winning. E.g. I am not so sure Buffon would still be around, if Juve did not offer him a chance to collect silverware. Talking about Buffon, which reminds me...

On 16.3.2017 at 9:31 PM, mormont said:

People say this kind of thing a lot, but honestly? A player who looks at the current 'keeper and says 'I have no chance of dislodging that guy', doesn't have the correct mentality to play at a big club. Big club players should all believe that they should be in the team. It's just that for 'keepers, the stakes are higher because there are fewer chances to force your way in.

van der Sar was a bit in the opposite situation of CIllessen. When he was at Juve and they brought in Buffon as their new designated new #1, he (wisely) avoided that showdown and left a big club and went to Fulham. It's tough to argue that old Edwin did not have the mentality to play at a big club. Generally speaking, you are right. But with goalkeepers the situation is indeed a bit different. Usually as a backup you only get a chance if the starter picks up an injury or produces quite a few howlers, so that the manager is forced to drop him. 

Do you think Ibra might go to MLS because while he plays for Man Utd, but I love to watch him play. One of my favourite players.

21 hours ago, DJDonegal said:

I'm 31 this year and Arsenal haven't won a title since I've legally been able to drink (18 where I live). He is the only constant through that entire period as Kroenke didn't join the board until 2008, and his takeover was completed in 2011.

World's smallest violin. I'm 50 and my team hasn't won the title since... my team has never won the title.

13 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Do you think Ibra might go to MLS because while he plays for Man Utd, but I love to watch him play. One of my favourite players.

I think not, but mostly I just want him to stay with United next season as well.

Even moreso if it is unclear whether Griezmann comes. But I would like him *and* Zlatan.

18 hours ago, Hereward said:

World's smallest violin. I'm 50 and my team hasn't won the title since... my team has never won the title.

We're not really about titles, though.  We're about talking big and acting small.  Last season's best player is gone, who wants to bet me Michail Antonio isn't on the team next season?

Anyone?

On 22. 3. 2017 at 11:52 AM, Calibandar said:

I think not, but mostly I just want him to stay with United next season as well.

Even moreso if it is unclear whether Griezmann comes. But I would like him *and* Zlatan.

Griezmann would definitely want to play down the middle as a striker. Not on the wings ad Mourinho might sees him as a winger. Or would Man Utd go with 4-4-2? It would be shame if Zlatan went to MLS, when he's got plenty to offer.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:17 AM, Consigliere said:

Schweinsteiger has agreed to join Chicago Fire on a one year deal. Always been a huge fan of his and a bit sad to see him leave. Too bad things didn't work out at United. Unfortunately, all those injuries in recent years took their toll and he hasn't been fully fit in years. Good luck to him in the MLS.

Have fun playing in Bridgeview, Bastian.

I don't see him moving the needle on attendance for the team. 

Damn, I want to be enthusiastic about the Fire as my hometown team, but the stadium was done so wrong in every way.  Location, configuration, aesthetics (both in person and on TV), location, and most of all, location.

19 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Have fun playing in Bridgeview, Bastian.

I don't see him moving the needle on attendance for the team. 

Damn, I want to be enthusiastic about the Fire as my hometown team, but the stadium was done so wrong in every way.  Location, configuration, aesthetics (both in person and on TV), location, and most of all, location.

Always loved Schweinsteiger, but that was an underwhelming move for Chicago. They already have 2 solid, younger players in the center of midfield. Not to mention that this is the kind of move that MLS is (and hopefully continuing to) move away from. Full disclosure, I'm an Atlanta United season ticket holder and supporters club member, and love the fact that we signed a core of young, talented South Americans in/entering their prime. That's what clubs should be doing instead of grabbing aging, big names with too many miles on their legs. And I know it's early days for ATL, but damn, things are looking good right now!