Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

Klopp has been widely panned for his starting team selection today, but it seemed like a decent gamble from his perspective, even if it didn't work.  Stoke had previously used a long ball style against us with Crouch and Walters -- abandoning their usual style -- plus his two main attackers were sick and tired (literally), so three CBs to repel aerial bombardment and three CMs to win second balls.  Also, we've been finishing games poorly in recent months, looking tired and especially lacking sharpness to finish chances that arrive when the game gets stretched (Firmino and Lallana especially guilty of missing good chances late in games, but they run the most), so holding back our best attacking players might allow us to finish strongly so long as the opposition weren't out of sight by then.  Plus it would give a chance for some youngsters to get some experience and use their energy for pressing, and let the team practice this alternate formation.

But it didn't work.  Stoke didn't play long balls, they used their wide men in their normal style, perhaps because they weren't afraid of our press with so many missing.  And 4-4-2 with genuine width is a big problem for 3-5-2.  Origi and Woodburn got too isolated because the CMs were covering the WBs and because the entire CM was too defensive.  Accommodating TAA meant Clyne and Milner were both out of position.  3-5-2 requires excellence from the wing backs -- just look at Moses and Alonso at Chelsea -- but Clyne is poor in the attacking third in general and unsettled on the left, while TAA is very inexperienced.  I know Moreno is on the outs, but he would have been a better choice than TAA today.  Even so, they were a couple of minutes from reaching half time level, despite being outplayed.  And perhaps they should have had a penalty instead of Stoke scoring.  And Woodburn and TAA did reasonably well in their individual performances, but their effect on the team needed to be fixed.

But the good news is that it was easy to fix.  Even keeping the 3-5-2, just upgrading the link between CM and attack by making at a 3-4-2-1 box with Coutinho & Firmino behind Origi/Sturridge meant we had much more attacking threat, and reverting to Clyne as RWB and Milner at LWB meant we were stronger in the crucial WB roles.  We significantly outplayed Stoke in the second half, despite Origi and Klavan having very poor games, and eventually got our goals.  We needed a couple of good saves from our keeper, but overall did very well to turn around the game like that.  And now the players have a full week of rest before the next game, a bruiser of a game away to WBA.

Yeah, it was a rash challenge but I thought a yellow card would have sufficed especially considering the shit Rojo has gotten away with this season. And of course it was Zlatan who scored.

ETA. With Sunderland down to ten men, 2-0 down and having to commit more players forward, I think we should really consider taking Fellaini off and bringing on either Martial or Rashford. Sunderland are there for the taking on the counter.

34 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, it was a rash challenge but I thought a yellow card would have sufficed especially considering the shit Rojo has gotten away with this season.

Apparently this is (one of the) same ref who let Rojo off before, too.

More and more I like this Davies fella. Everton always knows how and when to bring up some youngsters. Highly entertaining game and it was clear Leicester was more or less concentrated for Atletico but still gave a good game to Everton. Lukaku had sort of mixed game, besides two goals kinda of meh at times. But goals is the most important stat.

Davies has talent. Sort of suspected that last season, when he got his chance in the last game of the season (alongside Jonjoe Kenny and Kieran Dowell), and he stood out from the youngster crowd. Better than Pennington, who had gotten games earlier the season, better than Kenny and a lot more useful than Dowell, who had gotten the plaudits from the U23s. He's got industry, relative quickness of thought, he's decent on the ball and has lots of energy. 

Hope that he'll learn from his colleagues in midfield - if he could learn the good parts from Gana, Schneiderlin and Barry, he'll be a cracking DM in time. He's still just 18.

Pennington .. still not sold on him. Doesn't look like a player who'll crack the PL ceiling to me, but hey - still young and just back from injury. He'll get some more time (and that's not me deciding, he just got a new two year contract).

ETA: Arsenal looking shaky. Not enough tempo up front so far (or, rather, movement), and not solid at the back. Could be bad news - further bad news.

I think he is contracted to Liverpool longer than that. Didn't he sign a four or five year contract when Rodgers was still manager? Think he might be under contract until 2019 or 2020.

Sakho has looked very good for Palace. Mustafi fortunate to still be on the pitch.

Archived