My kingdom for a convincing explanation for this

Good Guy Garlan

But unless they're known to be Targ eggs, they're not going to give fAegon legitimacy. He could have bought them at a market in Essos, or won them in a card game.

And if they were known to be Targ eggs, that goes back to my point about smuggling a baby AND three dragon eggs out of King's Landing. That would have been way too risky.

8 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Because Illyrio giving them to her for some reason is better than her just stumbling over them in the desert, which is apparently what was going to happen originally.

I think John Suburbs might have it: they're worth a lot, but they ain't worth so much that Illyrio can't afford to give them away. An inert dragon's egg appears to be worth a ship. Illyrio probably has loads of ships, notwithstanding comments above. (Warships are their own thing; the idea that a major trading port like Pentos wouldn't have a large commercial fleet is silly.)

I don't deny that they wouldn't have a large commercial fleet, though again I doubt Illyrio alone could provide transport for all of the Dothraki under Drogo. But the point is to invade Westeros they'd need Warships, otherwise the Royal Fleet would tear them to pieces as easily as a hot knife through butter. Pentos can't provide those war ships so maybe he gave the eggs away so Dany/Viserys could hire those ships themselves. 

If I was his editor I might've strangled him back in the 90's for all that shit.

"Hey, check out my totally bitchin' faux-medieval flavors! What did you think? [silence] Yeah, I've been to a few "yee oaldee" renaissance faires in my time, so I know how it goes... hey... what are you doing with that cattle prod? Why are you - arrrrghhh!!!!" etc

8 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

I think John Suburbs might have it: they're worth a lot, but they ain't worth so much that Illyrio can't afford to give them away. An inert dragon's egg appears to be worth a ship. Illyrio probably has loads of ships, notwithstanding comments above. (Warships are their own thing; the idea that a major trading port like Pentos wouldn't have a large commercial fleet is silly.)

If they are "worth a ship" (pre-AGOT times) they should be more abundant, not something unique, even if the eggs are truly dead. One should expect that rich people across Essos and maybe even Westeros have more eggs.

After Dany hatched dragons, the price of eggs has certainly skyrocketed, but we should also hear rumors about people trying to hatch dragons. 

2 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

I don't deny that they wouldn't have a large commercial fleet, though again I doubt Illyrio alone could provide transport for all of the Dothraki under Drogo. But the point is to invade Westeros they'd need Warships, otherwise the Royal Fleet would tear them to pieces as easily as a hot knife through butter. Pentos can't provide those war ships so maybe he gave the eggs away so Dany/Viserys could hire those ships themselves. 

Fair point. But I don't think Illyrio would struggle mightily to arrange the ships, myself. Wouldn't it be easier, and more reliable, just to hire them through a cutout rather than leaving the details to Viserys or Dany? Especially since, apparently, they can only get 3 ships for those eggs - not enough to transport tens of thousands of people and horses.

18 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

If they are "worth a ship" (pre-AGOT times) they should be more abundant, not something unique, even if the eggs are truly dead. One should expect that rich people across Essos and maybe even Westeros have more eggs.

Not necessarily. They can be extremely rare and only worth a ship.

Bear in mind that a ship (plus crew) is very expensive.

Bear in mind also that a dragon egg is basically just a big paperweight. (Until Dany X AGOT...) Unless you sell it to someone dumb enough to think they can hatch it, it's really just what the French call an objet d'art (or something). It's just decorative.

Compare that to famous paintings or to some of this stuff and imagine how much a modern ship might cost.

Just because something's really really rare doesn't make it worth more necessarily. If I remember my high school economics I suppose we would call this the price elasticity of supply: below a certain level of supply, the price becomes inelastic, i.e. further contractions in supply cease to have any effect on the price.

13 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm talking about Illyrio giving the dragon eggs to Dany. 

Now, I've seen several arguments for this, so I'll offer my own refutations:

1) The eggs were really meant for Drogo as a tribute for not pillaging Pentos: Probably the most convincing argument, though not enough for my liking. For one thing, Illyrio didn't need to give him all 3 eggs, surely one would've been more than enough. Also, the Dothraki never seem to consider the eggs as a trophy as are all the other stolen relics and deities. They also never attempt to trade them for anything. Additionally, Dany being the last female Targ and a princess in exile is more than valuable by herself, she doesn't need the eggs to boost her value as a bride. Point being, Drogo doesn't seem to really care about the eggs; they seem more like a gift meant for Dany alone, which leads me to my next point.

2) Illyrio is filty rich as it is and he didn't need the eggs: Well, I don't know if there's such a thing as being rich enough to literally throw money away, especially if you're planning a massive undertaking like sitting your own secret pretender on the Iron Throne. Illyrio wasted the eggs on a girl he thought was gonna die anyway instead of selling them to buy resources Aegon's sure gonna need, like sellswords or bribes. And yeah, Illyrio made a profit by arranging Drogo's wedding but 3 dragon eggs are surely worth more. Just think of how many Unsullied and sellswords he could've bought, how many Triarchs and lords he could've bribed. Money is key when your opponents are the Iron Bank and the Lannisters of Casterly Rock.

3) He gave Dany the eggs so she could sell them to buy ships for Drogo's invasion: Seriously, I've seen this argument and I'm like, Er, Illyrio actually has a lot of ships of his own, so...

But here's the main thing. Other than the monetary value of the eggs, they serve another, far more important function: They legitimize a Targ, being an enduring symbol of that House. That's dounly important if the claimant you're backing is supposedly back from the dead with no actual proof of being a Targ. Aegon showing up with 3 dragon eggs in his possession could've been a defining factor, it could've swayed many undecided lords that he's indeed the real Aegon. This is particularly striking considering that in "The Mystery Knight" a key part of the plot consists of Blackfyre loyalists conspiring to get a dragon egg to lend legitimacy to their claimant. 

Honestly, the only explanation I can think for this is if there's a cellar in Illyrio's mansion full of dragon eggs. Otherwise, it looks like a plot hole to me. 

In my opinion, Danny and Viserys were Illyio-Varys plan A.  It’s common sense to act that way. There were no doubts surrounding Aerys children’s origins, which means, that if they ever sat on the IT, no one would dare challenging their legitimacy.

Illyio gave them every tool to succeed from dragon eggs whose were worth an army of sellswords to a great matchup between Danny and Khal Drogo.  Varys on the other hand kept them safe. The poisoned wine was thrashed by Jorah Mormont ie Varys man. 

Illyio knew the Dothraki more than any Westerosi man. Their culture might be a bit primitive but Drogo understood the concept of profit + he was prone of letting his emotions run high. The poisoned wine plot was planned to piss off Drogo enough to beat his fear of crossing the poisoned sea.

Why he didn’t offered ships for the Dothraki to reach Westeros? Simple
a-    He wanted the Dothraki to cause enough havoc to force other Lords to pool their funds and finance the expedition themselves. 
b-    Every time Khal Drogo wins in battle, he would gain more credibility among his men, other Dothraki clans, the GC and the Westerosi Lords. Lords are more willing to thrash a deal with a legendary general who was victorious in a countless number of battles and Viserys needed all the help that he can get.

What Illyio-Varys didn't anticipated was

a- Viserys stupidity 
b- Khal Drogo's early demise
c- Jorah Mormont's infatuation with Danny, which was the catalyst of why Danny went to Slaver's bay

At that point plan B kicked in ie Aegon

Giving dany eggs served both Illyrio and grrm.he gave a gift that was not only equal to the status of khaleesi but also had a special place in every targarians heart.as khaleesi dany could influance khal drogo so that he will be more inclined to do business with Illyrio in future.it also served grrm as it establishes Illyrio as a wealthy man with powerfull friends and gives a mysterious touch to his character.                                          Sorry for the bad English. Hope everyone understand what i said

19 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm talking about Illyrio giving the dragon eggs to Dany. 

Now, I've seen several arguments for this, so I'll offer my own refutations:

1) The eggs were really meant for Drogo as a tribute for not pillaging Pentos: Probably the most convincing argument, though not enough for my liking. For one thing, Illyrio didn't need to give him all 3 eggs, surely one would've been more than enough. Also, the Dothraki never seem to consider the eggs as a trophy as are all the other stolen relics and deities. They also never attempt to trade them for anything. Additionally, Dany being the last female Targ and a princess in exile is more than valuable by herself, she doesn't need the eggs to boost her value as a bride. Point being, Drogo doesn't seem to really care about the eggs; they seem more like a gift meant for Dany alone, which leads me to my next point.

2) Illyrio is filty rich as it is and he didn't need the eggs: Well, I don't know if there's such a thing as being rich enough to literally throw money away, especially if you're planning a massive undertaking like sitting your own secret pretender on the Iron Throne. Illyrio wasted the eggs on a girl he thought was gonna die anyway instead of selling them to buy resources Aegon's sure gonna need, like sellswords or bribes. And yeah, Illyrio made a profit by arranging Drogo's wedding but 3 dragon eggs are surely worth more. Just think of how many Unsullied and sellswords he could've bought, how many Triarchs and lords he could've bribed. Money is key when your opponents are the Iron Bank and the Lannisters of Casterly Rock.

3) He gave Dany the eggs so she could sell them to buy ships for Drogo's invasion: Seriously, I've seen this argument and I'm like, Er, Illyrio actually has a lot of ships of his own, so...

But here's the main thing. Other than the monetary value of the eggs, they serve another, far more important function: They legitimize a Targ, being an enduring symbol of that House. That's dounly important if the claimant you're backing is supposedly back from the dead with no actual proof of being a Targ. Aegon showing up with 3 dragon eggs in his possession could've been a defining factor, it could've swayed many undecided lords that he's indeed the real Aegon. This is particularly striking considering that in "The Mystery Knight" a key part of the plot consists of Blackfyre loyalists conspiring to get a dragon egg to lend legitimacy to their claimant. 

Honestly, the only explanation I can think for this is if there's a cellar in Illyrio's mansion full of dragon eggs. Otherwise, it looks like a plot hole to me. 

We encounter Daenerys's three Eggs MacGuffin in Daenerys II, Game 11...

"Dragon's eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai," said Magister Illyrio. "The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty."

We are told expressly that these three dragon’s eggs are ancient, petrified eggs from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai, and we recall that Illyrio is a trader in dragonbone with a trading network that stretches to the fabled lands beside the Jade Sea. So, he very well might have another egg or three tucked away. 

"I shall treasure them always." Dany had heard tales of such eggs, but she had never seen one, nor thought to see one. It was a truly magnificent gift, though she knew that Illyrio could afford to be lavish. He had collected a fortune in horses and slaves for his part in selling her to Khal Drogo.

Here we learn that the three dragon’s eggs are worth the fortune in horses and slaves that Illyrio collects from Drogo for brokering the marriage pact. They are not priceless objects. Assuming Euron uses the dragon egg he says he once held to pay the Faceless Men to assassinate his brother, one egg is worth a contract to kill a high lord. In The Mystery Knight, Ambrose Butterwell offers a dragon's egg to the winner of a tourney. Jorah tells Daenerys that a common merchant would trade his cock for a dragon's egg, and he suggests that three dragon's eggs would secure the services of some tens of thousands of sellswords. But that might have been a bit of an exaggeration since he also suggests one egg would be worth a ship and crew and provisions to sail halfway round the known world. Still, he allows that selling all three eggs would allow Daenerys (and Jorah) to live as a wealthy woman for the rest of her life. 

In Daenerys IV, Game 36, the Targlings enter Vaes Dothrak, and Jorah expands our understanding of Dothraki gift-giving...

Ser Jorah grunted. “Yes, Khaleesi, but … the Dothraki look on these things differently than we do in the west. I have told him as much, as Illyrio told him, but your brother does not listen. The horselords are no traders. Viserys thinks he sold you, and now he wants his price. Yet Khal Drogo would say he had you as a gift. He will give Viserys a gift in return, yes … in his own time. You do not demand a gift, not of a khal. You do not demand anything of a khal.”

So, does Illyrio give Daenerys to Drogo? And does Drogo give Illyrio a fortune in horses and slaves? If so, then Drogo would not “owe” Viserys a crown, would he?

On the other hand, should we believe that Daenerys’s property is, in fact, the property of her husband and khal, and that by giving Daenerys such “a truly magnificent gift,” that Illyrio upsets the gift-giving balance back in his favor?

And keep in mind this could be nothing more than a plot device (rather than a plot hole). In his 1993 letter, outlining his earliest concept for A Song of Ice and Fire, we see that The George initially intended to have Daenerys stumble upon a nest of petrified dragon’s eggs on the edge of the Dothraki Sea. 

I don't believe Illyrio used the eggs to buy off the Dothraki so they would refrain from attacking Pentos. Illyrio clearly invited Drogo to Pentos to wed Daenerys, and Drogo maintained his own manse in Pentos. 

20 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

He has toxoplasmosis:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
He probably got it from animal feces somewhere like a fighting pit or a slave pen. When it colonizes an animal, like a rat or mouse, it causes them to alter their behavior to engage in risky and dangerous activity. In a rodent it makes them more likely to be eaten by a cat and thus continuing the toxoplasmosis lifecycle. For Jorah, it will just get him killed. 
I hope this is is better than a plot hole 

20 hours ago, JLE said:

Well, according to the Golden Company, Illyrio's plan keeps changing. I think he was playing the True Targaryen game with Dany, and the Golden Company believed that Viserys would join them with a Dothraki horde at his back: and Aegon is, at the very least, a back-up plan which they kept in reserve for if Dany did not come back from the Dothraki lands - since she seems to have decided to make herself Queen in Meereen.

Whether or not Aegon is even the real thing, or a fake, who knows?

And it's even possible that Illyrio and Varys are not playing the same game, and that Varys knows Aegon to be a fake and a Blackfyre or Brightflame descendant, but Illyrio believes him to be real and is backing him as the second choice behind a Dany who appears not to be interested in showing up at all...

Illyrio has a great interest in using the Targlings, but not to put either of them on the Iron Throne. And Varys serves Illyrio. 

In Daenerys I, Game 3, we learn that Illyrio has been aiding the Targlings and showering them with gifts for the past six months. Viserys believes that Illyrio is doing this for profit, believing that Illyrio expects to be rewarded when he comes into his throne, but Daenerys’s misgivings, as well as the fact that they were left to run from city to city for several years before Illyrio began to succor them, suggests right away to the reader that Illyrio’s motives should be questioned.

Dany could smell the stench of Illyrio's pallid flesh through his heavy perfumes.

When Viserys talks about making good his claim to the Iron Throne, he declares that he will kill Robert Baratheon himself, to which Illyrio replies, “That would be most fitting," but Daenerys notices “the smallest hint of a smile playing around his full lips,” which Viserys fails to notice. And Illyrio appears to feed into Viserys’s paranoia about being pursued by assassins sent by Robert Baratheon, which we learn just nine chapters later is a false belief. 

In Daenerys II, Game 11, we learn that, through Illyrio, Khal Drogo has promised Viserys a crown. While this is definitely a foreshadowing of the crown of molten gold Drogo actually gives Viserys, the passage clearly suggests to the reader that Drogo has bargained for his bride by promising to support materially Viserys’s claim. But we can only trust Illyrio so far. So, whether Drogo actually promised to support Viserys’s claim in exchange for his Targaryen bride, or Drogo actually promised Illyrio a number of Dothraki fighters, or Illyrio brokered the marriage to secure Drogo’s friendship in hopes of obtaining his material support, we cannot know with certainty. 

And once again, we see a hint that Illyrio has some ulterior motive. When Viserys claims that he is “no lesser man,” but “the rightful Lord of the Seven Kingdoms,” and that “[t]he dragon does not beg," Daenerys notices. . .

Illyrio smiled enigmatically and tore a wing from the duck. Honey and grease ran over his fingers and dripped down into his beard as he nibbled at the tender meat.

We see Illyrio, incognito, one more time before we meet him again, much later, with Tyrion Dance in Arya III, Game 32. Here we learn that Varys is in league with Illyrio.

" . . . found one bastard," one said. "The rest will come soon. A day, two days, a fortnight . . . "

This tells us that Varys does not want Eddard to discover the truth of the “twincest.”

"And when he learns the truth, what will he do?" a second voice asked in the liquid accents of the Free Cities.

"The gods alone know," the first voice said. Arya could see a wisp of grey smoke drifting up off the torch, writhing like a snake as it rose. "The fools tried to kill his son, and what's worse, they made a mummer's farce of it. He's not a man to put that aside. I warn you, the wolf and lion will soon be at each other's throats, whether we will it or no."

Here we see that Varys believes that the fools, plural, meaning Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion, attempted to assassinate Bran. But we learn by the “purple wedding” that it was Joffrey. In any event, we see that Varys has a great deal of respect for Eddard’s fortitude, if not for his cunning.

"Too soon, too soon," the voice with the accent complained. "What good is war now? We are not ready. Delay."

"As well bid me stop time. Do you take me for a wizard?"

Notice who gives the command: Illyrio, and who follows the order: Varys. Varys is working for Illyrio, not the other way around.

The other chuckled. "No less." . . .

"What would you have me do?" asked the torchbearer, a stout man in a leather half cape. . .

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend." . . .

"Before is not now, and this Hand is not the other," the scarred man said as they stepped out into the hall. . . .

I love this exchange. When the casual, first-time reader reads this, he understands the Hand in question to be Jon Arryn, and that Varys must have caused Jon Arryn’s death, especially since we just learned that he does not want the new Hand learning about the “twincest,” and we learn as we read, that Jon was killed after learning about the “twincest.” But substitute another Jon, Jon Connington, in for Jon Arryn, and you can see what Illyrio might have been suggesting: That Varys attempt to co-opt Eddard into their ulterior plot.

"Perhaps so," the forked beard replied, pausing to catch his breath after the long climb. "Nonetheless, we must have time. The princess is with child. The khal will not bestir himself until his son is born. You know how they are, these savages."

Recall, that Drogo will not aid Viserys until after he presents Daenerys to the dosh khaleen, and then, only “if the omens favor war." Perhaps, this was what the author was hinting at when he had Illyrio tell Viserys that he would have to wait. Perhaps Illyrio understood that the real gift to Drogo was not a Targaryen bride, but a dragonlord heir, the stallion who mounts the world.

"If he does not bestir himself soon, it may be too late," the stout man in the steel cap said. "This is no longer a game for two players, if ever it was. Stannis Baratheon and Lysa Arryn have fled beyond my reach, and the whispers say they are gathering swords around them. The Knight of Flowers writes Highgarden, urging his lord father to send his sister to court. The girl is a maid of fourteen, sweet and beautiful and tractable, and Lord Renly and Ser Loras intend that Robert should bed her, wed her, and make a new queen. Littlefinger . . . the gods only know what game Littlefinger is playing. Yet Lord Stark's the one who troubles my sleep. He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he'll have the truth. And now his wife has abducted Tyrion Lannister, thanks to Littlefinger's meddling. Lord Tywin will take that for an outrage, and Jaime has a queer affection for the Imp. If the Lannisters move north, that will bring the Tullys in as well. Delay, you say. Make haste, I reply. Even the finest of jugglers cannot keep a hundred balls in the air forever."

Did you notice that Varys has learned of the “catnapping” before anyone outside of the Inn at the Crossroads? More to the point, though, Varys urges his master to hasten Drogo’s material support of their ulterior plot.

"You are more than a juggler, old friend. You are a true sorcerer. All I ask is that you work your magic awhile longer." They started down the hall in the direction Arya had come, past the room with the monsters.

"What I can do, I will," the one with the torch said softly.

Again, notice who gives the command, and who follows the order.

"I must have gold, and another fifty birds."

. . .

"So many?" The voices were fainter as the light dwindled ahead of her. "The ones you need are hard to find . . . so young, to know their letters . . . perhaps older . . . not die so easy . . . "

"No. The younger are safer . . . treat them gently . . . "

" . . . .if they kept their tongues . . . "

" . . . the risk . . . "

Here we learn that Varys gets his little birds from Illyrio, and that Illyrio has children mutilated to serve his ends. 

18 hours ago, Makk said:

I don't find the idea of giving Dany the eggs convincing at all. It would be hugely symbolic in convincing everyone of Aegons true identity if he had the eggs. I do believe GRRM thought up Aegon some time after the first book had been published.

However I think 3 is the best justification. Illyrio wants Drogo to attack Westeros first of all (who probably acts as vengeance for assassinating Dany) and pillage it. Aegon will then sweep in as an avenging angel, unite the realm and expel the uncouth barbarians. Illyrio cannot directly supply ships to the Dothraki because he then wants to join Aegon in Westeros. So he gave the dragon eggs that can help finance the war when the Dothraki needed it.

It seems likely that Illyrio and Varys intended for the foiled assassination to bestir Drogo into beginning preparations for a joint invasion. 

In Daenerys VII, Game 61, we see that this is extremely likely since Jorah tells Daenerys. . . 

"I've told the khal he ought to make for Meereen," Ser Jorah said. "They'll pay a better price than he'd get from a slaving caravan. Illyrio writes that they had a plague last year, so the brothels are paying double for healthy young girls, and triple for boys under ten. If enough children survive the journey, the gold will buy us all the ships we need, and hire men to sail them."

I doubt Illyrio included that tidbit in his letter as gossip or idle chit-chat. 

I can see why the bait-and-switch theory developed (that Illyrio and Varys intended for Drogo and Viserys to invade Westeros, devastating the armies and causing the people to look for deliverance and finding it in Aegon and the Golden Company). Drogo’s vow suggests that his presence in Westeros would not be appreciated, and it suggests that he would not be participating in a joint invasion with the Golden Company. But keep in mind that Viserys was dead when Drogo made this vow. 

On the other hand, in Daenerys IV, Game 36, we learn the potential utility of a Dothraki horde in Westeros, and why Illyrio has gone to such lengths to add Drogo as an ally...

“Now,” the knight said, “I am less certain. They are better riders than any knight, utterly fearless, and their bows outrange ours. In the Seven Kingdoms, most archers fight on foot, from behind a shieldwall or a barricade of sharpened stakes. The Dothraki fire from horseback, charging or retreating, it makes no matter, they are full as deadly … and there are so many of them, my lady. Your lord husband alone counts forty thousand mounted warriors in his khalasar.”

“Is that truly so many?” 

“Your brother Rhaegar brought as many men to the Trident,” Ser Jorah admitted, “but of that number, no more than a tenth were knights. The rest were archers, freeriders, and foot soldiers armed with spears and pikes. When Rhaegar fell, many threw down their weapons and fled the field. How long do you imagine such a rabble would stand against the charge of forty thousand screamers howling for blood? How well would boiled leather jerkins and mailed shirts protect them when the arrows fall like rain?”

17 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Or it could have been nothing more than Illyrio needing to give Dany a gift worthy of a khaleesi, and dragons being the symbol of her house it was obvious that he should give them to her. And a jaw-dropping gift like this would also convince Drogo that he is not just getting some pretender, but a real princess from the Seven Kingdoms.

And if Jorah is any judge, the eggs are valuable, but not that valuable:

Elsewhere he says they are more precious than rubies, but it's not like they would have contributed mightily to Illyrio's army. Living dragons, of course, are a different story, but I can't imagine how Illyrio could have thought that Dany would be the one to unlock that secret.

If Illyrio or his servant Varys have a drop of dragonblood, then one or both of them could have had a vision like Daemon II and Daeron the Drunken. I don't buy it, though. It's too speculative and seemingly contrary to other stuff that is going on. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If Illyrio or his servant Varys have a drop of dragonblood, then one or both of them could have had a vision like Daemon II and Daeron the Drunken. I don't buy it, though. It's too speculative and seemingly contrary to other stuff that is going on. 

I'm down with Varys having dragonblood but as he is supposedly against all things magical, and we have no indication of him having dragon dreams, I have to agree that it would be unlikely for him.

Only the gods know what game Littlefinger Illyrio is playing.

10 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

So, people in Westeros wouldn't stop to think that golden eggs could be just bought, like cheese (although, to be fair, lots of cheese)?

"He has a dragon egg, that one."

"Huh. Did Prince Aegon have a dragon egg in his crib?"

"Uhm, nope, no. He must needs got it somewhere else."

"So, bought it?"

"Or someone bought it for him."

"So he must be a real Targaryen, and the heir to the throne!"

"Must be. He also has big heaps of cheese."

I do see your point, since this is actually what happened (or did it? Did Varys or Illyrio actually inherit rather than buy the eggs?).

But regardless how they got them, it is perception that matters. The eggs are extremely rare, possibly collectively unique. You cannot just go to the market and buy dragon eggs because the market doesn't have any. fAegon could easily claim his carers took the eggs when he fled Kings landing, or he got them from Dragonstone or Valyria. People would believe that.

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I do see your point, since this is actually what happened (or did it? Did Varys or Illyrio actually inherit rather than buy the eggs?).

But regardless how they got them, it is perception that matters. The eggs are extremely rare, possibly collectively unique. You cannot just go to the market and buy dragon eggs because the market doesn't have any. fAegon could easily claim his carers took the eggs when he fled Kings landing, or he got them from Dragonstone

Took the eggs? That's assuming there were any eggs to take in the first place. I think the Targs ran out of dragon eggs some time ago.

1 minute ago, Makk said:

or Valyria. People would believe that.

Maybe, maybe not. Crow's Eye keeps telling people that he sailed to Valyria, that doesn't make him a Targaryen.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

On the other hand, in Daenerys IV, Game 36, we learn the potential utility of a Dothraki horde in Westeros, and why Illyrio has gone to such lengths to add Drogo as an ally...

This doesn't worry me too much, it is just Jorah's musings. The big stickler to me about Varys and Illyrio wanting Drogo to invade after engineering Danys death, is what Tristan Rivers says...

"Which plan?" said Tristan Rivers. "The fat man's plan? The one that changes every time the moon turns? First Viserys Targaryen was to join us with fifty thousand Dothraki screamers at his back. Then the Beggar King was dead, and it was to be the sister, a pliable young child queen who was on her way to Pentos with three new-hatched dragons. Instead the girl turns up on Slaver's Bay and leaves a string of burning cities in her wake, and the fat man decides we should meet her by Volantis. Now that plan is in ruins as well.

I guess it's possible that Tristan was told something false, but I can't see the point of that.

Archived