U.S. Politics: Russian Around

drawkcabi

Oh yeah, here: "The serious conservative policy wonk" doesn't know what the purpose of insurance is:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/paul-ryan-flubs-the-basic-idea-behind-insurance

Look at that quote again: “The whole idea of Obamacare is … the people who are healthy pay for the people who are sick.” Well, yes. The whole idea of health insurance is to establish a system in which the people who are healthy pay for the people who are sick.

I feel the problem with car insurance is that the people who don't get into car wrecks end up paying for the people that do.

Also, let me just say, the problem I have with fire insurance is that the people's whose homes don't burn down, end up paying for the ones that do.

It's also the reason, I hate flood insurance. And life insurance too: I mean, the people who don't die end up paying for the ones that do.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Oh yeah, here: "The serious conservative policy wonk" doesn't know what the purpose of insurance is:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/paul-ryan-flubs-the-basic-idea-behind-insurance

I feel the problem with car insurance is that the people who don't get into car wrecks end up paying for the people that do.

Also, let me just say, the problem I have with fire insurance is that the people's whose homes don't burn down, end up paying for the ones that do.

It's also the reason, I hate flood insurance. And life insurance too: I mean, the people who don't die end up paying for the ones that do.

*giggle*  Maybe some smart people should meet up at a coffee shop and pool their money for self insurance.  Private markets FTW.

2 hours ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

Sure, let's go full out conspiracy here. Obviously Putin told Trump directly to hire Manafort because he had the water sports kompromat tape on him. It was in an unverified, completely unsubstantiated, oftentimes inaccurate dossier -- it must be true! 

Similarly, the Taiwnese President must have told Trump to listen to Bob Dole and Reince Preibus when Trump publicly renounced the One China policy. They must have compromising evidence on him too! 

ETA: Again, you're illustrating the real problem with all the Russia stuff -- you're working backwards to find evidence for something you desperately want to be true. This is how the GOP operated with Benghazi. It's supposed to work the other way around -- you're supposed to build your case based on the actual evidence at hand instead of taking wild speculation and finding any and all reason you can to justify said theory. 

I think it is fair to say that a conspiracy in which Trump is at least looped in, if not an active participant, is more likely in the face of what we know as fact so far, than if the only fact we knew was that Russia was behind the DNC hacks. It certainly warrants continued digging until they hit bedrock and can go no further.

There is particulate matter floating in the atmosphere that has a distinct look and smell of smoke. It behoves investigative authorities to find out if it is smoke, and if it is smoke they need to track it to its source.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

I wonder how Paul Ryan expects insurance companies to make profits.

I hate the idea of "health insurance for all" as the proxy for UHC (which is essentially what Obamacare is), because at the end of the day a whole swag of people's money ends up as insurance company profits, which means it's not being spent on actual health care. So that inherently makes the health system an inefficient use of financial resources. An actual UHC means all money allocated to health care is actually spent on health care. The question then becomes, how much do we allocate for spending on healthcare to meet minimum public expectations?

We have some health insurance providers who are actually healthcare providers and who are not for profit entities. But I suspect such things are the exception to the rule in the health insurance game.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

We have some health insurance providers who are actually healthcare providers and who are not for profit entities. But I suspect such things are the exception to the rule in the health insurance game.

That's true of the HMO I work for, but the whole "not for profit" designation strikes me as being a bit of a shell game. The folks up top draw fairly obscene salaries. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's true of the HMO I work for, but the whole "not for profit" designation strikes me as being a bit of a shell game. The folks up top draw fairly obscene salaries. 

Sure, but the folks up top in our public health system (e.g. public hospital CEOs) are drawing pretty decent salaries too.

I wonder how the low income trump supporters are gonna feel when that obama care replacement rolls in. Millions will lose their healthcare. People with pre-existing conditions will be royally fucked up the arse. Kellyanne Conway said no one would be losing their health insurance, but that's obviously a lie. I can't imagine how it's gonna feel to know the guy who you rallied for is the one screwing you over. I just don't know where to start and end with this guy.

Annnnnnnd in today's episode of keeping up with the swamp monsters, Paul Ryan apparently met with a group of health insurance lobbyists for a fundraiser right before making his presentation. But he had graphs so it's ok. 

JUST HOURS BEFORE House Speaker Paul Ryan held a press conference to sell his health care overhaul legislation — using a PowerPoint presentation mocked for misrepresenting basic facts  — he was doing something he’s much better at: fundraising.

The two things were related. The Thursday morning breakfast fundraiser he attended was hosted by a lobbying firm working to unwind the Affordable Care Act on behalf of health insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield, one of the big winners of Ryan’s proposed legislation.

The breakfast, according to an invitation, was sponsored by McGuireWoods PAC, the political action committee for the lobbying firm McGuireWoods. Blue Cross Blue Shield, an Anthem company, pays McGuireWoods $120,000 a year to lobby on changes to health reform, records show. Attendees of the event paid were asked to pitch in as much as $10,000.

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone, anywhere, ever looked at Donald Trump and thought he was a viable option for President of the United States... besides the irrational assertions, inane platitudes and pathological lying.... he's an economic illiterate,  sociological regressive, science denying dullard who not only doesn't understand what this job entails, he doesn't care to learn...

.... and to make matters worse, he's surrounded himself with a cabinet who believes that Noah's Ark is a historical event, and that we should make laws based upon the bible...

Annnnnnnd in today's episode of keeping up with the swamp monsters, Paul Ryan apparently met with a group of health insurance lobbyists for a fundraiser right before making his presentation. But he had graphs so it's ok. 

Yep, it's the AMA and hospital groups, etc that are against Ryancare. The insurance comapanies are getting their payoff. A couple things they'll get is being able to charge older people more for insurance and being able to sell health plans with less requirements.

CNN reports on Trump’s clever new scheme:

In an Oval Office meeting featuring several leaders of conservative groups already lining up against the House Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, President Donald Trump revealed his plan in the event the GOP effort fails: Allow Obamcare to fail and let Democrats take the blame, sources at the gathering told CNN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/03/09/trump-has-a-secret-backup-plan-to-kill-obamacare-its-actually-brilliant/?utm_term=.eb1ba9d1f7cf

Trump has a secret backup plan to kill Obamacare. It’s actually brilliant.

Trump's Obamacare moves cause chaos in Congress
The president has sent mixed signals on how much negotiation he's open to, undermining GOP leaders.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/donald-trump-obamacare-chaos-congress-235883

The Deep State Is a Figment of Steve Bannon’s Imagination
Here’s the real truth about America’s national security bureaucrats.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/the-deep-state-is-a-figment-of-steve-bannons-imagination-214892

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Has anyone linked Representative Eric Swalwell's (D) web page listening all public information known about Russian connections to the administration? I may have missed it.

https://swalwell.house.gov/russia

I did upthread but good to have it linked again.   :)

Beyond all the smoke and corruption, the sheer level of incompetence is staggering. I'm almost feeling sympathy for Spicer, having to scramble to explain things I'm sure he doesn't even understand. Did you see where he was forced into an awkward 180 on whether or not Trump's been investigated when he was handed a note mid-way through? Fucking clown show.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Look at that quote again: “The whole idea of Obamacare is … the people who are healthy pay for the people who are sick.” Well, yes. The whole idea of health insurance is to establish a system in which the people who are healthy pay for the people who are sick.

Yes, even on the radio today during the Marketplace show, they commented on, um Mr. Speaker, that's how insurance works.   H'eh.

What chapped my hide tho, was Mr. Speaker was sayin', paraphrased  "that those evil, mean, SICK people with the pre-existing conditions are all the reason the healthy people had to buy insurance to support their sickly asses."

Now as a person with a few pre-existing conditions myself, I felt his tone to be very insulting.  Lets, see, my PEC's consist mostly of previously broken bones and I were to develop serious arthritis in those areas, my PEC of bone breaks could into play.  Other than that I'm pretty healthy and disease free.  So, lucky me, there are millions out there like me.  But on the other hand, there are many people who have PEC who need constant care, meds and treatment and goddamn it, they are not pariahs who are dragging the USA down so it can't be grate again ffs!

:bang:

You Mister Speaker of Granny Starvers, fail basic human decency 101.

40 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone, anywhere, ever looked at Donald Trump and thought he was a viable option for President of the United States... besides the irrational assertions, inane platitudes and pathological lying.... he's an economic illiterate,  sociological regressive, science denying dullard who not only doesn't understand what this job entails, he doesn't care to learn...

.... and to make matters worse, he's surrounded himself with a cabinet who believes that Noah's Ark is a historical event, and that we should make laws based upon the bible...

Also known as today's modern Republican Party.   :dunce:

54 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

As far as I could make out, he was refreshing because he speaks the truth, except when he said crazy things, in which case he obviously didn't mean what he was saying. Also he was anti-establishment, which was good because the establishment is corrupt. Except when he hired a bunch of careerists and his own henchmen, in which case it was good that he was taking advantage of experience and embracing the political protest. Etc.

Really, I think it was largely a bunch of isms, myself. 

Watch Paul Ryan’s Adam’s Apple When He’s Asked Why His Health Plan Cuts Taxes for the Rich

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/watch-paul-ryans-adams-apple-when-asked-about-the-rich.html

Well, looks like Trump is saving us as promised from the taco truck scourge.

The Owner of a Popular Houston Taco Truck Is Being Deported

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/03/popular-houston-taco-truck-owner-deported-by-ice.html

Tillerson recuses himself at #drainthatswamp!

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has recused himself from issues related to TransCanada Corp's application for a permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, the State Department said in a letter on Thursday to the environmental group Greenpeace.

"He has not worked on that matter at the Department of State, and will play no role in the deliberations or ultimate resolution of TransCanada's application," said the letter from Katherine McManus, the State Department's deputy legal adviser.

McManus' letter came after Greenpeace wrote to officials at the State Department and the Office of Government Ethics on Wednesday, urging Tillerson recuse himself from any decisions on the multibillion-dollar pipeline, given his former role as chief executive officer of Exxon Mobil Corp..

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-transcanada-keystone-tillerson-idUSKBN16G384

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Beyond all the smoke and corruption, the sheer level of incompetence is staggering. I'm almost feeling sympathy for Spicer, having to scramble to explain things I'm sure he doesn't even understand. Did you see where he was forced into an awkward 180 on whether or not Trump's been investigated when he was handed a note mid-way through? Fucking clown show.

Here's another example. There's also the fact Tillerson is going to Asia and refuses to take any journalists and hasn't given a single press briefing.

Archived