Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Last night I watched I, Daniel Blake and you know what? It was a little underwhelming in some ways. It does make things out to be a little black and white (everyone working for the government is evil except for one person). And yes, I have signed on and spent some time in job centres (although I've never been such dire circumstances as the two characters in this film). But the benefits system and especially the whole ASOS means testing thing is some grim bullshit so I am glad that someone made a film about it. Great performances from the leads too. Depressing, but necessary I would say.

At the other end of the spectrum I watched a pretentious little film called The Invitation* (oh, IMDb messageboards where are you when I need you?). Hmmm. So a guy is going for dinner at his ex-wife's house and you gradually learn that something bad happened to them in the past and she is seemingly magically over it now and wants all of their mutual friends to share in her spiritual release or something. Ok, you can likely guess where the plot is going (it's fairly predictable). The film is full of vapid, attention seeking LA types (clearly this is how they are meant to be seen) who seem to be seeking some excitement and or casual sex. I don't think I could last in a room with them for more than five minutes, and that made watching the film quite tricky. I can't really recommed it unless you're REALLY bored.

*Netflix recommended it to me, thanks Netflix!

I liked The Invitation. The plot is kind of predictable, but I thought it was fairly suspenseful and had a nice little twist at the end which I enjoyed. 

For anyone watching Legion, is it good? I watched the 1st episode and I'm kind of torn if I'm gonna go back to it? I didn't dislike it but just never really felt the urge to watch it since.

39 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I liked The Invitation. The plot is kind of predictable, but I thought it was fairly suspenseful and had a nice little twist at the end which I enjoyed. 

For anyone watching Legion, is it good? I watched the 1st episode and I'm kind of torn if I'm gonna go back to it? I didn't dislike it but just never really felt the urge to watch it since.

Yeah, I thought The Invitation was decent. Agree about the end. I like Michael Huisman, too. 

Legion is great. It's super weird (think David Lynch), so it depends if you're into something like that. 

5 hours ago, Isis said:

Last night I watched I, Daniel Blake and you know what? It was a little underwhelming in some ways. It does make things out to be a little black and white (everyone working for the government is evil except for one person). And yes, I have signed on and spent some time in job centres (although I've never been such dire circumstances as the two characters in this film). But the benefits system and especially the whole ASOS means testing thing is some grim bullshit so I am glad that someone made a film about it. Great performances from the leads too. Depressing, but necessary I would say.

I think the film would have been elevated to a higher level if they had included some people who were taking advantage of the system or were being needlessly aggressive with the staff. It was too easy to assume that everyone was completely innocent. The part of me that doesn't appreciate lateness sort of felt like the mum should have been made to wait until a space freed up.

As part of my "turns out Sicario was a blip" quest of watching Denis Villeneuve films I watched "the enemy" last night. No idea what that was about (I like the SF and metaphorical explanations online) but it highlighted how it doesn't need to make sense to be good. Villeneuve was definitely channeling a Hitchcock vibe which shows how versatile he can be as his films all feel a bit different. Bodes well for Blade Runner.

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the film would have been elevated to a higher level if they had included some people who were taking advantage of the system or were being needlessly aggressive with the staff. It was too easy to assume that everyone was completely innocent. The part of me that doesn't appreciate lateness sort of felt like the mum should have been made to wait until a space freed up.

As part of my "turns out Sicario was a blip" quest of watching Denis Villeneuve films I watched "the enemy" last night. No idea what that was about (I like the SF and metaphorical explanations online) but it highlighted how it doesn't need to make sense to be good. Villeneuve was definitely channeling a Hitchcock vibe which shows how versatile he can be as his films all feel a bit different. Bodes well for Blade Runner.

Do you mean Enemy? I LOVE THAT FILM. I'll send you a cool link about that.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Do you mean Enemy? I LOVE THAT FILM. I'll send you a cool link about that.

that's the one - not the band - a link that discusses what the film may be about would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I think the whole point of I, Daniel Blake was about trying to show a different perspective of the system. There are plenty of TV shows etc. about so-called benefit scrounges that paints them in a negative light

8 hours ago, Isis said:

At the other end of the spectrum I watched a pretentious little film called The Invitation* (oh, IMDb messageboards where are you when I need you?). Hmmm. So a guy is going for dinner at his ex-wife's house and you gradually learn that something bad happened to them in the past and she is seemingly magically over it now and wants all of their mutual friends to share in her spiritual release or something. Ok, you can likely guess where the plot is going (it's fairly predictable). The film is full of vapid, attention seeking LA types (clearly this is how they are meant to be seen) who seem to be seeking some excitement and or casual sex. I don't think I could last in a room with them for more than five minutes, and that made watching the film quite tricky. I can't really recommed it unless you're REALLY bored.

*Netflix recommended it to me, thanks Netflix!

If you are interested there is already a thread for this, called 17000 things to watch or something like that. There is also a Legion thread. To me Legion is very good so far.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think the whole point of I, Daniel Blake was about trying to show a different perspective of the system. There are plenty of TV shows etc. about so-called benefit scrounges that paints them in a negative light

Therein lies the problem when both extremes refuse to acknowledge the other exists. The truth is usually somewhere in between or more accurately all these things happen. It's what elevates shows like "the wire" where they show you things warts and all and you still agree that the system is broken and unfair.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah... I almost said they should show that there ARE cheats as well, but then I felt like a guy saying 'hey, false rape claims!' So I didn't say it. :/

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

If you are interested there is already a thread for this, called 17000 things to watch or something like that. There is also a Legion thread. To me Legion is very good so far.

Um, I'm not sure if you're new or what but threads here get closed after 400 posts, that's why I started a new one.

Red Snow: I sent you the link. I think it's the same one I was thinking about for ages (thought I had it saved to Pocket but it doesn't seem to be there). I recall it being a long video. Not sure if it was this long though. Anyway, it's a pretty interesting theory. We can discuss in person if need be. :)

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I really like the strangeness of Legion, but if you didn't care about the first episode then maybe it's not for you. The later episodes do introduce a more coherent (sometimes, at least) plot and do give characters other than David some character development.

13 hours ago, Isis said:

Um, I'm not sure if you're new or what but threads here get closed after 400 posts, that's why I started a new one.

Yeah, not new obviously, just didn't realize the old thread was locked. The starter of a new one usually posts that in the opening post so everyone knows.

14 hours ago, williamjm said:

I really like the strangeness of Legion, but if you didn't care about the first episode then maybe it's not for you. The later episodes do introduce a more coherent (sometimes, at least) plot and do give characters other than David some character development.

I think latter episodes do make more sense so if that's what puts someone off the pilot it's worth a couple more. If they don't like the style though or feel it should be more like the final 5 minutes they should just throw in the towel.

Apparently the actor who plays David was on a talk show with Patrick Stewart and told him he was his character's dad. Stewart was surprised but when told he could maybe get a part in the show he was apparently game. His Xavier retirement seems more fluid than Jackman's

Finished the first 4 eps of the 100 season 2. It's starting to open up and expand. I like the way it's going. Not really a spoiler but fuggit:

Clarke may be the most infuriating person on the show; even more than Bellamy at this point (I'm liking him more as the show progresses). She pisses me off about 75% of the time. She's in this unexplored new world and just does what ever the fuck she wants. Raven is badass.

I watched Match Point the other day and I thought it was quite horrible. Maybe it would work better as a book than a film? I also think it was mis-labelled or mis-advertised as 'two social climbers trying to get on' or something like that, it said something like that on Netlfix I'm sure. This was recommended to me as I am trying to work my way through Woody Allen - otherwise it wouldn't be the kind of thing I am interested in watching. Anyway, he (whatever his name was in the film), Jonathan Rhys Meyers's character was a social climber, yes, but Scarlett Johansson's character was just a kind of free-spirited, non conventional, slightly self-centred actress who played on her looks. She didn't seem to care than much about the trappings of society life or even having lots of money. Anyway, it was mildly diverting, only in that I wanted to know how it would end. Are you meant to dislike the rich family it revolves around? I think you probably are as they're pretty cliched. And you're surely meant to dislike the protagonist, because he has no redeeming qualities. It's just unpleasant all round really. I can't recommend it.

I can't seem to remove this box, sorry. :)

On 08/03/2017 at 1:49 PM, red snow said:

4 hours ago, Isis said:

I watched Match Point the other day and I thought it was quite horrible. Maybe it would work better as a book than a film? I also think it was mis-labelled or mis-advertised as 'two social climbers trying to get on' or something like that, it said something like that on Netlfix I'm sure. This was recommended to me as I am trying to work my way through Woody Allen - otherwise it wouldn't be the kind of thing I am interested in watching. Anyway, he (whatever his name was in the film), Jonathan Rhys Meyers's character was a social climber, yes, but Scarlett Johansson's character was just a kind of free-spirited, non conventional, slightly self-centred actress who played on her looks. She didn't seem to care than much about the trappings of society life or even having lots of money. Anyway, it was mildly diverting, only in that I wanted to know how it would end. Are you meant to dislike the rich family it revolves around? I think you probably are as they're pretty cliched. And you're surely meant to dislike the protagonist, because he has no redeeming qualities. It's just unpleasant all round really. I can't recommend it.

I can't seem to remove this box, sorry. :)

even online I'm a pain to get rid of :P

19 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Finished the first 4 eps of the 100 season 2. It's starting to open up and expand. I like the way it's going. Not really a spoiler but fuggit:

Reveal hidden contents

Clarke may be the most infuriating person on the show; even more than Bellamy at this point (I'm liking him more as the show progresses). She pisses me off about 75% of the time. She's in this unexplored new world and just does what ever the fuck she wants. Raven is badass.

I'm currently suffering from a virus that causes me to pass out in a fever whenever sitting watch TV and was trying to think of something i could watch that doesn't require much attention.The100 was on the list

20 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I LOVE this show! Season 2 is kind of fantastic!!! Really great character progression and arcs 

Watched airheads last night - that was fun! 

Started watching don't trust the b---- in apartment 23 but 5 episodes in I'm not huuuuugely into it 

I also started watching darjeeling limited and got bored and paused it to do other things totally forgot about it until 5 hours later and decided to turn it off anyway lol disappointed because for the most part I quite like Wes Anderson 

Archived