Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Watched Arrival and Doctor Strange.  I'm not really sure what I think about Arrival.  I enjoyed it quite a bit but I'm left wondering if it's a lot deeper than I think it is or if it's a film that thinks it's deep but isn't.  I'll probably watch it again someday.

Doctor Strange was bad, really bad.  

@drawkcabi Netflix dvds? What's that? Like a rental service, or you buy the movie?

I watched La la land and Moonlight this past week. Maybe as they were nominated for Best Picture in the Oscars I had too many expectations. I know I'm late to the debate, so I'll be short.

If I recall other musicals, including Disney's movies, I have to admit to remember at least a couple of songs from each one. Not to go so far ago in time, I find Moana's Your Welcome and Shiny to be more memorable songs than La la land entire soundtrack (not judging whether its songs were good or not, but they just didn't stick). 

And with Moonlight, though I liked the movie itself, I suspect I didn't understand it the same way as I thought it was presented.

Spoiler

I had heard its main focus was the main character discovering his sexuality. I felt Moonlight's main focus wasn't Chiron's sexual orientation, but coming from a broken home by drugs, being cared for by a drug dealer while growing up knowing what that meant, and after that, becoming a drug dealer himself. It also left me the impression that him repressing his sexuality had nothing to do with his sexual preference but about other issues he had with his life. Either way, it was a nice movie.

4 hours ago, Baltan said:

@drawkcabi Netflix dvds? What's that? Like a rental service, or you buy the movie?

Rental service. It's the original service Netflix did before they added streaming. They send you DVD's in the mail, you send them back, they get them and send more out.

15 minutes ago, Leap said:

Usually I would shirk but in this case I think I can accept this responsibility. I went in with high expectations and really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but it's refreshingly different and extremely entertaining.

Well, after watching trailers, I have to agree. And "different" these days is certainly difficult to find. 

I saw Kong : Skull Island which I enjoyed a lot more than I expected. I liked the way they managed to make Skull Island look wonderful as well as terrifying. Kong himself was impressive and there were some great action set-pieces, particularly the opening encounter with the helicopter squadron. It was much better paced than Peter Jackson's take on King Kong (or the recent Godzilla film). There were maybe a few too many major characters in the film, Tom Hiddlestone felt like he didn't get much time for character development despite possibly being the protagonist. Samuel L. Jackson did well with the the vengeance-seeking colonel who seemed to have come to Skull Island straight from Apocalypse Now, and John C. Reilly provided most of the film's humour and exposition. The plot does have its stupid moments, but I didn't feel they detracted too much from the film.

I watched Jason Bourne.  I didn't realize until halfway through that it was actually a new Bourne movie and not one of the others.  There is little difference in any of these films.  Jason can't remember stuff, the CIA is after him, a car chase, a chase through a crowded area or two, a woman near and dear to him is killed, and then a woman in the CIA helps him. 

Of all the new things this season, I have to say The Good Fight is hitting all the right spots for me... It is so surprisingly good that I am enjoying every second of it and easily discard all the possible flaws

Watching The Nice Guys right now.  No idea how I missed this one.  This movie is hilarious, and I've been a fan of Shane Black for a while now.  Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was fantastic, and Last Action Hero is a supremely underrated parody of the action genre.  

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

Watching The Nice Guys right now.  No idea how I missed this one.  This movie is hilarious, and I've been a fan of Shane Black for a while now.  Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was fantastic, and Last Action Hero is a supremely underrated parody of the action genre.  

The Nice Guys is so good, and just got funnier on a rewatch.

I started watching Planet Earth II. I could watch endless episodes and never get tired of them. I also wish I was a three-toed sloth.

1 minute ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Nice Guys is so good, and just got funnier on a rewatch.

I'm just pissed I didn't watch it sooner.  Hell, the only reason I watched it to begin with is because my buddy who moved away a year ago was in town last weekend and happened to mention that it was on HBO Go while we were out drinking.  He and I have a similar taste in movies and TV (we can pretty much have an entire conversation that is just Arrested Development quotes like most good people), so I added it to my watch list.

Finally got around to watching it tonight and holy shit I think I like it even better than Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

For some reason* we decided to watch Spectral last night. It was...I don't know...awful? It's lucky I spent the day at a wine fair so I wasn't that bothered by all the nonsensical stuff in it. I guess it was a relatively interesting idea for a film but as with many things that are just totally pulled out of someone's arse there a lots of bits that look cool but make no sense. I'm surprised that Emily Mortimer lowered herself to this depth really.

*actually I had a craving to watch Grand Budapest Hotel but guess what, it's not on Netflix or Amazon so I've had to buy the DVD.

Started watching Legion. First episode has me hooked, looking forward to the rest of the series. Really trippy and confusing. I love the cast, the music the look and atmosphere. Avoiding the spoiler thread until I catch up

I seem to be on a bad movie kick lately.  Watched X-Men Apocalypse.  Bad!  It wasn't even entertaining like most comic movies are.  This franchise must be toast by now.  

Quicksilver was once again the standout.  They should just make shorts about Quicksilver speeding people away from crazy attacks.

Archived