Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

21 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I'm halfway through the first season of Gomorrah and really enjoying this. It's more like the Wire than the Sopranos -- more serious, a focus on the drug trade and a background of poverty, no quirky characters and not as much humor. Some of the slums of Naples actually look like something I'd expect from a poorer South or Central American country.

Also, don't want to spoil it, but I just watched an episode where one of the less interesting characters took a pretty awesome turn in his character arc.  

ETA: aaaaand Ciro goes straight Chris Partlow.

Had to take a break after a certain ep where Ciro did a certain thing lol. Great character

Watching season 1 of Lucky Man and I have a question about episode 9 I hope someone can help me with:

Spoiler

Harry Clayton goes to prison.  No one searched him and ask him about removing the bracelet before admitting him?  Seriously?

Went to see Life. It was a decent SF film, although nothing that happens in it could possibly surprise anyone who has seen this time of film before. It didn't rely as much on characters being idiots as some films (Prometheus, for example), although there were some occasions where they could definitely have planned things a bit better.

Finished Gomorrah. Fantastic show. Great character arcs, betrayals, deaths along with Machiavellian politics and plot twists sprinkled throughout with violence. Be warned, this is mostly heavy stuff and there is little humor. It's pretty much an entire season of a bloody mob war. Highly recommended if you're into crime dramas / series. 

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Had to take a break after a certain ep where Ciro did a certain thing lol. Great character

Yeah I wanted to root for Ciro up until that point but, alas, no more..

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Finished Gomorra. Fantastic show. Great character arcs, betrayals, deaths along with Machiavellian politics and plot twists sprinkled throughout with violence. Be warned, this is mostly heavy stuff and there is little humor. It's pretty much an entire season of a bloody mob war. Highly recommended if you're into crime dramas / series. 

Sounds right up my alley. Think I'll give it a try. :cheers:

Last night I watched The Light Between Oceans (which my brain always wants to call The Space Between Screams). I don't know about this one, I really don't. I guess first of all I am glad I didn't waste the money seeing it at the cinema. It makes a better book than a film. Second of all, how do two people who were in a real life relationship with each other manage to play a loving husband and wife who have so little chemistry? Thirdly, MF looks so much older than his wife that it is borderline creepy when they first meet. She looks like a schoolgirl and it is properly uncomfortable to watch. All of that said, I thought they put in decent performances in their own right, albeit with a bit of a low bar set for MF.

But, it's a very emotional story and I didn't quite feel it in the way I expected to. What I mean is, there is no shortage of tearjerking moments in the story, but few of them seem to have translated onto the screen. I don't know. I'm just not sure they should have bothered at all.

After regaining some juice from the extremely arduous days of my latest Caribbean expedition (not joking about how exhausting and depleting 12 day of constant travel and no sleep were) I was able to watchThe Cuba Libre Story, which I'd put off watching since I already know the material quite well, and the latest season of Grace and Frankie.

I have some quibbles with the former -- particularly perspective, but generally this history documentary (8 hours) is good, and certainly better than most.  Grace and Frankie makes me laugh out loud -- Lily Tomlin! Jane Fonda! Sam Waterson!  Martin Sheen! -- all by myself, at least three times in every episode

Both stream on netflix.

I finished up Season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend today, which was excellent and had such a brilliant finale. I'm glad I was watching on Netflix though, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much with a weekly viewing. Another great show for the CW.

Also watching at the moment:

Big Little Lies - Really loving this, great story and strong performances from the cast.

Legion - Can't say enough good things about this, and I'll be sad when it ends this week.

The Last Kingdom - Strong start to the season. I like how it manages to hit all the right beats from the books but progresses at a quicker pace more suited for tv. 

Just watched What We Do In The Shadows and it was awesome. If you haven't seen it, it's a mockumentary about 3 vampires who live in a flat together in New Zealand and their struggles with navigating the modern world. Some of the guys from Flight of the Conchords are in it. Really funny stuff!

I've been watching the newest season of Homeland.  I hate watch this show, but I'm liking this season as it's taking aim at shady shit in American intelligence and politics rather than just constantly being about caricatures of the scary Arabs.  

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I finished up Season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend today, which was excellent and had such a brilliant finale. I'm glad I was watching on Netflix though, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much with a weekly viewing. Another great show for the CW.

I enjoy the show a lot but it did seem like the second half of season 2 was a risky shift in the direction of the plot.  I was dreading the finale was going to ruin the show but I'm glad how it ended.  Mainly I was having a suspension-of-disbelief issue with how crazy Rebecca was getting, but her flashblacks to college clear that up -- yes, she really is that crazy!

16 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I enjoy the show a lot but it did seem like the second half of season 2 was a risky shift in the direction of the plot.  I was dreading the finale was going to ruin the show but I'm glad how it ended.  Mainly I was having a suspension-of-disbelief issue with how crazy Rebecca was getting, but her flashblacks to college clear that up -- yes, she really is that crazy!

I sort of agree, and that's why I mentioned that I don't think I would have liked week-to-week viewing. There were moments throughout where I was disappointed where the show seemed to be going, but it all comes together perfectly in the last two episodes, and shows that the writers really thought about the series as a whole and planned everything out. I should have had more faith, Aline Brosh McKenna and Rachel Bloom are extremely talented and intelligent, they know what they are doing

A few specific spoiler-y points:

The focus on the friendships between Rebecca and Paula and Rebecca/Heather/Valencia were my favourite parts of the season. It was so well handled, and paid off brilliantly in the last two episodes, especially the final scene with the four of them standing on the cliff top together. Also, Heather's snarky attitude is the best.

The departure of Greg was really sad, and Rebecca rushing to him at the airport was on of those moments that would have frustrated me in weekly viewing because it's so obvious she should let him go, but it looks like she's going to win him back. Then of course she doesn't. Which is sad because of how it leaves Rebecca, but a much healthier option for the both of them. Sad that he won't be on the show anymore (or so I assume). 

I loved the way the show dealt with Paula going to law school, her self-doubt, and her having an abortion. I thought it was handled tastefully, and realistically especially considering the light hearted tone of a comedy series like this.

Rebecca rejecting her father at the end was awesome.

Patti LuPone guest starring :wub:  "Streisand and Hitler, remember that we suffered." :lol: 

The funniest episodes for me were somewhere in the middle, the one with "Angelique" stood out, and I think the following episode too.

I couldn't even try and pick a favourite song. But I loved the "period sex" running joke with the continuous interruptions :lol: (and yes I know there is a full version online)

I have to agree with all that, Helena.  You even answered the questions I was going to ask you while reading your post.  :thumbsup:

Not my favorite song, but the one about the Santa Ana Winds was the best hand-waved motivation for making your characters border on out-of-character behaviour I've ever seen.

Spoiler

Throwing in the Stepbrothers movie reference to the Catalina Wine-Mixer was just unexpected and hilarious.

If I can find a playlist I might listen to all the season 2 songs today for the hell of it.

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I have to agree with all that, Helena.  You even answered the questions I was going to ask you while reading your post.  :thumbsup:

Maybe not favorite song, but the one about the Santa Ana Winds was the best hand-waved motivation for making your characters border on out-of-character behaviour I've ever seen.

Hide contents

Throwing in the Stepbrothers movie reference to the Catalina Wine-Mixer was just unexpected and hilarious.

If I can find a playlist I might listen to all the season 2 songs today for the hell of it.

Santa Ana Winds was good yeah, I liked the blatant "I'm the narrator, I'll be back!" The first half of the season probably had the best songs imo. Friendtopia, Love Triangle. And of course, Research Me...

(And thank you YouTube comments for making me pause on the obituary :lol: )

There is a playlist on YouTube with all the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend songs, and also Bloom's prior stuff (more music videos), which is equally hilarious. It's racheldoesstuff (which I suppose is Bloom's account). 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh good, now that song is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the night

:D

New Girl -- if this is a the final season, it's going out on a high note.  Schmidt finally gets a first name, and it's perfect.  Makes so much sense you'd think they planned it from the beginning. 

Next week's finale might be a series finale.

Archived