Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Way late to this one, but binging Peaky Blinders right now.  Midway through season two and really loving it.  I'm a sucker for the time period the show is set in, and it just looks fucking gorgeous.  

Ironically, this was the perfect show to watch coming off of playing the video game Valiant Hearts in the last month, because that game provided me with a ton of interesting facts about what soldiers went through in the first World War, and Peaky Blinders features quite a few characters who served and were damaged in the war.

Netflix Live

will arnett commentating on kitchen appliances.... applying aand other mundane things. A suspected April fools prank from netflix.

Idiocracy has officially arrived if people are unironically enjoying this

Ok I take it back, I can't stop watching.
Several returns to a close up of a thumb wrestling match. The final cut pans out and we find that it was Adam Sandler vs Barb from Stranger Things.

15 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Netflix Live

will arnett commentating on kitchen appliances.... applying aand other mundane things. A suspected April fools prank from netflix.

Idiocracy has officially arrived if people are unironically enjoying this

Ok I take it back, I can't stop watching.
Several returns to a close up of a thumb wrestling match. The final cut pans out and we find that it was Adam Sandler vs Barb from Stranger Things.

It's maybe the best thing I've ever seen!

slow motion replay of a toaster was incredible.

I watched the Ghostbusters remake. It was reasonably entertaining, I thought the basic plot worked fine and it did a decent job of updating the film but the script just wasn't as funny as the original film and it didn't have all that many memorable lines in it. I think it was worth watching once, but probably wouldn't rush to rewatch it.

Finished season 2 of Better Call Saul. Enjoyable but the ending was unsatisfying. I expected to go right to the next episode and, lo and behold, episode 10 was the finale. Felt like a midseason episode. Still good stuff but I think Season 1 was better overall.

Just saw that (a probably illegal version of) Season 2 of Gomorrah is on YouTube. I'd rather watch a legal, better quality version so that everyone involved in production gets due credit and acclaim... but damn do I want to watch more right now.

Going to try and tide myself over with something else but I don't know what. Maybe I'll finally get to Peaky Blinders.

Just watched "A monster calls". I thought it had a "Pan's labyrinth" vibe and that bore out but maybe even more heartbreaking. Weirdly one of Liam Neeson's strongest performances. He has a distinct voice but I've never rated it as a particularly emotional one except for when he's coldly telling people he has a particular set of skills. But here it's full of emotion, being scary yet warm and caring. Excellent work by him. They also do something really clever with the actor that adds a different dimension to the film

Liam Neeson's image is used to portray the mum's dad. There's a bit earlier in the film when the kid's mum tells him it's a shame he never met his Granda. It leaves a weird possibility that the Monster may also be some spiritual form of his Granda which adds a lot to the story and makes the part where it seems the mum can see and recognise the monster touching. Although it could just be she recognises one of her creations from her art book. Ambigiuity is sometimes a good thing.

It was also an incredibly strong performance by Lewis MacDougal. That's some tough material to convey for a 14 year old and he carried it off. A promising future. It's always nice to see Sigourney Weaver on screen too.

I can see it being a film that does better on home release - I hope so as it bombed at cinema. Despite being a film for kids the material isn't really that great for a family outing. Watching at home is probably a better environment for it. One of those cases where positive word of mouth could have harmed it eg "It's an excellent film but I wouldn't reccommend watching it at the cinema with your kids"

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Finished season 2 of Better Call Saul. Enjoyable but the ending was unsatisfying. I expected to go right to the next episode and, lo and behold, episode 10 was the finale. Felt like a midseason episode. Still good stuff but I think Season 1 was better overall.

Just saw that (a probably illegal version of) Season 2 of Gomorrah is on YouTube. I'd rather watch a legal, better quality version so that everyone involved in production gets due credit and acclaim... but damn do I want to watch more right now.

I also enjoyed season 1 of Saul more than season 2, even know all the Mike stuff is gold in s2. Pretty excited for it to start soon.

I'm halfway through Gomorrah and loving it. The actor who plays Don Pietro is amazing, as is the character itself. Excited to see where it goes as shit is starting to heat up.

Friday night I spotted Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides on tv and thought I'd give it a go. I was curious as to what it might have in common with the book that inspired it... not all that much as it turned out. My god, I never thought that I could miss KK or OB but this series is really a bit bare without them. The vampire mermaids were cool but honestly that was the highlight of the film, the rest of it was a tangled mess of stuff it was really difficult to care about. How I miss the imdb message boards now!

6 hours ago, Isis said:

Friday night I spotted Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides on tv and thought I'd give it a go. I was curious as to what it might have in common with the book that inspired it... not all that much as it turned out. My god, I never thought that I could miss KK or OB but this series is really a bit bare without them. The vampire mermaids were cool but honestly that was the highlight of the film, the rest of it was a tangled mess of stuff it was really difficult to care about. How I miss the imdb message boards now!

They are bringing OB back for the next one which seems a bit unfair leaving KK out. Although maybe she doesn't have the same cash flow problems that some of the core cast have?

I can't remember much about it other than Salma Hayek being wasted and Ian McShane moreso. Although I need to remind myself that Deadwood was the only script that ever made him awesome unless you love mullets and antiques. Although I'm hoping American Gods can finally provide with something to shine again.

Watched the Ghost in the Shell remake today, which I wouldn't say was a great film, but I did like it. More detailed thoughts in the dedicated thread.

8 hours ago, Isis said:

Like Red Snow I find it difficult to really remember much about the film.

In some ways I think Curse of the Black Pearl feels closer to Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides than the film that borrows its name, particularly in terms of the characters since Will and Elizabeth in the first film felt more like John and Elizabeth in the book than anyone in the OST film. Of course, the OST film does have the Fountain of Youth and Blackbeard but other than that seemed to have little connection.

I saw the trailer for the fifth Pirates film while waiting for Ghost in the Shell, and I doubt it's really going to rescue the series which has been on a downward trajectory since the first film.

Finished Big Little Lies. What an excellent series! I am so pleased I took the chance on this series. It had so many elements I initially wouldn't care for in the least with a series, but it was handled so well and became more and more compelling as the series progressed. Dark as hell with some of the subject matter, but riveting. Early 2017, but this is the best surprise for me so far this year.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Finished Big Little Lies. What an excellent series! I am so pleased I took the chance on this series. It had so many elements I initially wouldn't care for in the least with a series, but it was handled so well and became more and more compelling as the series progressed. Dark as hell with some of the subject matter, but riveting. Early 2017, but this is the best surprise for me so far this year.

Yesterday I saw a reading list for 'books to read if you like this show' and they all sounded quite appealing to me. I have to say I've not given the show a second glance as from the ads and trailers it looks like it's going to be salacious and lite on content...

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Yesterday I saw a reading list for 'books to read if you like this show' and they all sounded quite appealing to me. I have to say I've not given the show a second glance as from the ads and trailers it looks like it's going to be salacious and lite on content...

The ads make it seem that way (I got a bit of a Desperate Housewives vibe from the trailers) but it really isn't. It has some humorous/lighter moments but the overall subject matter is very dark and serious. Episode 4 airs tonight in the U.K. And so far I agree completely with Astromech, it's a brilliant series. Doesn't hurt having the big name leads either, some great performances by everyone involved

47 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The ads make it seem that way (I got a bit of a Desperate Housewives vibe from the trailers) but it really isn't. It has some humorous/lighter moments but the overall subject matter is very dark and serious. Episode 4 airs tonight in the U.K. And so far I agree completely with Astromech, it's a brilliant series. Doesn't hurt having the big name leads either, some great performances by everyone involved

Yeah, it really does seem like a Desperate Housewives type thing - which is really not my cup of tea. Maybe I will try it out when I get some time off work.

7 hours ago, Isis said:

Yeah, it really does seem like a Desperate Housewives type thing - which is really not my cup of tea. Maybe I will try it out when I get some time off work.

It seems that way after the first, maybe, two episodes, but it really comes into its own after that. It's based on the novel by Liane Moriarty, so probably not a complete surprise or new to some viewers.

The Real Ghostbusters animated series is on Netflix Streaming!

I'll be watching those, at least the Lorenzo Music episodes, I'll probably skip a lot of the Dave Coulier ones. Bill Murray was Venkman in the movies, Lorenzo Music was the voice Venkman in the cartoon as well as Garfield the cat in the cartoon, Bill Murray was the voice of Garfield in the movies. Dave Coulier was also the voice of Venkman in the cartoon, Allanis Morrisette sang about Dave Coulier. Isn't it ironic?

On 3/25/2017 at 2:31 PM, WarGalley said:

ETA: aaaaand Ciro goes straight Chris Partlow.

On 3/26/2017 at 0:16 PM, Mark Antony said:

Had to take a break after a certain ep where Ciro did a certain thing lol. Great character

Wtf. I just watched that episode and don't know who I'm rooting for anymore. Fucking cold-blooded. Awesome series. 

Archived