Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

2 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Haven't seen Life, but have only heard that it is very generic as you suspect. 

Just curious, what do mean when you say "I'm a sucker for space stuff (which is why I'm not watching The Expanse?)

Hah! I meant to say 'which is why I'm watching the expanse' 

Btw, the Expanse is pretty decent so far. About 5 episodes in. Thankfully it's not a 13 episode season! 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Btw, the Expanse is pretty decent so far. About 5 episodes in. Thankfully it's not a 13 episode season! 

Life is okay I wouldn't tell you not to watch it and if you like space stuff and like the cast then it's good cinema fun and eat lots of popcorn!! 

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, it doesn't hold any punches does it? 

Hide contents

The scene where she's in the bathtub is really hard to watch - I could barely look at the screen, and I suppose that is the point. There are moments in the latter half which I won't forget like the camera lingering on Hannah's face when she's in the bathtub with Bryce. The Alex suicide bit was odd - they almost forgot about it for one episode and then came back around to it. 

Jeff was great too - that actor didn't have too many scenes, but he made that role and his friendship with clay really work. Also, I didn't see that coming at all. 

It's a really strong series - and I totally didn't expect it to be! I'm kinda surprised they're setting it up for the second season. Tyler's box full of guns? certainly points towards some sort of school shooting if/ when the series picks up next season. 

Yes, I think the graphic portrayal of these things was intentional, and it was really effective. I thought the cast did a good job of selling these moments, especially the young girl playing Hannah. The hot tub scene was very disturbing, especially the way her eyes just went dead. 

I was curious to see what rating it was after the final episode and saw it's 18 per UK Netflix, that seems right. I wish I'd checked that before hand, i would have expected such graphic scenes. (I know there is a warning at the beginning of the episode)

I didn't see that coming with Jeff either, though in hindsight I should have realised he wasn't in any of the present day scenes so something had to be up. I also liked Kat too, though her absence was necessary for the plot. I liked that they had her back for the last episode. 

I feel a bit weird about Tony telling Clay that he was the one who killed Hannah Baker. How could he say that knowing what was on the tapes? Clay was the least culpable of any of them, and even Hannah says he shouldn't be on them but he needs to hear. I understand Clay feelimg responsible for not reach out, but I don't see why Tony would say so. 

7 hours ago, Raja said:

Whew! That makes so much more sense ;)

19 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm a sucker for space stuff ( which is why I'm not watching The Expanse) , and even though Life will probably end up being average, it's got Jake Gyllenhall in it so I'm probably going to go watch it at the cinema tomorrow.

It does have some nice shots of the International Space Station. It does have a surprisingly good cast (Gyllenhall, Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson) given how generic the script is.

49 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It does have some nice shots of the International Space Station. It does have a surprisingly good cast (Gyllenhall, Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson) given how generic the script is.

KILLING PEOPLE ...IS HARD 

LIKE FIREWORKS. ..POP POP PIP

:lol: 

So bad

Some of the shots are great though and it is pretty tense - it was good fun 

Watched Suicide Squad. Man... what an absolute mess of a movie. It's like the movie had no idea what it wanted to be. Grim and dark or fun and wacky? Serious or light-hearted? It tries everything and ends up just as... nothing. Also, the 'villain' was godawful... and that's saying a lot considering how weak many of the current comic book movie villains have been.

7 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Watched Suicide Squad. Man... what an absolute mess of a movie. It's like the movie had no idea what it wanted to be. Grim and dark or fun and wacky? Serious or light-hearted? It tries everything and ends up just as... nothing. Also, the 'villain' was godawful... and that's saying a lot considering how weak many of the current comic book movie villains have been.

The people who made Suicide Squad should have watched Deadpool.  It's like...this is basically what you're going for.  Violent and fun and funny.  You can get a little darker with Suicide Squad given the nature of the team, but you probably want to err on the side of humor.

Ironically, there was an animated Suicide Squad film (Batman: Assault on Arkham) that came out a year or two before the movie that was exactly what the movie should have been.  

Was recommended by a friend to watch, 13 reasons Why. What a great series. I didn't know it was a book until afterwards. And, when my kids are of appropriate age, I'd really like them to read or watch it. Everyone needs to know the effect bullying can have on a person. Call me cheesy or whatever, I was really moved by the series. 

Season 2 is a 13 episode season though. That should hit Netflix (outside the US) later this month.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, Argonath Diver said:

General non-spoiler reaction to Big Little Lies:  Wow! The music, scenery, and acting were all three just superb. I had major loathing at some point or another toward almost every lead, as well as extreme sympathy, at least for a moment or two. Every actor did a terrific job of keeping these characters wonderfully conflicted. Witherspoon's daughter had superior taste in music to me, and I am thirty years older than she. And the houses and vistas made me wish I was rich, and not crammed into this little Queens apartment.

Regarding the finale and my superspoiler theory:

Reveal hidden contents

My immediate interpretation is a set-up for a second season. The final shot through binoculars was the most obvious, but almost every episode showed views of major characters that seemed like a PI or a stalker or something. I shrugged most of them off, thinking they were just the other gossipy townspeople, but the last few minutes had a repeated sound of a lighter being flicked, right? Then the binoculars on the women.

Seems to me like they are setting up a second season where the liars will have to deal with ongoing fallout of the death, due to some mysterious person knowing about the lead-up and the crime. This could help explain the glossing over of the unresolved troubles. Remember, every single male lead was angry in the last few moments. I feel like a second run would involve a similar build-up where all those unresolved tensions lead to an unknown crime, and we have to guess which male character did it. I believe they only showed the women for two reasons - obviously, the themes of this show involve motherhood, and the things mothers will do for their children. A second season seems to justly need to explore fatherhood in the same way.

I'm convincing myself even more as I type this out. TIme to look at some other places to see interpretations as well! I didn't read Moriarty's novel, so I can't comment on whether she hinted at this idea for an extension. It's probably just me. I'd be pretty fine with this as just a 7 episode run, but there's still some great stuff that could come.

Not sure it needs a spoiler tag, but I'll follow suit . . .

Spoiler

As far as I'm aware it was a limited series based strictly on the novel. But who knows. If it was enough of a hit, maybe they will come up with some idea for a second season.

Yeah, it was from a single novel, and I think it works absolutely fine as a 7 part series. It wouldn't be a premium show without dangling some hints at a second season, I suppose. I doubt it'll happen.

My roommate is watching that 13 Reasons Why, and good lord I am glad I didn't. Whoof, that's some heavy stuff out in my living room.

On 4/4/2017 at 0:55 PM, dbunting said:

Big little lies was a really good show. At first I was like, wtf is this even about but after a few episodes I was really liking it. Shailine Woodley did a great job IMO as did Kidman.

Hide contents

The issue I had was with Perry being the man who raped Jane. That was way too convenient for me. As to each character, Madeline was clearly the least aware of how her actions affected other people. She thinks she is helping and what not, and at the end I think she truly did realize that she wasn't. I think her talking to her daughter was a break through and did show a lot of change. I am assuming she will/did tell Ed about the affair.  Celeste, obviously one of the most dynamic characters. Abused, blames herself, stays because she thinks it's better for the children only to learn that his abuse is being learned by Max.  Jane, really enjoyed her in all of this, except for the reveal at the end. As to the kid actors Ziggy and Chloe nailed their parts. The guys...Perry was supposed to be an ass and yeah, he nailed it. Ed, probably my favorite male lead on the show. Nathan, dousche bag supreme. Whenever Bonnie was around he was a new wave man, when she wasn't he was an asshole. 

I don't think I would want to see a second season. I like that this was wrapped up and is over.

Spoiler

What bothers me is the problems with Madeleine's character here are all due to the changes the showrunners made from the book.  In the book she never had an affair at all.

Second possible spoiler --

Spoiler

I also fear this long shot surveillance conclusion is a set-up for another season -- kinda of the way they did things in The Affair, dragging it on for season-after- season.

5 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Was recommended by a friend to watch, 13 reasons Why. What a great series. I didn't know it was a book until afterwards. And, when my kids are of appropriate age, I'd really like them to read or watch it. Everyone needs to know the effect bullying can have on a person. Call me cheesy or whatever, I was really moved by the series. 

Not cheesy at all, it's very powerful. An example of where being explicit/graphic is the correct choice.

34 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Yeah, it was from a single novel, and I think it works absolutely fine as a 7 part series. It wouldn't be a premium show without dangling some hints at a second season, I suppose. I doubt it'll happen.

My roommate is watching that 13 Reasons Why, and good lord I am glad I didn't. Whoof, that's some heavy stuff out in my living room.

Yeah not a light-hearted watch...

I'm up to date with Big Little Lies (episode 4 here in the U.K) which has really been fantastic so far. Sharlene Woodley is the standout for me, though the whole cast is brilliant.

Also started up IZombie season 3. Happiness, this show is the best.

Does anyone here watch Jane the Virgin? I'm looking for a new show and pondering that one...

I watched the movie version of Gomorrah. It's completely unrelated and different from the series (and no ties that I could discern). There's no main protagonist or antagonist, and no central plot or character arc really. It's pretty much a Crash-style film structure story of different people and their day to day life as it interacts with Italian organized crime. It feels a lot slower and natural than Gomorrah.. almost like the Italy scenes in the Godfather but without a singular focus on a character like Michael Corleone. Decent movie but I much prefer the series.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not cheesy at all, it's very powerful. An example of where being explicit/graphic is the correct choice.

Yes. Those last few episodes, the final in particular, were hard to watch. But, that's the point of it, and I'd say it could be used as a tool for middle to late teenagers to educate them on a lot of hard topics. 

Archived