Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Season 2 is a 13 episode season though. That should hit Netflix (outside the US) later this month.

Without giving anything away, do you think it deserved 13 episodes? The majority of Netflix shows have too many episodes, and I'm hoping the Expanse isn't another one of those. 

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yes. Those last few episodes, the final in particular, were hard to watch. But, that's the point of it, and I'd say it could be used as a tool for middle to late teenagers to educate them on a lot of hard topics. 

Or adults - don't discount the fact that *many* adults are oblivious to 1. Rape culture 2. The shit their children go through in school. 

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Office Christmas Party, so bad!  Seriously, why did I waste my time with that?

I'm fine with dumb comedies (I enjoyed Neighbors 2...really stupid, but it's actually funny), but they have to be funny enough to justify their existence.  Office Christmas Party just lacked the laughs to do so.  A shame, because the cast was great.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Without giving anything away, do you think it deserved 13 episodes? The majority of Netflix shows have too many episodes, and I'm hoping the Expanse isn't another one of those. 

I haven't seen it yet, but the near-unanimous consensus is that S2 is far superior to S1, so I guess it's worked out.

It also helps that it's based on a series of books, which means they're not running out of plot or getting repetitive which some of the Netflix shows struggle with (The Expanse is made by SyFy, not Netflix, they just show it outside the USA).

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I haven't seen it yet, but the near-unanimous consensus is that S2 is far superior to S1, so I guess it's worked out.

It also helps that it's based on a series of books, which means they're not running out of plot or getting repetitive which some of the Netflix shows struggle with (The Expanse is made by SyFy, not Netflix, they just show it outside the USA).

Odd - given that it said 'Netflix Original' - I assumed it was a netflix production. Hmm - I might pick up the books soon after I finish up with the first season. 

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm fine with dumb comedies (I enjoyed Neighbors 2...really stupid, but it's actually funny), but they have to be funny enough to justify their existence.  Office Christmas Party just lacked the laughs to do so.  A shame, because the cast was great.

Honestly it seemed like the kind of paint by numbers and phoning it in comedy that every one of the cast would make fun of brutally.  Now that's a commentary track I might want to see.

I watched the first two episodes of AMC's The Son with Pierce Brosnan and Zahn McClarnon. I wasn't extremely impressed tbh, but am also a sucker for Westerns. I'll give it a few more episodes.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Honestly it seemed like the kind of paint by numbers and phoning it in comedy that every one of the cast would make fun of brutally.  Now that's a commentary track I might want to see.

I just find it kind of shocking that they got so many funny people together and made something so unfunny.  

Rewatching the Leftovers in prep of the Final Season. This show went from being meh to one of my favorites. A rewatch really does do it favors. The first season feels especially strong now. And my opinion has completely turned around on the International Assassin episode now 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, briantw said:

Speaking of color by numbers comedies, I watched Going in Style this weekend. Your basic old guys decide "fuck it" movie. I liked it well enough and there were plenty of funny spots. Comparing the and Xmas Office, I would say this one wins going away.

I watched Spectral on Netflix. Overall it was entertaining enough for my time but it wasn't great. The science was completely eye-rolling. Sometimes I think it would be better to pretend that the science is too complicated to explain rather than make up some complete bullshit (sort of like the time travel explanation scene in Looper).  

Just started watching Luther on Netflix. I like it, I have never watched a British series before, and I really love the accents, it adds something, I don't know what exactly, but I like it. The dynamic between him and the Narcissist, is really good and want to see how that shakes out badly. Now, I know we have a lot of Brita on the board. Can you point me to a current sitcom that's popular over there. I want to experience some British humor.

11 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Just started watching Luther on Netflix. I like it, I have never watched a British series before, and I really love the accents, it adds something, I don't know what exactly, but I like it. The dynamic between him and the Narcissist, is really good and want to see how that shakes out badly. Now, I know we have a lot of Brita on the board. Can you point me to a current sitcom that's popular over there. I want to experience some British humor.

OK, so it's not current but it is fairly recent; you really can't go wrong with Peep Show.

I started watching 13 Reasons Why and my main takeaway thus far is that I wish growing up my dad had been as cool as Clay's weird hippy dad.  I feel like he'd help you with your homework and then spark up a bowl out back with you.

On 4/6/2017 at 7:31 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Oh I think he's fab, I'm a fan 

On 4/6/2017 at 10:21 PM, williamjm said:

It does have some nice shots of the International Space Station. It does have a surprisingly good cast (Gyllenhall, Ryan Reynolds, Rebecca Ferguson) given how generic the script is.

So, I watched Life - Spoilers ahead! 

HAVE PEOPLE LEARNED NOTHING FROM SUNSHINE? YOU DON'T LET HIROYUKI SANADA IN SPACE!!!!!!!!

You guys were right, it was just about decent but there was plenty of cool stuff in it. Love the tracking shot they opened with and 'calvin' was fucking scary you guys. I was squirming in the theatre. Also, Ryan Reynold's death was pretty disturbing. If the script was *slightly* better, it would have been a solid film, but it doesn't give the characters much to do. Jake Gyllenhall is still bae though. 

21 minutes ago, Raja said:

So, I watched Life - Spoilers ahead! 

Reveal hidden contents

HAVE PEOPLE LEARNED NOTHING FROM SUNSHINE? YOU DON'T LET HIROYUKI SANADA IN SPACE!!!!!!!!

You guys were right, it was just about decent but there was plenty of cool stuff in it. Love the tracking shot they opened with and 'calvin' was fucking scary you guys. I was squirming in the theatre. Also, Ryan Reynold's death was pretty disturbing. If the script was *slightly* better, it would have been a solid film, but it doesn't give the characters much to do. Jake Gyllenhall is still bae though. 

Every time they said the aliens name tho I just cracked up

Started watching Guerilla. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far though the ending of the second episode make me worry how ridiculous this might get

Jaz (a wanted criminal whose been plastered across newspapers and new stations) knocks on the door of Rhodesia house, shoots someone, points a gun at foreign diplomats then leaves. She then walks across the road right in front of the responding police car and the police completely ignore her. How incompetent am I supposed to believe these police are?

American Experience's 3-part series on the Great War to commemorate the United States' 100-year anniversary of entry into the First World War. Very good, covering the war itself, race relations, women's suffrage, President Wilson and his contradictions, the plight of German Americans.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/great-war/

Archived