Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Tbh I think that often the only difference between the MCU and FF in terms of smartness is that the MCU has superpowers to explain its superpowers. The writing's often but not alway sharper in the MCU, of course, but the Fast and Furious films never devolve into total incoherency even when totally departing the plane of physics reason and they have a surprising dedication to maintaining the consistency of the canon.

But really, the dumbness is the joy.

Anyway, once you take out the emotional factor and the moving tribute to Walker this one is a better film than the last one.

Not entirely sure I agree with that. This movie was insane and so so stupid. I much prefer the series when there was a little grounding in reality. I was entertained though. Statham was amazing.

Just finished re-watching a Hulu Original called Moone Boy. Really hilarious and well written. It's about a boy and his imaginary friend growing up in a small Irish town in the late '80s/early '90s. Chris O'Dowd created the show and plays the imaginary friend. Anybody else out there seen this show?

Apparently retired Canadian astronaut has a new documentary mini-series released today, called Miniverse.  It's released on a streaming app called CuriosityStream.

The premise is the solar system has been shrunk down to the size of the U.S. and Hadfield drives across the continent to check it out.  It's been described as "Scientists In Cars (But Not Getting Coffee)" sort of thing.  The app is first month free.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Tbh I think that often the only difference between the MCU and FF in terms of smartness is that the MCU has superpowers to explain its superpowers...

But really, the dumbness is the joy.

Anyway, once you take out the emotional factor and the moving tribute to Walker this one is a better film than the last one.

Yeesh. I will just say we'll have to agree to disagree on the degree of difference between FF & MCU. :P

And for me the dumbness brings no joy...only sorrow.

19 hours ago, Risto said:

I watched Seasons 1-7 of TGBBO last year... It was amazing. Season 4's episode with gingerbread houses and young James Morton making his spooky barn is my all-time favorite. The faces of the judges, his reaction, it was awesome.

Apparently all of the seasons have aired on PBS over here, so I need to look into that. This show is just sow damn cheerful with the puns and buns. I don't know how Mary Berry stays so thin though. Has to be genetics. Or bulimia. 

16 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Just finished re-watching a Hulu Original called Moone Boy. Really hilarious and well written. It's about a boy and his imaginary friend growing up in a small Irish town in the late '80s/early '90s. Chris O'Dowd created the show and plays the imaginary friend. Anybody else out there seen this show?

Watched one or two eps when it first aired. Didn't like it.

Last night we watched an ep of Maigret (just to have a change of pace from Poirot). It still feels weird for Rowan Atkinson to be in a serious role. The overall tone of the show was far more serious than Poirot, as the latter always has some humour to it in places. I think we will watch the rest of the eps - of which I think there are only about three!

19 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

I loved that show. Like a weird combination of Wilfred and Malcolm in the Middle, but with a lot more heart.

I finished Steins;Gate, which was a unique, engaging and well-told time-travel story. I'm now going to pick up Attack on Titan again, since now I don't have to wait for season two anymore.

I'm also almost done with Downton Abbey, which I guess has become a guilty pleasure, and I'm continuing Justified with season two. I've heard great things about the remainder of this series so I'm looking forward to it.

On 18/04/2017 at 11:08 AM, Isis said:

Last night we watched an ep of Maigret (just to have a change of pace from Poirot). It still feels weird for Rowan Atkinson to be in a serious role. The overall tone of the show was far more serious than Poirot, as the latter always has some humour to it in places. I think we will watch the rest of the eps - of which I think there are only about three!

I just watched those three eps over the last couple of nights.  Quite enjoyable.  There's nothing extremely clever or dramatic but it's well made and watchable.  I like the Maigret character too - he doesn't have flashy brainwaves, just does police work until the murderer turns up.

On 18/04/2017 at 11:15 PM, First of My Name said:

Just finished the final episode of Twin Peaks.

WHAT.

Remember, If you confront the BLACK LODGE with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul.

I've also been watching the Good Fight with the adorable Rose Leslie and Christine Baranski.  It's an odd mix of network and cable (or in this case streaming service) stuff.  But generally the quality seems as high as the Good Wife (which i haven't actually finished watching but it's not very spoilery).  Elsbeth Tascioni vs Mike Kreseva is hilarious.  And the opening sequence is great.

13 hours ago, First of My Name said:

...I'm also almost done with Downton Abbey, which I guess has become a guilty pleasure, and I'm continuing Justified with season two. I've heard great things about the remainder of this series so I'm looking forward to it.

Both of those series have ups and downs but ultimately more ups than downs. And both have pretty good series finales. Hope you stick with 'em and enjoy. 

11 hours ago, john said:

Remember, If you confront the BLACK LODGE with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul.

The implications of this do not bode well at all :( I'm really curious how they'll pick up on this when they return to the story.

7 hours ago, Durckad said:

God, that episode is so fucking good.

It really was. It made up for the somewhat lacklustre second half of season two. I can't wait for the revival now, fortunately it's only two months away.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Both of those series have ups and downs but ultimately more ups than downs. And both have pretty good series finales. Hope you stick with 'em and enjoy. 

Glad to hear it. I intend to :) 

Went to see Raw yesterday*. Definitely a worthwhile film to see, but it is incredibly hard to look at in many places. But then that's what makes it such a good film I guess, there's so much tension and you fear what will come next and you want to know but you don't want to see. Ultimately I found it was way more literal than I expected it to be, like - I didn't think it was going to be so focused and explicitly about...the thing that it's about (sorry, I don't want to spoil anyone here). I thought it might be more metaphorical or have a more general, more ambiguous nature to it.

It has a lot in common with Ginger Snaps (a favourite of mine) - a coming of age film with a young female protagonist who's an outsider, trying to fit in, who has a weird relationship with her sister. But where Ginger Snaps is shocking and funny, Raw is shocking and horrifying. 

*I don't think I will ever watch this film again.

I rewatched Ginger Snaps a couple of days ago. It's like Heathers with werewolves. I had forgotten how funny Mimi Rogers is as the mother, it's a subtle performance but works so well against the uber drama of the two girls. LOVE THIS FILM.

Archived