Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Resurection: Ertugrul (2014)  Turkish television

From Wiki:

Diriliş: Ertuğrul (English: The Revival: Ertuğrul) is a Turkish historical adventure television series created by Mehmet Bozdağ, starring Engin Altan Düzyatan in the title role. It is filmed in Riva, a village in Beykoz, intracity district of Istanbul, and premiered on TRT 1 in Turkey on December 10, 2014. The show is based on the history of the Oghuz Turks and takes place in the 13th century and centers around the life of Ertuğrul, the father of Osman I, the leader of the Ottoman Turks and the founder and namesake of the dynasty that established and ruled the Ottoman Empire. While only a small principality during Ertuğrul's lifetime, would prevail as a world empire under his son's dynasty for the next six centuries after his death

Love it, and I’m only 2 episodes into the 30 episodes on offer.  An historical medieval sword and intrigue adventure – conflicting Turkic tribes, intra-family feuding, Mongols and Templars in the 13th century.  It scratches that itch admirably.  As with most historical sword etc. fighting dramatizations these days, it's borrowed a lot of the techniques from the Japanese wuxia.

I caved and watched Season 2 of Gomorra and just finished the finale. I have the same gut punched feeling I had after the series finale of the Shield. Monstrous. From first episode to last, they never took the foot off the pedal after the Season 1 finale. My judgment may be colored because I'm still coming off the high, but I think I enjoyed this show more than Westworld or Fargo.. and just from the sheer story and characters. 

56 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I caved and watched Season 2 of Gomorra and just finished the finale. I have the same gut punched feeling I had after the series finale of the Shield. Monstrous. From first episode to last, they never took the foot off the pedal after the Season 1 finale. My judgment may be colored because I'm still coming off the high, but I think I enjoyed this show more than Westworld or Fargo.. and just from the sheer story and characters. 

Good to hear. I just finished S1 on Netflix, and will be watching S2 weekly on Sundance starting this week. 

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I watched episodes 3 and 4 today. Will likely finish out season 2 this week. It has not slowed at all, awesome show. 

I just watched Suicide Squad twice.  I was entertained by it but definitely my least favorite portrayal of Joker I've seen.  He covered crazy well, but he didn't have the charisma that I associate with him.

Fun movie, just not something I need to have on DVD or take any time to see later on.

15 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I just watched Suicide Squad twice.  I was entertained by it but definitely my least favorite portrayal of Joker I've seen.  He covered crazy well, but he didn't have the charisma that I associate with him.

Fun movie, just not something I need to have on DVD or take any time to see later on.

In a row? Dmn. I'm not sure how to respond to that. My condolences, I guess. :/

I kid. I kid. Sorta. I too saw it twice. Once in the theater in IMAX 3D, and I thought it was fun, not great, but a fun time at the theater. Margot Robbie and Will Smith carried it. Leto's Joker was interesting to watch if not altogether my cup-o-tea.

Then I got the extended cut on bluray for Christmas and watched it a second time. It...wasn't good. I think there's a good movie in there, somewhere. Ayer is a good director (End of Watch and Fury are fantastic) but I think the editing is what really hurt Suicide Squad the most and the extended cut didn't help matters.

18 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

You are a saint to the cause. I have struggled to get 1h into that movie numerous times. It reminds me a lot of The Crow 2: City of Angels.. in that its a garbled mess which feels like you accidentally walked into the editing room and were looking at the outtakes they left in the bin, scrabbled together. 

Watched the finale of Big Little Lies (which we only got in the U.K. yesterday). The series as a whole was brilliant but the finale really brought everything together in such a powerful, emotional way. The entire cast killed it throughout, I can't even say that one cast member stood out because they were all so good. I loved it. The highlight of the year so far, as far as TV goes. 

I watched the film FREE FIRE tonight and it was pretty disappointing. It's an interesting premise, an entire film that explores what would be one scene in some films--a big gun fight in real time. The witty one-liners were hit or miss, and the characterization was severely lacking. It was trying really hard to be Reservoir Dogs without the flashbacks (or believable American accents). One of the brilliant things about the flashbacks in Reservoir Dogs though was how it helped establish characters and their motivations. This film did not do that well at all.

I also saw Free Fire yesterday and really liked it, and it was much funnier than expected. It obviously does have big similarities to Reservoir Dogs, but it was more of a straight shoot 'em up black comedy that didn't take itself nearly as seriously. I also have a soft spot for Ben Wheatley and can understand why this isn't everyone's cup of tea though.

Just finished Lost for the first time. Loved it.

About to start Breaking Bad, Ive never seen it. Trying to get through S4 of The Originals, sadly I think its done. Eagerly awaiting Orange is the New Black and of course GoT, Oh and Outlander s3.

On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:54 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

In a row? Dmn. I'm not sure how to respond to that. My condolences, I guess. :/

I kid. I kid. Sorta. I too saw it twice. Once in the theater in IMAX 3D, and I thought it was fun, not great, but a fun time at the theater. Margot Robbie and Will Smith carried it. Leto's Joker was interesting to watch if not altogether my cup-o-tea.

Then I got the extended cut on bluray for Christmas and watched it a second time. It...wasn't good. I think there's a good movie in there, somewhere. Ayer is a good director (End of Watch and Fury are fantastic) but I think the editing is what really hurt Suicide Squad the most and the extended cut didn't help matters.

Well, wasn't in a row - watched it one night then the next night since my wife wanted to see it and I wanted to watch her reaction to Harley.

Yeah, not excited for a second movie if this does become a franchise.

Watched Get Out.  Enjoyable horror film.  I thought the first half of the movie was a bit slow and boring, but the second half was great.  It definitely went in a direction I wasn't expecting and had a couple of cool twists.

Spoiler

I do think it was beyond stupid when Chris called 911 at the end of the movie, though.  It's like, dude, you're a black guy who just murdered a handful of rich white people in their home and then set the home on fire.  If the cops show up, you're going to jail for the rest of your life.  No cop is going to believe your crazy story.  Kill them all, burn the house down, destroy any evidence you were ever there, and get the fuck out of dodge.  

Stopping after hitting Georgina was idiotic too, but at least they explained why he would do that.  Of course, it did feel like the writer retroactively added that tidbit about his past to justify his stupid dumb horror movie behavior at the end, but I'll at least accept it because it was a dumb decision with a logical explanation, which is rare in the horror genre.  

Great performances from the cast as well, and it's always fun to see Stephen Root pop up in anything.  Dude is awesome in every role.

finished the Expanse, Magicians, the Outsiders, the Path, Hap and Leonard, Colony, and Homeland in the past week or two.. Added, the leftovers, Fargo, the White Princess, Guerilla, and better Call Saul.... we've started binging Bosch S3... and we're going to start The Handmaids Tale 

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

finished the Expanse, Magicians, the Outsiders, the Path, Hap and Leonard, Colony, and Homeland in the past week or two.. Added, the leftovers, Fargo, the White Princess, Guerilla, and better Call Saul.... we've started binging Bosch S3... and we're going to start The Handmaids Tale 

How are you finding Guerilla? I started it and watched the first two episodes. Not sure how I felt about it. I guess the fact I haven't gone back is telling though

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How are you finding Guerilla? I started it and watched the first two episodes. Not sure how I felt about it. I guess the fact I haven't gone back is telling though

To my knowledge, there have only been two episodes here in the States...... maybe you're in England?... Since there are only 6 episodes.... I'll stick with it.... besides, I'll watch anything with Idris Elba in it 

But you're right... it's watchable, but not great. 

58 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

To my knowledge, there have only been two episodes here in the States...... maybe you're in England?... Since there are only 6 episodes.... I'll stick with it.... besides, I'll watch anything with Idris Elba in it 

But you're right... it's watchable, but not great. 

Yeah Sky Atlantic dropped all episodes at once here, 13th April. The end of the second episode bothered me so much

I'm talking about Jas walking into an unguarded Rhodesia house, holding them at gunpoint and then walking out in front of the police car and getting away. It wouldn't  really be enough to make me quit, usually. But I have too many other shows I'm enjoying at the minute so I dropped it. Might come back to it if there is a TV lull, but we're getting into prime tv season for me now. American Gods and Sense8 are next week, after all

Archived