Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Oh, I also watched this Warren Beatty film from the 70's called Parallax View - about a journalist who investigates a shadowy multinational conspiracy group thing. I had high hopes for it. I'm on a real 1970's appreciation trip lately. And to be fair Warren Beatty's character was alright as a brash, go-it-alone, down-on-his-luck MANLY MAN. The plot was actually ok, as it panned out in the end. But, I don't know, it just felt a bit flat and even a bit overly long, almost boring toward the end. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

Nearing the end of the first season of Gomorrah.  You guys weren't fucking around...this show is fantastic.  

I'll reserve additional commentary until I'm finished with the first season.  There's one story point that I think was a bit of a stretch motivation-wise, but I'm going to let the last two and a half episodes play out first, as it's possible they will reveal the precise motivations behind it.

Finished Big Little Lies. A show my Mrs enjoyed far more than I did. She was totally gripped by it and I think it played into a 'sex in the city' hole in her life, with a bunch of rich beautiful women who are all friends despite their difficulties, a bunch of domestic issues and gossip as well as an over arching murder mystery. 

By the end I was far more interested, but the first few episodes were a real drag for me, I couldn't really find any genuine reason for the show existing for a while. The murder at the beginning was of interest but the way they set it up meant I didn't really care who it was until the end (and then it was pretty predictable) 

On 5/7/2017 at 7:48 AM, Nictarion said:

Gomorrah is absolutely brilliant. One of my favorite shows I've ever watched. Halfway through S2 now. Acting and writing is superb, but another thing I really love is the main music that closes out each episode. So good.

Yeah, you get lost in the story and the characters but I really like the music including the piano(?) theme that plays during the dramatic moments. I wish I could understand the lyrics for the end credits song.. I find myself watching Gomorrah to the end of the credits because of that song and the interspersing of scenes in the next episode. That's a nice touch.

Finished off Big LIttle Lies this week as well.  Everyone was really great in that and it did just keep getting more intriguing as it went along, like others are saying on here.  One thing in the finale that I initially interpreted quite differently from the others here, though:

As I was reading the spoilers here, several people were talking about how Perry ended up being the one who raped Jane.  "Ha! These dullards," I thought smugly.  "There's no way that was meant to be taken literally, she was just visualizing the violent man in front of her in place of her attacker.  It was just like several other times during the series when she visualized shooting him or following him or seeing him places."

But a quick Google search proved me wrong.  I guess it's confirmed more concretely in the book, but yes, Perry raped Jane and is Ziggy's father.  So...  I guess he was doing that around the same time he was fathering the twins, since those kid were all the same age, right?  Yup, I agree, don't like the timing and coincidence of that twist.

Netflix's production in company with the CBC of Anne of Green Gables went up yesterday.

It's very good. More emphasis is given to the darker threads in the novel's text, while still providing what generations of readers have loved about Anne With An 'e'.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:26 PM, Mark Antony said:

Watched the final three episodes of the third season of Mad Men. Whoa now I see why this show is considered in and around the HBO greats. What a quality run of eps.

Did you find the third season remarkably better than the first two?

I stopped watching sometime during season 2, didn't think it was a bad show but it just didn't hook me in any way

Just saw on Netflix that there is a new series featuring the horse from the animated film Spirit. I didn't realize a series about a 12 year old moderately successful animated film about an insightful horse and his sarcastic inner monologue was what society was clamoring for.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Did you find the third season remarkably better than the first two?

I stopped watching sometime during season 2, didn't think it was a bad show but it just didn't hook me in any way

Not remarkably better no. Honestly it took a long time to hook me. I had tried to watch it before as well and stopped after the pilot lol. 

I can handle unlikable characters but they weren't even interesting at all to me for a while but idk now I can't stop watching it. 

just watched season 2 of Fortitude. I thought there wasn't a need for another season but they actually expanded things quite nicely. They upped the horror aspect significantly and there were a lot of surpises. Grim throughout (no wonder all the characters are heavy drinks) but offset by the beauty of Iceland. I also liked how ambiguous the characters were - Dormer's "Dan" was hard to peg throughout despite him doing a lot of bad things - the same with the shaman.

Ken Stott showed again he can play a weasel effectively although it was pretty laughable whenever he tried to affect a nowegian accent on top of his standard scottish

I watched Hacksaw Ridge. Better performance from Andrew Garfield than I was expecting. The film had some cheesy shots and moments and the end was a complete copy of Band of Brothers (no less powerful though). Pretty good movie overall -- I can't believe he lowered soldiers from a cliff by rope. That just seems crazy.

Also watched Moonlight. Good movie and really good acting by virtually everyone -- even the kids. Not sure Mahershala Ali should have won the best actor award for 30 minutes of screentime but that's Hollywood for you.

15 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I watched Hacksaw Ridge. Better performance from Andrew Garfield than I was expecting. The film had some cheesy shots and moments and the end was a complete copy of Band of Brothers (no less powerful though). Pretty good movie overall -- I can't believe he lowered soldiers from a cliff by rope. That just seems crazy.

And it's not like he just saved a handful of guys, it really is an amazing story. More people should see it regardless of how they feel about Mel Gibson . 

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Also watched Moonlight. Good movie and really good acting by virtually everyone -- even the kids. Not sure Mahershala Ali should have won the best actor award for 30 minutes of screentime but that's Hollywood for you.

He won best supporting actor though.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:27 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Finished Big Little Lies. A show my Mrs enjoyed far more than I did. She was totally gripped by it and I think it played into a 'sex in the city' hole in her life, with a bunch of rich beautiful women who are all friends despite their difficulties, a bunch of domestic issues and gossip as well as an over arching murder mystery. 

By the end I was far more interested, but the first few episodes were a real drag for me, I couldn't really find any genuine reason for the show existing for a while. The murder at the beginning was of interest but the way they set it up meant I didn't really care who it was until the end (and then it was pretty predictable) 

Nicole Kidman... She is all the reason I needed after I watched this. She is so beautiful, so gripping in this. I fell in love with her once again :D 

We watched a classic bad Friday night film - The Pyramid. It features Anubis which is a redeeming feature, maybe its only one in fact. It's not a truly terrible film and if you like pyramids you might enjoy a bit of mindless, slightly predictable adventure/horror-based fun. 

Currently attempting to watch 13 Reasons Why but finding it quite plodding and heavy going. It's not really sharp enough or fast-moving enough for my tastes. I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it picks up. 

...Ok it got a bit more interesting. I think it doesn't help that the 'narrator' isn't entitely sympathetic (ie I don't want to listen to her endlessly). But I guess that's kind of the point!

Archived