Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

I was fishing around on Netflix for something to watch(first time I renewed without being excited for at least two or three shows) and decided to try out the Belgian noir The Break (La Treve) set in a small town in the Ardennes. Only one episode in so far, but really like the atmosphere. I added a few more crime/noir series to the list: Wallander, Hotel Bea Sejour, Bordertown, Hinterland. Not sure when I'll actually get to watch all of them.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

People in the UK are saying that Harlots is the interesting addictive fictionalized experience of the general time period in London that Taboo failed miserably at being.  Not having seen Harlots myself, cannot say. :)

Meh, I thought Harlots was historical trashy awfulness and completely different in tone from Taboo. Granted I only watched one episode but I hated what I saw. 

But then I liked Taboo, despite its plodding pace and style over substance. 

Season 4 of The Americans is finally on Amazon. Was able to pick up where I left off, with episode 4. So good, I always forget how brilliant this show is. And of course, what an episode to jump back in on...

Nina

:crying: 

Watching American Gods inspired me to start Hannibal back up again. I watched like half of S1 a while back and really struggled to get into it. The second half of season is much better though. Particularly the last couple episodes. Going to try and watch S2 & S3 soon. 

Saw King Arthur this weekend.

Didn’t like it. Very fantasy focused, loads of flashy CGI, but poor characters and poor story.

Just not engaging. Excalibur is High Fantasy weapon of massive power, which has some value in itself in terms of spectacle, but it becomes all about the sword and someone wielding it rather than about Arthur, or knights, or anything to do with the Arthurian legend really. Secondary characters... crap.

Excalibur, First Knight and 2004’s King Arthur were all significantly better and I’m left with the feeling that it is a massive shame we didn’t get a great King Arthur film.

All of this budget and opportunity, utterly wasted.

As Trump would say: Not good. Sad.

16 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Saw King Arthur this weekend.

Didn’t like it. Very fantasy focused, loads of flashy CGI, but poor characters and poor story.

Just not engaging. Excalibur is High Fantasy weapon of massive power, which has some value in itself in terms of spectacle, but it becomes all about the sword and someone wielding it rather than about Arthur, or knights, or anything to do with the Arthurian legend really. Secondary characters... crap.

Excalibur, First Knight and 2004’s King Arthur were all significantly better and I’m left with the feeling that it is a massive shame we didn’t get a great King Arthur film.

All of this budget and opportunity, utterly wasted.

As Trump would say: Not good. Sad.

The worst thing anyone has ever said about a movie.

(Trying to reply to @HelenaExMachina's post about the Americans, but the board is playing up).

I know it was the inevitable conclusion of Nina's story arc, but it was still a shock when it happened, perhaps partly due to the matter-of-fact way in which it was done

Annoyingly there still seems to be no airdate for The Americans season 5 in the UK, other than that a vague suggestion of it being in the summer.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

(Trying to reply to @HelenaExMachina's post about the Americans, but the board is playing up).

Annoyingly there still seems to be no airdate for The Americans season 5 in the UK, other than that a vague suggestion of it being in the summer.

You need to remove the spoiler tags if you quote at the minute, for some reason.

I may actually be able to watch season 5 as it airs this year then!

Yes, I agree it was inevitable yet shockingly the same time. When he announced she had lost her appeal I assumed her death would come at the end of the season after some last efforts by Oleg and then they just shot her there and then. I really loved the character so it was sad to see her go. 

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watching American Gods inspired me to start Hannibal back up again. I watched like half of S1 a while back and really struggled to get into it. The second half of season is much better though. Particularly the last couple episodes. Going to try and watch S2 & S3 soon. 

Is that streaming anywhere? I've always wanted to watch it. 

Just watched the first ep of Riverdale. I'm into it. Seems like a fun cast, nice setting in Vancouver, good soundtrack, and intriguing mystery.

I started S4 of The 100. It's still quality. Impressed with the legs this show sprouted after the first season. Was a raw start but finds its stride.

I'm peeved that Fios OD makes you pay $2.99 per episode to watch the effing Americans. I watched the first season back when it premiered, and wanted to get back into it, but I refuse to pay money to watch a 5 year old episode on a channel that I pay for. Fuck that.

I'm not watching Riverdale but if I was my first thought would be that you do not get a comprehensive six pack like that from 'working construction'. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

I'm not watching Riverdale but if I was my first thought would be that you do not get a comprehensive six pack like that from 'working construction'. 

Yeah that was quite the accomplishment.

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

All 3 seasons are on Amazon Prime. 

Okay thank you. That's on the list.

I recently read Eaters of the Dead and it gave me an inclination to re-watch The 13th Warrior, so yesterday I did just that. It was just as marvellous as ever. It is a very flawed movie, it's very cheesy and silly and I love it so much and will never tire of it. And this time around I managed to figure something out about it that has always eluded me. Despite having seen the movie many times I have never gotten the count of the warriors to more than 12 that I could actually rememberer. However this time around I realized that the 13th and last warrior is a teenage boy that is never shown fighting, barely has any screen time and has no lines, which makes him very easy to miss. I also noticed that the character that the end-credits give the epithet "The Dour" spends most of his limited screen-time laughing.

I have also watched Fortitude which I liked very much. It didn't quite turn out to be watch I expected it to be when I started watching, but I think it was all the better for it. And it was seriously more gory and grisly than I expected. Plus there's some really good acting, particularly from Richard Dormer and Stanley Tucci. Dennis Quaid was a solid addition for season two too.

Just finished a binge of Sense8, as good as the first season.

Skipped seeing Arthur at the movies, the previews just looked horrible. As others said, be wary of Taboo. On Hannible, it really sucked me in but then it really spit me back out. I stopped watching partway through the last season.

Currently enjoying the Leftovers and Better Call Saul.

What is Sense8 about? I understand there's people all over the world who suddenly become telepathically linked but is there an overarching plot or a villain? I watched the first episode and never really got into it. It gave me a strong Lost vibe which made me disinterested as I always thought Lost had neverending plot twists and turns without any satisfying conclusions along the way.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

What is Sense8 about? I understand there's people all over the world who suddenly become telepathically linked but is there an overarching plot or a villain? I watched the first episode and never really got into it. It gave me a strong Lost vibe which made me disinterested as I always thought Lost had neverending plot twists and turns without any satisfying conclusions along the way.

There is an overarching villain that really gets fleshed out in Season 2. In season 1, they are there, but the villains are generally the villains of the individual stories.

Sense8 can be tough at first since it's not clear what's happening, no one is really connected and the rules haven't been established. The show really starts taking off in episode 4. If you don't like the show after episode 4, it might not be for you, but I'd give it to that point because the first few episodes are really tough given they created the season with the idea that people will binge/watch the show in chunks.

I personally love it. One of my favorite shows on TV despite the flaws. It's just a show that hits all of my emotions.

On 5/17/2017 at 6:31 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Meh, I thought Harlots was historical trashy awfulness and completely different in tone from Taboo. Granted I only watched one episode but I hated what I saw. 

But then I liked Taboo, despite its plodding pace and style over substance. 

Agreed.... comparing Taboo to Harlots is like comparing Breaking Bad to Two and a Half Men

.... and I also liked taboo... I mean, it wasn't great.... but neither did it suck.... its greatest crime was not living up to expectations...

Been watching Catastrophe. Never heard of it before but saw it on Amazon and decided to give it a try. Love it so far, really funny. And was really surprised to see the late Carrie Fisher shownup a few times. 

Watched the first episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 : The Return. I think they've done a decent job of capturing the charm of the original show, and the Danish monster movie they were watching was amusingly bad.

Archived