Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Netflix's downvoting feature restored my faith. Aleluya.

I've been watching a lot of series lately but Las chicas del cable is the one I wanted to recommend. A Netflix original set in Spain, it revolves around the lives of some employees of the first telephone company in Madrid, in the late '20's. It has a lot of soap opera elements, but the production is really nice. The character development is quite fair, though not deep. It deals with a lot of subplots, with feminism being one of the key issues (women not being able to vote, to divorce, etc.), politics, moral, etc. Sometimes the coincidences stretch too far in favor of the plot moving, but it is expected. One thing that stood out for me was the music. Anachronic music that sometimes just feels right, and other times it's just absurd (like in the dancing scenes, where the actors just look weird moving out of rhythm). Overall I enjoyed it and I'll be really pleased when/if season 2 is announced.

Also, I'm currently watching Outlander, but it's turning out too cheesy for me. My bad for not expecting it to be a romance :/

I've been trying to watch the original Twin Peaks for the first time, in prep for the new series, but on the 4th or 5th episode and I don't know if I give a damn to continue.  Some of the acting is too '80s TV bad.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I've been trying to watch the original Twin Peaks for the first time, in prep for the new series, but on the 4th or 5th episode and I don't know if I give a damn to continue.  Some of the acting is too '80s TV bad.

I just started the original too. It's technically a rewatch since I saw it when it originally aired, but I was only 10 and remember close to nothing...besides Bob freaking me the fuck out. I'm only 1 episode in and haven't noticed anything too cheesy or anything, but I am kinda nervous about how it has aged as a whole. 

On 5/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Been watching Catastrophe. Never heard of it before but saw it on Amazon and decided to give it a try. Love it so far, really funny. And was really surprised to see the late Carrie Fisher shownup a few times. 

I love this show! And thanks for reminding me about it; I totally forgot S3 was released last month. I wonder if Fisher shows up in S3 at all?

14 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I love this show! And thanks for reminding me about it; I totally forgot S3 was released last month. I wonder if Fisher shows up in S3 at all?

Just started season 3 today (yes I watched two seasons already don't judge me, they're pretty short). Iirc Fisher had already filmed her scenes for S3 before she passed away.

eta: yes, can confirm she appears in episode 6. Pretty sad, because you can tel they were going to give her some stuff next season too :( 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Just started season 3 today (yes I watched two seasons already don't judge me, they're pretty short). Iirc Fisher had already filmed her scenes for S3 before she passed away.

eta: yes, can confirm she appears in episode 6. Pretty sad, because you can tel they were going to give her some stuff next season too :( 

LOL! No shame at all. They're only 6 eps per season, right? I sat through all of Master of None S2 in one night. I watched S3E1 earlier today and it was good.

That sex dream was a cheap gag though. Sharon can be unlikeable enough without that nonsense. I literally screamed at the TV, "This better be a damn dream sequence!" The bit after, when she woke up, was funny, so fair play, I guess.

;)

Glad to know I can look forward to seeing Carrie Fisher, if only for an episode. I'm guessing they'll write her death into the story next season. My guess is they'll have to take the family back to Rob's hometown for the funeral. That could be a good episode or two. 

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

LOL! No shame at all. They're only 6 eps per season, right? I sat through all of Master of None S2 in one night. I watched S3E1 earlier today and it was good.

Reveal hidden contents

That sex dream was a cheap gag though. Sharon can be unlikeable enough without that nonsense. I literally screamed at the TV, "This better be a damn dream sequence!" The bit after, when she woke up, was funny, so fair play, I guess.

;)

Glad to know I can look forward to seeing Carrie Fisher, if only for an episode. I'm guessing they'll write her death into the story next season. My guess is they'll have to take the family back to Rob's hometown for the funeral. That could be a good episode or two. 

Six episodes each yep. Wish it was longer! 

I really like how in S2 and S3 the show has portrayed the very real stuggles and day-to-day battles that all too many families face now, with financial pressures, job worries, relationship woes, housing, ageing parents, growing old themselves, etc. I may not be that age myself but I recently saw my parents go through it so it was funny to watch and think yeah, I've just watched this in real life :P 

Also I loved Master of None. Season 2 was fantastic. Favourite was the Thanksgiving episode and then the episode exploring the lives of various people in New York where the main cast barely appeared. 

And so much food! That show makes me crave so much food :lol: 

Watched Anne with an E.  I barely remember the Anne of Green Gables books.  This seemed a bit different.  Total cry fest.  Short enough to remain engaged and not waste an entire weekend binge watching.  Looking forward to next season.

I watched season 2 of Master of None. When it is good it is very good, especially the Thanksgiving episode and the one with the Taxi-drivers, but unfortunately most of the season was dominated by a really bad arc. I hated the romance and though the whole thing felt flat, unbelievable and a little bit like wish fulfilment. The romance stuff in the first season worked a lot better. And I just find Dev to be kinda hard to relate too.

Plus, now I got that fucking Vengabus song stuck in my head, so fuck this show. 

I recently started watching Lost.  When it originally aired, I stopped watching after season 3.  It seemed like it was never going to end, and every episode prompted more questions than it answered.  This time through I'm just going to focus on the character development and the conflicts that arise between them.  So far, I have only watched the first 4 episodes.

My problem with season one of Master of None was the romance and the wish fulfilment element of it. That's what made me give up on it ( that and it not being funny) it simply wasn't believable.

Anzari is far better when he's playing someone you love to hate, like in Parks and Rec. He's a very difficult person to like. Unlike Louis CK , on which this show is clearly taking notes from, who is even likeable when he's being a dick.

8 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Anzari isn't funny at all, Yeh I said it

Yeah, wouldn't disagree with that. I've liked him in a couple of things, but not through any power of his own. Other people writing for him can do him good, but on his own he is a pretty weak comedian. Master of None is maybe the most overrated show I've seen in a long time.

On 2017-5-28 at 0:11 AM, Leap said:

Just seen Hell or High Water, which was fantastic. The four (three?) main actors were excellent, the soundtrack was great. I liked the writing for the most part, it was a great story with mostly very strong dialogue. Overall, just a really enjoyable film, one that I'm glad to say wasn't totally depressing in spite of it's subject, which is a pleasant change to be honest.

Yeah I watched that on a plane recently. Absolutely loved it. Often takes a while for me to get into a film on a flight but it had me right from the brilliant opening sequence.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:51 PM, GallowKnight said:

I watched season 2 of Master of None. When it is good it is very good, especially the Thanksgiving episode and the one with the Taxi-drivers, but unfortunately most of the season was dominated by a really bad arc. I hated the romance and though the whole thing felt flat, unbelievable and a little bit like wish fulfilment. The romance stuff in the first season worked a lot better. And I just find Dev to be kinda hard to relate too.

Plus, now I got that fucking Vengabus song stuck in my head, so fuck this show. 

Those two were great episodes, but you didn't like the first episode in Italy or the extended episode (S2E9) with Francesca and Dev "dating"? Huh. I obviously enjoyed the series much more than you. (I do agree about  "The Vengabus" song resurrection being an unnecessary evil though.)

On 5/27/2017 at 7:01 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Six episodes each yep. Wish it was longer! 

I really like how in S2 and S3 the show has portrayed the very real stuggles and day-to-day battles that all too many families face now, with financial pressures, job worries, relationship woes, housing, ageing parents, growing old themselves, etc. I may not be that age myself but I recently saw my parents go through it so it was funny to watch and think yeah, I've just watched this in real life :P 

Also I loved Master of None. Season 2 was fantastic. Favourite was the Thanksgiving episode and then the episode exploring the lives of various people in New York where the main cast barely appeared. 

And so much food! That show makes me crave so much food :lol: 

That Catastrophe S3 finale:

Ironic it being about the death of a parent. I read up on a couple of interviews with Rob & Sharon after finishing the finale, and they of course had great things to say about Carrie Fisher and her performance. I didn't realize she improved so much though. Apparently her last scene that she show was the one where she was flipping through the channels and did that speech about a reality show. It was all improvised by Fisher, and the last line she ever spoke on film was, "It makes great TV."

As for the show, I thought it'd end with something to do w/ Rob's drinking as that was the big "catastrophe" looming most of the season. It was still tough to watch though. They both gave great performances in that last scene. I'm curious to see how it'll pick up with S4. I'm guessing maybe another time jump to explain Carrie's death.

As for Master of None S2, those episodes you mentioned were great. The "New York, I Love You" was probably my favorite of the season as it was so unique and fun, not to mention well written, shot, and performed. But as I mentioned to @GallowKnight above, I also really liked the extended penultimate episode, and the season opener. Hell, it's just an all-around solid season in my book. We should really start a thread for this show.

Here's an interview w/ co-creator Alan Yang about the S2 finale. (I'm surprised Netflix still hasn't announced it's locked down S3 already.) :/

@Channel4s-JonSnow I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on S1 being overrated, but S2 was a grand slam for me. Believe the hype on that one.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Those two were great episodes, but you didn't like the first episode in Italy or the extended episode (S2E9) with Francesca and Dev "dating"? Huh. I obviously enjoyed the series much more than you. (I do agree about  "The Vengabus" song resurrection being an unnecessary evil though.)

That Catastrophe S3 finale:

Hide contents

Ironic it being about the death of a parent. I read up on a couple of interviews with Rob & Sharon after finishing the finale, and they of course had great things to say about Carrie Fisher and her performance. I didn't realize she improved so much though. Apparently her last scene that she show was the one where she was flipping through the channels and did that speech about a reality show. It was all improvised by Fisher, and the last line she ever spoke on film was, "It makes great TV."

As for the show, I thought it'd end with something to do w/ Rob's drinking as that was the big "catastrophe" looming most of the season. It was still tough to watch though. They both gave great performances in that last scene. I'm curious to see how it'll pick up with S4. I'm guessing maybe another time jump to explain Carrie's death.

As for Master of None S2, those episodes you mentioned were great. The "New York, I Love You" was probably my favorite of the season as it was so unique and fun, not to mention well written, shot, and performed. But as I mentioned to @GallowKnight above, I also really liked the extended penultimate episode, and the season opener. Hell, it's just an all-around solid season in my book. We should really start a thread for this show.

Here's an interview w/ co-creator Alan Yang about the S2 finale. (I'm surprised Netflix still hasn't announced it's locked down S3 already.) :/

@Channel4s-JonSnow I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on S1 being overrated, but S2 was a grand slam for me. Believe the hype on that one.

Fisher really was great this season. Though I thought the best scene with her 

Spoiler

Was talking about her drunk husband being abusive. She made that feel very real.

Interesting about the improvised line though. It was really funny :lol: 

As for S4, the ending felt more like an immediate follow on (as in S2/S3, where we get the immediate aftermath of Rob finding the Plan B receipt) instead of the S1/S2 time jump. Though I guess either would work - we either see Rob failing the breathalyser, or join him in AA or whatever sometime after the crash. Obviously the issue with the former is Fisher's character is still in the UK so it would be odd not to see her reaction. 

Damn watching this series made me sad all over again

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I liked the first episode but the extended one was probably the one I disliked most.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Fisher really was great this season. Though I thought the best scene with her 

Hide contents

Was talking about her drunk husband being abusive. She made that feel very real.

Interesting about the improvised line though. It was really funny :lol: 

As for S4, the ending felt more like an immediate follow on (as in S2/S3, where we get the immediate aftermath of Rob finding the Plan B receipt) instead of the S1/S2 time jump. Though I guess either would work - we either see Rob failing the breathalyser, or join him in AA or whatever sometime after the crash. Obviously the issue with the former is Fisher's character is still in the UK so it would be odd not to see her reaction. 

Damn watching this series made me sad all over again

Agreed on that scene about her abusive husband being her best. Yes, also many sad feels resurfaced after seeing her final performance in S3 finale. :(

I agree, I think their original intent likely would've been an immediate continuation from S3 to S4. Maybe they would've shown the breathalyzer test, or show Rob getting booked at the station. But, like you mentioned, Carrie's character being in London at that time makes an immediate continuation difficult. So that's why I figured there'd be a time jump. It'll certainly be interesting to see how Rob & Sharon as writers handle this in S4.

Saw Logan over the weekend and I think it's my favorite superhero movie to date.  It's gritty, has some dark humor, the action scenes were awesome, and the setting, story, and characters just 'fit'.  I think it even surpasses Dark Knight for me and blows every X-Men, Marvel, and DC movie out of the water.  Just incredible.

Also started S2 of Sense8 and my fiance and I are loving that as well.  Such a good show.

Archived