Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

That Scrubs marathon on Comedy Central yesterday scratched me right where I itched. Looks like it's going to be on regularly again too, which is good since it's not on Netflix anymore.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales 

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't particularly bad. I would say it was better than the 4th installment but obviously, it wasn't particularly good either. Moderately entertaining and moderately creative for a fifth movie of a Disney franchise. The soundtrack is still great. I had little to no expectations and with that mindset it was fairly enjoyable. The plot was predictable but not too predictable, sometimes what happened was exactly what I expected and other times what I was expecting just refused to happen. The new characters weren't overdone, which is good, but they weren't particularly memorable either. Lots of questions remained unanswered, which could have been touched on with a couple extra scenes. 

Spoiler

I really liked that we found out where Jack sparrow's name came from and how the legend was born. I also liked Javier Bardem he was a great villain. I really liked that Carla or Carmen or whatshername was not Jack's daughter. It could have gone either way, but I'm glad they picked Barbossa to be the daddy because it was far less cliche and connected Barbossa to the plot and the rest of the characters (this was something I missed both in episode 3 and 4). I also liked that they started with a kid, it tied in nicely with the first movie. 

what I didn't like was how easily they brought the pearl back (why didn't Jack do this before, I wonder) and how boring the fight sequences often became. I also felt like Kaya and Henry skipped that stage at which a traumatic event/revelation or a deep conversation slowly pushes them from annoying each other and bickering to actually starting to develop feelings for each other. The shift in their relationship felt a little sudden to me. Oh well. 

Predictability: after it turned out Kaya was Barbossa's daughter, and she was trapped in the sea, it was overly obvious that Barbossa would sacrifice himself to save her. (Again, the two could have shared a scene To bond a little bit before that happened) 

it was also overly obvious from the very first shot of the safe that jack would be inside. 

However, I kept expecting a Dutchman ex machina with Orlando and Keira on board coming to the aid of their daredevil kid. Which didn't happen. Still, I'm glad they both made an appearance, even if Elizabeth hadn't aged 18 minutes, let alone 18 years since episode 3. 

I kept thinking about whether or not Orlando and David Wenham met on set and whether or not they reminisced about LOTR days, but then I'm not even sure they shared a scene in Lotr. Whatever. They probably never met on set because Orlando spent about a day or two shooting his three minute screentime. 

Dropped Outlander for good after a binge of first season last weekend. Definitely not what I expected. I couldn't stomach the paternalistic vibe it gave me how historical events and counterfactual situations were presented. 

Has anyone watched Rebellion? Is it good? I'm in the mood for watching something historical, but can't decide. Also been recommended The Tudors and Marco Polo...

15 minutes ago, Baltan said:

Dropped Outlander for good after a binge of first season last weekend. Definitely not what I expected. I couldn't stomach the paternalistic vibe it gave me how historical events and counterfactual situations were presented. 

Has anyone watched Rebellion? Is it good? I'm in the mood for watching something historical, but can't decide. Also been recommended The Tudors and Marco Polo...

I would say no to Rebellion. A resounding, echoing NOOOOOOOO to the Tudors and probably a No to Marco Polo though to be fair, I got bored by the second episode and gave up so maybe it improves. 

Instead you should watch The Last Kingdom and/or Wolf Hall, depending on what era you are looking for. Both great shows. Last Kingdom is fast paced with great characters (it takes certain liberties with historical accuracy for the sake of narrative, mostly jigging up the timeline somewhat) and a stronger second season than first, as the lead actor grows into the role and the overall arc of the season is more compelling. Wolf Hall is less action-y, more political intrigue. If you are interested in The Tudors, Wolf Hall offers an infinitely superior take on Henry VIII than Michael Hirst's glorified bodice-ripping soap opera.

Archived