Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

On 02/05/2017 at 10:52 AM, GallowKnight said:

I also watched a South Korean movie called The Admiral: Roaring Currents which was about a naval battle during Japan's invasion of Korea in the late 16th century. It was pretty good. There wasn't a of of story and there were a lot of cliches, plus most of the characters were pretty flat (especially the antagonists). But it delivered some spectacular ship-on-ship mayhem, which was what I was primarily after.

Yeah it can be quite humorously melodramatic at times (the bit where everyone's trying to signal the ship by waving their shirts at it) and there's far more characters in it than there need to be.

But the action is fun as hell and that's all you really want out if that kind of gig.

Dear White People, first season original on Netflix. I tend to LOL more than once during every episode -- the wit is sharp, and it can be subtle -- sometimes it's purely visual.  I don't laugh out loud easily . . . .

I did see the film from 2014 back then, and it was fine. But it was clear that this should be a tv series. Sometimes it's painful and sad, sometimes painful and angry, sometimes just funny, but it is black-life centered -- it's not really about white people, though whites do have significant roles. Mostly it's exploring the varieties of African Americans and their own diversity-- with an African or two in the mix, and other Others, such as an Asian American girl who hangs with the posse, at this predominately white private New England university, where, at least on the surface, it's all about honoring diversity and pc. As one can imagine, this can get hilarious. 

Beyond content, and the eye-candy of talented attractive actors playing smart, sharp, educated, well-off young people who mostly attempt to reach beyond their most personal concerns (though appropriately, the series shows how the personal so often has to be the political), the cinematography and direction are gorgeous and o so slick. This is such smart tv.

The new Maria Bamford special on Netflix is hilarious. And done in a very unique way. She starts by doing her routine by herself in front of a mirror. Then to just 1 person, then a handful. And by the end of the special she's onstage in front of a full audience. Really interesting to see how the dynamics change as she goes from the small groups to the larger ones. Would definitely recommend.

Finished the second season of Crazy Ex Girlfriend. 

Its such a great show in so many ways, its light and cheery, a hell of a lot of fun. Something that everyone can enjoy, whilst at the same time being pretty intelligent and dark. 

The ending this season was far darker than I was expecting :

Spoiler

Showing Rebecca to have a history of mental illness is a big step and changes a lot of the events I previously found funny.

But I will always appreciate a show that manages to do song and dance numbers well.

25 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Glad to see more people riding the Crazy train.

I think I read somewhere that this is about half way through the story, so probably only two more seasons.

Yeah I read that too, Bloom had in mind roughly 4 seasons. I do like that they are willing to take risks in the finale when they aren't sure they'll be renewed though.

Today I watched Slumber Party Massacre 2 which in essence is everything one imagines a forgotten 80s-slasher movie to be. It was full of bad bad acting, overacting and flat characters. The story was nonsensical and ridden with every slasher movie cliche. Plus it has the most ridiculous slasher movie villain ever. So naturally I enjoyed it very much in the so bad it's good way. Although for a movie of this sort it took it's sweet time to get to the good stuff. But I can't help but kinda love a movie that has a scene like this.

Started watching Gomorrah.  Props to everyone who commented it on here.  Exactly the type of show I'm into.  I really like seeing a crime show from a non-US or British perspective.  Kind of reminds me of the first time I watched City of God in that respect.

Just started the third episode, so not too far in, but the first episode got off to a much quicker start than The Wire, which is the show I most see this compared to.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Gomorrah is brutal and it doesn't let up. I love it. It definitely moves things along faster than The Wire but they both have similarities in their rawness. City of God is also a favorite of mine.

Need to watch City of God again.  Been a few years and it's such a fantastic movie.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Need to watch City of God again.  Been a few years and it's such a fantastic movie.

There's a documentary on Netflix about it I've been meaning to watch. It's 10 years later catching up with people from the movie.

Gomorrah is absolutely brilliant. One of my favorite shows I've ever watched. Halfway through S2 now. Acting and writing is superb, but another thing I really love is the main music that closes out each episode. So good.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

There's a documentary on Netflix about it I've been meaning to watch. It's 10 years later catching up with people from the movie.

Gomorrah is absolutely brilliant. One of my favorite shows I've ever watched. Halfway through S2 now. Acting and writing is superb, but another thing I really love is the main music that closes out each episode. So good.

Really difficult to watch if you don't speak the language. Subtitled documentaries are a completely different animal than subtitled movies.

This watcher finds it no problem, but does find your complaint difficult to parse.

For me,  it's actually easier to follow foreign language subtitles and the screen action on netflix than on a theatrical screen./. But that is, of course, just me.

Was quite involved by the netflix season of the television series; am looking forward to season 2.

Watched a couple of episodes of Travelers yesterday. Seems...interesting so far. I'll persevere with it but if I don't get really into it in the next two eps then I'll shelve it. Life's too short.

14 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Finally gotten around to watching The Night Manager. I always dismissed it a bit, as I do most BBC / ITV dramas because on the whole I see them as populist mush. 

But WOW, its gripping as hell! 

Yeah - we finished that one a bit ago, I was really entertained by the whole run. 

We used to play WoW, so when I saw Warcraft was on I decided to give it a watch.  It was fun to see the live action versions of places in the game and some of the in game references/easter eggs but unlike some parts of the game it did not leave me wanting more or to wait for the reset and run it again.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Watched a couple of episodes of Travelers yesterday. Seems...interesting so far. I'll persevere with it but if I don't get really into it in the next two eps then I'll shelve it. Life's too short.

I really enjoyed that show, and am looking forward to the next season. 

Archived