Isis

Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

430 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Those two were great episodes, but you didn't like the first episode in Italy or the extended episode (S2E9) with Francesca and Dev "dating"? Huh. I obviously enjoyed the series much more than you. (I do agree about  "The Vengabus" song resurrection being an unnecessary evil though.)

That Catastrophe S3 finale:

Hide contents

Ironic it being about the death of a parent. I read up on a couple of interviews with Rob & Sharon after finishing the finale, and they of course had great things to say about Carrie Fisher and her performance. I didn't realize she improved so much though. Apparently her last scene that she show was the one where she was flipping through the channels and did that speech about a reality show. It was all improvised by Fisher, and the last line she ever spoke on film was, "It makes great TV."

As for the show, I thought it'd end with something to do w/ Rob's drinking as that was the big "catastrophe" looming most of the season. It was still tough to watch though. They both gave great performances in that last scene. I'm curious to see how it'll pick up with S4. I'm guessing maybe another time jump to explain Carrie's death.

As for Master of None S2, those episodes you mentioned were great. The "New York, I Love You" was probably my favorite of the season as it was so unique and fun, not to mention well written, shot, and performed. But as I mentioned to @GallowKnight above, I also really liked the extended penultimate episode, and the season opener. Hell, it's just an all-around solid season in my book. We should really start a thread for this show.

Here's an interview w/ co-creator Alan Yang about the S2 finale. (I'm surprised Netflix still hasn't announced it's locked down S3 already.) :/

@Channel4s-JonSnow I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on S1 being overrated, but S2 was a grand slam for me. Believe the hype on that one.

Fisher really was great this season. Though I thought the best scene with her 

Spoiler

Was talking about her drunk husband being abusive. She made that feel very real.

Interesting about the improvised line though. It was really funny :lol: 

As for S4, the ending felt more like an immediate follow on (as in S2/S3, where we get the immediate aftermath of Rob finding the Plan B receipt) instead of the S1/S2 time jump. Though I guess either would work - we either see Rob failing the breathalyser, or join him in AA or whatever sometime after the crash. Obviously the issue with the former is Fisher's character is still in the UK so it would be odd not to see her reaction. 

Damn watching this series made me sad all over again

Season 5 of House of Cards.

Having a blast.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Those two were great episodes, but you didn't like the first episode in Italy or the extended episode (S2E9) with Francesca and Dev "dating"? Huh. I obviously enjoyed the series much more than you. (I do agree about  "The Vengabus" song resurrection being an unnecessary evil though.)

I liked the first episode but the extended one was probably the one I disliked most.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Fisher really was great this season. Though I thought the best scene with her 

Hide contents

Was talking about her drunk husband being abusive. She made that feel very real.

Interesting about the improvised line though. It was really funny :lol: 

As for S4, the ending felt more like an immediate follow on (as in S2/S3, where we get the immediate aftermath of Rob finding the Plan B receipt) instead of the S1/S2 time jump. Though I guess either would work - we either see Rob failing the breathalyser, or join him in AA or whatever sometime after the crash. Obviously the issue with the former is Fisher's character is still in the UK so it would be odd not to see her reaction. 

Damn watching this series made me sad all over again

Agreed on that scene about her abusive husband being her best. Yes, also many sad feels resurfaced after seeing her final performance in S3 finale. :(

I agree, I think their original intent likely would've been an immediate continuation from S3 to S4. Maybe they would've shown the breathalyzer test, or show Rob getting booked at the station. But, like you mentioned, Carrie's character being in London at that time makes an immediate continuation difficult. So that's why I figured there'd be a time jump. It'll certainly be interesting to see how Rob & Sharon as writers handle this in S4.

Saw Logan over the weekend and I think it's my favorite superhero movie to date.  It's gritty, has some dark humor, the action scenes were awesome, and the setting, story, and characters just 'fit'.  I think it even surpasses Dark Knight for me and blows every X-Men, Marvel, and DC movie out of the water.  Just incredible.

Also started S2 of Sense8 and my fiance and I are loving that as well.  Such a good show.

That Scrubs marathon on Comedy Central yesterday scratched me right where I itched. Looks like it's going to be on regularly again too, which is good since it's not on Netflix anymore.

Posted (edited)

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales 

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't particularly bad. I would say it was better than the 4th installment but obviously, it wasn't particularly good either. Moderately entertaining and moderately creative for a fifth movie of a Disney franchise. The soundtrack is still great. I had little to no expectations and with that mindset it was fairly enjoyable. The plot was predictable but not too predictable, sometimes what happened was exactly what I expected and other times what I was expecting just refused to happen. The new characters weren't overdone, which is good, but they weren't particularly memorable either. Lots of questions remained unanswered, which could have been touched on with a couple extra scenes. 

Spoiler

I really liked that we found out where Jack sparrow's name came from and how the legend was born. I also liked Javier Bardem he was a great villain. I really liked that Carla or Carmen or whatshername was not Jack's daughter. It could have gone either way, but I'm glad they picked Barbossa to be the daddy because it was far less cliche and connected Barbossa to the plot and the rest of the characters (this was something I missed both in episode 3 and 4). I also liked that they started with a kid, it tied in nicely with the first movie. 

what I didn't like was how easily they brought the pearl back (why didn't Jack do this before, I wonder) and how boring the fight sequences often became. I also felt like Kaya and Henry skipped that stage at which a traumatic event/revelation or a deep conversation slowly pushes them from annoying each other and bickering to actually starting to develop feelings for each other. The shift in their relationship felt a little sudden to me. Oh well. 

Predictability: after it turned out Kaya was Barbossa's daughter, and she was trapped in the sea, it was overly obvious that Barbossa would sacrifice himself to save her. (Again, the two could have shared a scene To bond a little bit before that happened) 

it was also overly obvious from the very first shot of the safe that jack would be inside. 

However, I kept expecting a Dutchman ex machina with Orlando and Keira on board coming to the aid of their daredevil kid. Which didn't happen. Still, I'm glad they both made an appearance, even if Elizabeth hadn't aged 18 minutes, let alone 18 years since episode 3. 

I kept thinking about whether or not Orlando and David Wenham met on set and whether or not they reminisced about LOTR days, but then I'm not even sure they shared a scene in Lotr. Whatever. They probably never met on set because Orlando spent about a day or two shooting his three minute screentime. 

Edited by RhaenysB

Dropped Outlander for good after a binge of first season last weekend. Definitely not what I expected. I couldn't stomach the paternalistic vibe it gave me how historical events and counterfactual situations were presented. 

Has anyone watched Rebellion? Is it good? I'm in the mood for watching something historical, but can't decide. Also been recommended The Tudors and Marco Polo...

15 minutes ago, Baltan said:

Dropped Outlander for good after a binge of first season last weekend. Definitely not what I expected. I couldn't stomach the paternalistic vibe it gave me how historical events and counterfactual situations were presented. 

Has anyone watched Rebellion? Is it good? I'm in the mood for watching something historical, but can't decide. Also been recommended The Tudors and Marco Polo...

I would say no to Rebellion. A resounding, echoing NOOOOOOOO to the Tudors and probably a No to Marco Polo though to be fair, I got bored by the second episode and gave up so maybe it improves. 

Instead you should watch The Last Kingdom and/or Wolf Hall, depending on what era you are looking for. Both great shows. Last Kingdom is fast paced with great characters (it takes certain liberties with historical accuracy for the sake of narrative, mostly jigging up the timeline somewhat) and a stronger second season than first, as the lead actor grows into the role and the overall arc of the season is more compelling. Wolf Hall is less action-y, more political intrigue. If you are interested in The Tudors, Wolf Hall offers an infinitely superior take on Henry VIII than Michael Hirst's glorified bodice-ripping soap opera.

Just finished up season two of Gomorra.  Damn that got intense.  Satisfying ending, though.  I'll be interested to see where they go with the show in season three.