Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I finished the series last night. You're right, there are several parts of the show that has me rolling my eyes, but there are also a number of instances where I think the chemistry between the leads, the dialogue etc all works. 

Hide contents

Yeah, the men in the show are all tools - with quite a few of them sexually assaulting her. I think Clay, Tony, and possibly Alex ( his list is obviously wrong)  are the *only* students in the show who come off with a bit of dignity intact. I think Clay's reaction to that list is interesting - he has the reaction that lots of men might have - i.e. 'it's just a list' a 'joke' etc  - And I like the show going in that direction, to acknowledge that that is the reaction a lot of men can have, and it's the wrong one

I think 13 episodes is a bit too long though, there's lots of stuff that can be trimmed. 9-10 episodes would probably make for a better series. But just taking a glance at the 'Friend Zone' thread that we have in genchat - I think these are the types of TV shows we need in our zeitgeist. 

I'm glad you mentioned the Friend Zone thread. It was also in my mind while I was watching and this show preserves my sanity while reading the thread. 

I'll probsbly finish this weekend and post some more thoughts. I hadn't realised it was an adaptation of a YA novel.

13 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Rewatching outlander AGAIN with my mum 

And watching RuPaul's Drag race 

Watched Life last night in the cinema...it was a uhh...stressful yet hilarious experience...

I watched Life Sunday, wasn't too impressed by it.

Spoiler

One just silly thing was how it lived outside in space for some time, but then was moving from "oxygen candle" to oxygen candle as though it must have oxygen all the time.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I watched Life Sunday, wasn't too impressed by it.

Reveal hidden contents

One just silly thing was how it lived outside in space for some time, but then was moving from "oxygen candle" to oxygen candle as though it must have oxygen all the time.

LMAO it was kind of awful wasn't it? I was laughing so much in the cinema I'm glad I didn't have any high expectations for it and was just there with my mates to just go to the cinema really - I have so many things about it I could say but tbh I enjoyed the experience of watching it even if the movie is really not all that great haha 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

LMAO it was kind of awful wasn't it? I was laughing so much in the cinema I'm glad I didn't have any high expectations for it and was just there with my mates to just go to the cinema really - I have so many things about it I could say but tbh I enjoyed the experience of watching it even if the movie is really not all that great haha 

Same here, I was there more for the popcorn than the movie!

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So apparently Prison Break is a thing again.  How did this happen?  I turned on my Hulu and saw a "new" PB episode.  This is ridiculous.  

So bad. The only season that was ever any good was season 1. I have no idea why they keep bringing it back.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

So bad. The only season that was ever any good was season 1. I have no idea why they keep bringing it back.

I think because those people who like it, LIKE IT, and are barely able to tell when its terrible and when its not. It has a huge following.. for some strange reason. Even the first season was barely above average when it came out. Now in a golden age of TV it looks utterly dated.

On 4/4/2017 at 3:28 AM, red snow said:

He was good in Sexy beast and 44 inch chest and he had a good guest appearance as Santa in American Horror story. I don't think he did much in John Wick to be honest - that was a role i felt i projected my love of his role in Deadwood onto the film. I heard he's in the sequel so maybe he's better there.

I think McShane is relatively picky about his projects and oddly "Deadwood" may have made him more picky as it's clear from interviews that he loved the show. Films are notorious in how they can come out very differently from the script - it may be that with Pirates of the carribean the script appealed and turned out wrong. Or it could be the classic Liam Neeson answer to why he did "Battleships" - "some films you do because the script reaches out to you, some films you do for the money" (to paraphrase but he did say "do for the money").

So maybe Deadwood is the reason we don't see him in as much because he has high standards for TV? Which would bode well for "american gods"

Did anyone see him Kings, in which was the lead?  That series got canceled after a single season.  I thought he was really good -- and liked the premise and the series a lot.  Was sorry it didn't get renewed, as it was so intriguing in plot, theme and characters.  There was so much to explore.  But it was NBC and the audience clearly found it too weird or too sophisticated or both. The reviewers sure didn't get it!

Kings was (very) loosely based on the biblical King David mythos, but projected into a non-specific future.

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So apparently Prison Break is a thing again.  How did this happen?  I turned on my Hulu and saw a "new" PB episode.  This is ridiculous.  

Just imagine all those actors ten years ago thinking they'd ride the success of Prison Break to bigger and better things.  Fast forward to today...whoops.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

This time Wentworth and Dominic are trying to escape their DC's Legends of Tomorrow contracts.

7 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

So, wait for DVD, is that what you're saying? Because I can totally do that. Lots of other cooler looking films I want to see first tbh.

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's a shame they aren't as good at staying out of prison as they are at breaking out of them!

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

because the first season was good and Fox won't let something end when it should (they balance this out by cancelling things well before they should end).

I really enjoyed season 1 but even that had the comical "set back" when the show went from a half season to a full one.

The episode in season 2 where we are cheated into thinking the brothers had jumped off the train is my personal "jumping the shark". Never watched another episode after that as there is no reason why two people forced to jump off a train in the brothers' clothes would continue to run when armed police were threatening to shoot if they didn't stop. That and the idiocy of cutting a character's arm off and instantly regretting it.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

So, wait for DVD, is that what you're saying? Because I can totally do that. Lots of other cooler looking films I want to see first tbh.

I thought Life was a very generic SF horror, it's a watchable film but I wouldn't say it's anything that needs to be seen at the cinema.

I'm a sucker for space stuff ( which is why I'm not watching The Expanse) , and even though Life will probably end up being average, it's got Jake Gyllenhall in it so I'm probably going to go watch it at the cinema tomorrow. 

@Raja I finished 13 reasons why tonight. The last half was really very brutal and hard to watch.

Seeing her desperation by the end was awful, and her slitting her wrists was extremely graphic. It actually made me cry. It all hit too close to home. Not because I experienced the exact same (for which I am immensely thankful) but because I understood that cumulative effect and utter loneliness these things cause.

At least some of the characters grew as people. Clay, Cheri, Jessica, Alex, Ryan, Zach. I feel they all learned from what happened. Courtney and Marcus are awful. And of course Bryce was...despicable

Not really sure how or why Tony fit into it all. Hannah trusting it all to him seemed a bit out of the blue since they barely interact.

Overall I thought the show was really good. With a bit of work on the dialogue it would have been greatly improved though. Also maybe have 40 minute episodes, some of them were overly padded.

I guess it was left open for a follow up series. Alex attempted suicide. No one knows what's going to happen with the tapes. Tyler with all his photos.i think I would actually like a second series.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Raja I finished 13 reasons why tonight. The last half was really very brutal and hard to watch.

Yeah, it doesn't hold any punches does it? 

The scene where she's in the bathtub is really hard to watch - I could barely look at the screen, and I suppose that is the point. There are moments in the latter half which I won't forget like the camera lingering on Hannah's face when she's in the bathtub with Bryce. The Alex suicide bit was odd - they almost forgot about it for one episode and then came back around to it. 

Jeff was great too - that actor didn't have too many scenes, but he made that role and his friendship with clay really work. Also, I didn't see that coming at all. 

It's a really strong series - and I totally didn't expect it to be! I'm kinda surprised they're setting it up for the second season. Tyler's box full of guns? certainly points towards some sort of school shooting if/ when the series picks up next season. 

General non-spoiler reaction to Big Little Lies:  Wow! The music, scenery, and acting were all three just superb. I had major loathing at some point or another toward almost every lead, as well as extreme sympathy, at least for a moment or two. Every actor did a terrific job of keeping these characters wonderfully conflicted. Witherspoon's daughter had superior taste in music to me, and I am thirty years older than she. And the houses and vistas made me wish I was rich, and not crammed into this little Queens apartment.

Regarding the finale and my superspoiler theory:

Spoiler

My immediate interpretation is a set-up for a second season. The final shot through binoculars was the most obvious, but almost every episode showed views of major characters that seemed like a PI or a stalker or something. I shrugged most of them off, thinking they were just the other gossipy townspeople, but the last few minutes had a repeated sound of a lighter being flicked, right? Then the binoculars on the women.

Seems to me like they are setting up a second season where the liars will have to deal with ongoing fallout of the death, due to some mysterious person knowing about the lead-up and the crime. This could help explain the glossing over of the unresolved troubles. Remember, every single male lead was angry in the last few moments. I feel like a second run would involve a similar build-up where all those unresolved tensions lead to an unknown crime, and we have to guess which male character did it. I believe they only showed the women for two reasons - obviously, the themes of this show involve motherhood, and the things mothers will do for their children. A second season seems to justly need to explore fatherhood in the same way.

I'm convincing myself even more as I type this out. TIme to look at some other places to see interpretations as well! I didn't read Moriarty's novel, so I can't comment on whether she hinted at this idea for an extension. It's probably just me. I'd be pretty fine with this as just a 7 episode run, but there's still some great stuff that could come.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm a sucker for space stuff ( which is why I'm not watching The Expanse) , and even though Life will probably end up being average, it's got Jake Gyllenhall in it so I'm probably going to go watch it at the cinema tomorrow. 

Haven't seen Life, but have only heard that it is very generic as you suspect. 

Just curious, what do mean when you say "I'm a sucker for space stuff (which is why I'm not watching The Expanse?)

Archived