Comics XIII

Calibandar

We can continue here.

Few trades I am picking up because of some rejuvenated interest in comics, all stuff I haven't read before:

Avengers vs X-Men

Infinity- Hickman ( some 600 pages)

World War Hulk

Justice League: Darkseid War, vol . 7

Thor vol. 2 Who Holds the Hammer

Sweet Tooth by Lemire, trades 4-6, completing the series.

Old Man Logan vol 1 and 2. by Lemire and Sorrentino.

Old Man Logan hardcover collected edition by Millar.

Currently looking into:

Secret Wars. Love the art by Ribic, unsure as yet of the story being of interest.

Civil War 2. May give that a pass.

The Logan film has had me wondering when the last great Wolverine story was as I claimed on Facebook "logan was probably the best Wolverine story in any media since Claremont stopped writing him". With hindsight I did enjoy AoA wolverine and his fatal attractions no adamantium fall out arcs when Larry Hama was writing him in the 90s. Although I'm not sure how well the Hama stories would hold up now. Either way that means it's still almost 20 years since I think there has been a great Wolverine story or arc.

Which is a shame as the Logan film has me wanting to read some Wolverine comics. It doesn't really help that Wolverine isn't even in the comics. Having "old man logan" arguably feels more apt coming off the film but I know that he isn't the "real" logan. Although I'd be curious as to whether the non-Millar Old Man logan comics are good and self-contained as they may be worth a shot.

Have there been any good X-23 runs? I quite liked her in X-force and her appearances in All New but don't know much else about her. Maybe I should watch the X-men Evolution cartoon which I've never got around to but I think she's only a guest star in that show?

Not nearly I to comics as I used to be, but I try to follow what's going on with them...

I finally picked up the first three trades of Terry Moore's Rachel Rising. And I've liked them this far, though I'm a die hard SiP partisan, it would be hard for me not to enjoy them.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The Logan film has had me wondering when the last great Wolverine story was as I claimed on Facebook "logan was probably the best Wolverine story in any media since Claremont stopped writing him". With hindsight I did enjoy AoA wolverine and his fatal attractions no adamantium fall out arcs when Larry Hama was writing him in the 90s. Although I'm not sure how well the Hama stories would hold up now. Either way that means it's still almost 20 years since I think there has been a great Wolverine story or arc.

Which is a shame as the Logan film has me wanting to read some Wolverine comics. It doesn't really help that Wolverine isn't even in the comics. Having "old man logan" arguably feels more apt coming off the film but I know that he isn't the "real" logan. Although I'd be curious as to whether the non-Millar Old Man logan comics are good and self-contained as they may be worth a shot.

Have there been any good X-23 runs? I quite liked her in X-force and her appearances in All New but don't know much else about her. Maybe I should watch the X-men Evolution cartoon which I've never got around to but I think she's only a guest star in that show?

Recently my comic book shop owner recommended Wolverine: Enemy of the State to me. I picked it up but haven't got to it yet. I'll say that he has yet to recommend anything to me that I didn't enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Recently my comic book shop owner recommended Wolverine: Enemy of the State to me. I picked it up but haven't got to it yet. I'll say that he has yet to recommend anything to me that I didn't enjoy.

I think I read the start of that it's a Mark Millar and JRJR book. I didn't go beyond the first issue but I heard it's supposed to be a fun romp through Wolverine's rogues/allies gallery.

IVX finally ended, and I'll just leave you with the replies to Charles Soule tweets, that are hilarious:

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/839453683645571072

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/839452476650696704

And that's what just people are telling them to his face. On woman's day, this is the most misogynistic issue Marvel publishes in a long time, and one that essentially undoes 25 years of Emma Frost characterization- but hey, MEDUSA IS SO GREAT! SHE'S BEEN TORMENTED BY SCOTT'S DEATH, THAT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN! AND SHE SAVES THE DAY COMPLETELY! IT'S THE MUTANT'S FAULT THEY DIDN'T TALK TO HER, BECAUSE SHE'S SOLVE EVERYTHING HERSELF! 

But at least there was a very good Silver Surfer issue today, so not all is lost.

Paper Girls was alright as well.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

IVX finally ended, and I'll just leave you with the replies to Charles Soule tweets, that are hilarious:

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/839453683645571072

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/839452476650696704

And that's what just people are telling them to his face. On woman's day, this is the most misogynistic issue Marvel publishes in a long time, and one that essentially undoes 25 years of Emma Frost characterization- but hey, MEDUSA IS SO GREAT! SHE'S BEEN TORMENTED BY SCOTT'S DEATH, THAT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN! AND SHE SAVES THE DAY COMPLETELY! IT'S THE MUTANT'S FAULT THEY DIDN'T TALK TO HER, BECAUSE SHE'S SOLVE EVERYTHING HERSELF! 

But at least there was a very good Silver Surfer issue today, so not all is lost.

Paper Girls was alright as well.

Ouch. But every issue hit the stands on time so it did something right?

I just hope this is the end of Marvel's attempt to supplant their own franchise with another and they let both Inhumans and X-men follow their own path. I'm sure people would be more receptive to the Inhumans if they were being inhumans and not trying to be the X-men.

A question for the comics brain trust.

In recent times people have been saying that Marvel has gone all PC, what with the female Thor, female Iron man and all kinds of minorities coming forth.

My question is, did Marvel get similar criticism when for instance the second incarnation of the X-men came or when Carol Danvers stepped into Mar-Vell's shoes?

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yes, the Inhumans are going to space now, which is what they were doing with Hickman until Marvel forced him to take them back to Earth.

so the last few years may have just been an earnest blip on Marvel's part.

9 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

A question for the comics brain trust.

In recent times people have been saying that Marvel has gone all PC, what with the female Thor, female Iron man and all kinds of minorities coming forth.

My question is, did Marvel get similar criticism when for instance the second incarnation of the X-men came or when Carol Danvers stepped into Mar-Vell's shoes?

That reminded me of an odd quote by one of the X-men editors about the resurrexion titles in which he apologised that "going back to the claremont era team meant a loss in diversity". Which I think is really unfair given it had a Russian (during the cold war), a German demon, a black woman, etc. It was a really international and diverse cast for its time. But in 50 years time (assuming we continue on this trajectory and don't regress) people will look at Marvel's current output and say "where were (insert demographic) in 2017" The X-books were diverse for their time and out of all the franchises are the ones that should continue to strive for and reflect diversity.

They probably didn't get as much criticism because social media didn't exist. I don't mean to be flippant but it's true the fan base largely communicated in the school yard or via the letters page which the editors could select. If social media existed around the debut of All New (claremont) X-men I guess there would have been groups decrying it for going too far or not far enough. The sales suggested people buying the comic liked it.

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Danvers stepping into Mar-Vell's shoes not really, because it was very recent, and a lot of people that were less connected to him already taken the role.

The X-men were D-list characters without a book for years, so not really. Plus, it's not like Nightcrawler was the new Iceman or something.

That's also another distinction between the eras. They were new characters and while they were replacing the white kids in the team they weren't taking their idenities as well.

I think it's also worth looking at DCs legacy heroes and it reveals that a lot of fans hate characters being replaced by anyone, not just by minorities. Green Lantern and the Flash were both replaced by new white guys and old fans hated it. For me Kyle Rayner and Wally West were the first versions of Green Lantern and the Flash I encountered so I was a bit pissed when the "orginals" (because Barry and Hal aren't the originals either) returned. I'm sure this might happen with kids currently reading the Marvel books when Marvel resets things.

I'm wondering whether creators get as much of a creator credit when they make the new Ms Marvels, etc? Maybe part of the reason they take on existing titles is because they aren't creating a "new" hero just a new character?

The irony is that their most diverse franchise (especially in terms of female representation) was the X-men which they've spent the last 5-10 years trying to sideline. Maybe now they seem to be pushing the X-books again it will be a good platform for exploring these things once more. The new generation X book is supposed to feature several LGBT characters for example.

Sort of along the same lines... but a good chunk of the Cloak & Dagger regular series from the 80s dropped on Marvel Unlimited this week and I've been reading through it. It has struck me as pretty edgy, especially given the time it was produced. 

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

Sort of along the same lines... but a good chunk of the Cloak & Dagger regular series from the 80s dropped on Marvel Unlimited this week and I've been reading through it. It has struck me as pretty edgy, especially given the time it was produced. 

Did they get their powers from drugs? That was the case with someone from the marvel universe.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Did they get their powers from drugs? That was the case with someone from the marvel universe.

They did. They were runaway kids who were kidnapped and experimented on with a new kind of drug that was supposed to be super addictive, but it gave them powers instead. 

In the first issue of the regular series from 1987, they took down a child trafficking/prostitution ring. That feels like it had to be way ahead of its time.

just read 5 more issues of the vision while sitting in GP waiting room. I don't know if it's being unwell but damn this book is so heartfelt and good. So many scenes just tear me up. No wonder DC threw an exclusive contract King's way even if his new dc work doesn't match up they have removed what could have been Marvel's renaissance man - something they need.

The last walking dead trade was decent. they are almost making negan work but implied tragic backstory doesn't/shouldn't have him forgiven. I guess we'll see if he's really changed if the Saviours (who seem to be reverting to type) offer him his kingdom back. I do like the idea of him being a black ops guy who will do what needs doing for something better. One problem not so much with the trade was hte weird multiple threads running a page over several "issues".It didn't really work in one sitting so no idea how that worked in monthlies.

I'm struggling with seven to eternity but i might but that down to it beign refreshingly different from american comics in general.

But the Vision - wow.

Still behind on "clean room" largely as it's not very public friendly to read on my large phone.

Anyone read the first issue of Jeff Lemire's new one: Royal City

I picked it up earlier this week, but I've had no time to read it yet. I read Underwater Welder since @Calibandarmentioned it after I gushed so much over Essex County. I liked UW a lot, but not as much as EC. Figured I'd give Royal City a try. 

I just read Inhumans v. X-Men 6 and holy fucking shit it's a flaming piece of garbage. I admit to liking the first issue of the event, mostly due to the X-Men kicking Inhuman ass, but of course the event followed its natural course and became a disaster. And naturally the X-Men are facing extinction but are still painted badly.

Emma Frost got it worse than anyone. She gets to go bug-nuts crazy and completely throw 20+ years of characterization out of the window. She summons a bunch of Inhuman hunting sentinels that she somehow jedi mind tricked Forge into building and officially becomes a mass murderer. Then she goes on to become bondage Magneto. Complete character assassination.

Meanwhile Medusa is just wonderful in every way and saves the day. She is powerful enough and got the skills to defat Psylocke and crush Emma in diamond form. And of course she feels really bad about killing Cyclops. And she has the following line: "Our species ability to transform through Terregenisis does not outweigh the lives of even a single mutant, much less all of them."

You know, despite the fact that the Terrigen mists have been killing mutants for EIGHT MONTHS! Cyclops was killed. Jamie Madrox was killed. And the X-Men were forced to hide out in a fucking Hell dimension! So it's cool to knowingly let a Mutant-murdering cloud run loose in the world, but if you kill someone while possessed by an all-powerful comic entity you're a monster.

And apparently the whole thing could have been avoided if Beast had left a post-it note for Medusa in his lab.

So, when Medusa destroys a Terrigen cloud she is a saint and a hero, but when Cyclops does it he is Hitler.

I think I hate comic books now.

IvX was laughably bad. I'm trying to give the writing team the benefit of the doubt, in that I'm going to believe this story was written by editorial more than the writing staff. I refuse to believe TWO competent writers such as Soule and Lemire combined to give us this. What a train wreck.

That said, I'm mildly optimistic about the reset about to happen -- Inhumans going to space, where they belong, and the X-Men getting back to their roots...ideally.

Can't help but think some of these solo X-titles, like Iceman, are unneeded, though. I'd rather see them revive Excalibur...maybe even give us a new X-Force book, which can be a hybrid of former New Mutants -- who never got to be in X-Force -- and former X-Force characters, never New Mutants. My lineup would be Sam, Dani, Magik, Bobby, Karma, Rictor, and Shatterstar. Maybe Boom Boom or Warpath, but that many characters would probably be a bit much.

On 11/03/2017 at 4:28 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

IvX was laughably bad. I'm trying to give the writing team the benefit of the doubt, in that I'm going to believe this story was written by editorial more than the writing staff. I refuse to believe TWO competent writers such as Soule and Lemire combined to give us this. What a train wreck.

I think it broke Lemire as he chose not to extend his contract and is done with Marvel now he's handed his final scripts in. I guess Soule needs the money and it's probably hard to find someone recognisable willing to write Inhumans these days.

On 10/03/2017 at 3:34 PM, GallowKnight said:

Jamie Madrox was killed.

What? Luckily we can just assume his real body is hiding out somewhere, ready to return when FOX realise they can do their favourite genre of show "police procedural" (well detective in this case) in X-factor.

Archived