Comics XIII

Calibandar

On 4/4/2017 at 0:47 PM, Joey Crows said:

I've never been a huge comic reader, but my brother is and when he moved he gave me a bunch of stuff he couldn't take with him. Been going through them and found one in particular that sounds awesome and weird. Anyone ever read Battle Pope?

Battle Pope is worth at least the first basic trade because it's a young Tony Moore on art and you can see what he'd grow into, but it's 100% blasphemous.  The Saint Michael specials are also fun.

2 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

Battle Pope is worth at least the first basic trade because it's a young Tony Moore on art and you can see what he'd grow into, but it's 100% blasphemous.  The Saint Michael specials are also fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I generally feel pretty good about blasphemy, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Also, just looked up Tony Moore (like I said, I'm new to the comic game) and I'm sold based on that alone!

If you like Tony Moore's work, I'm going to recommend you Fear Agent, art by Moore and Jerome Opena, written by Rick Remender.  He also drew the bulk of Remender's weird-as-hell-and-I-loved-it so-called "Frankencastle" arc of his run on The Punisher.

4 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

If you like Tony Moore's work, I'm going to recommend you Fear Agent, art by Moore and Jerome Opena, written by Rick Remender.  He also drew the bulk of Remender's weird-as-hell-and-I-loved-it so-called "Frankencastle" arc of his run on The Punisher.

I keep hearing about that title. Was it a completed story by the time it finished? At the moment it feels like I read a lot of Remender ongoing titles without knowing whether he can stick the landing.

On 4/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, Little Valkyrie said:

If you like Tony Moore's work, I'm going to recommend you Fear Agent, art by Moore and Jerome Opena, written by Rick Remender. He also drew the bulk of Remender's weird-as-hell-and-I-loved-it so-called "Frankencastle" arc of his run on The Punisher.

I second this. Great book.

On 09/04/2017 at 0:27 PM, The King in Black said:

Holy Career Sepukku Batman ! Everybody caught up with the Adrian Syaf  scandal yet ? These just aren't Marvel's weeks  it seems

It also shows how lazy the editing can be sometimes - this one is tricky but I'd still hope someone would consider it (personally I always read the billboards in comics as they tend to name drop other creators so it's easy to see how it was noticed).

Given what the X-men stand for it's deeply unfortunate and a bit stupid on Syaf's part. I guess he was probably only doing the first few issues anyhow (typical of Marvel) but I bet we won't be seeing him at Marvel for a while.

I can imagine Guggenheim would probably refuse to work with Adrian after this anyhow as it's bad to be associated with it. Being Jewish he could be extra angry and offended at someone doing this to his work.

Sadly, the comic will (hopefully briefly) become a collector's item as they've already said it will be removed from all further editions, the trade and the existing digital copy.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

It also shows how lazy the editing can be sometimes - this one is tricky but I'd still hope someone would consider it (personally I always read the billboards in comics as they tend to name drop other creators so it's easy to see how it was noticed).

On this one I don't blame Marvel, because unless they were familiar with Indonesian politics, how would they know what that meant?

4 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

On this one I don't blame Marvel, because unless they were familiar with Indonesian politics, how would they know what that meant?

They also point out that 212 is also the address/zip code of Marvel's NY offices. I'm sure for the next 6 months or so Marvel editors will ask for clarification on any words/numbers the artists stick on the page.

I've heard a lot of comments about "why isn't it the same rule for the writers" which I assume is aimed at the likes of Nick Spencer but it's a completely different case because the editors know (or should be able to easily recognise) a political message in the writer's work. Therefore they can decide if they are ok with it or not.

Ardian (my brain has been autocorrecting to "Adrian" all this time) has issued a statement holding his hands up and accepting his career with Marvel is over and he's responsible at least. In his case he can probably make some momey doing signed copies of that comic - as i suspected sales of the book have gone through the roof since the announcement.

I guess Marvel will be going through his remaining issues with a fine tooth comb and it will be interesting to see how sales of his remaining issues sell without the "collectability" factor.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

They also point out that 212 is also the address/zip code of Marvel's NY offices.

The '212' is pretty easy to miss. The 'QS 5:51' on the other hand might have stood out as odd. Still, I can understand that people might not have even considered that it could be a political message.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I've heard a lot of comments about "why isn't it the same rule for the writers" which I assume is aimed at the likes of Nick Spencer but it's a completely different case because the editors know (or should be able to easily recognise) a political message in the writer's work. Therefore they can decide if they are ok with it or not.

But... Nick Spencer's work isn't political! No messages there, Marvel said so. So it's clearly OK.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

The '212' is pretty easy to miss. The 'QS 5:51' on the other hand might have stood out as odd. Still, I can understand that people might not have even considered that it could be a political message.

But... Nick Spencer's work isn't political! No messages there, Marvel said so. So it's clearly OK.

yeah any two numbers with a colon should raise suspicion and not just when preceded by John (if crime shows have taught me anything). The "Jewel" thing was borderline too. I don't know if this was hindsight after the X-men thing but several articles have pointed out he's done this before in Batgirl - it's just that in those cases it wasn't so sensitive a message.

It's a good job we have Marvel telling us when to read between the lines and ignore that Hydra has been associated with Nazis for a long while.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a good job we have Marvel telling us when to read between the lines and ignore that Hydra has been associated with Nazis for a long while.

The next person who posts that out of context Gary Friedrich Cap panel with the Red Skull is gonna get a beating with the context stick.

Thankfully Thunderbolts is dead and maybe if everyone writes enough "Please, no, Marvel, this run was awful" they won't let Zub bring it back.  I haven't seen a waste of good material like this run in a long time, not to mention the perfect shitstorm of truly godawful art on top of bad writing.  I feel sorry for anyone who was enjoying Uncanny Avengers, at this rate.

That said, I did get the one thing I wanted out of Secret Empire already, no spoilers.

Marvel is cancelling Nova at issue 7, so there goes the only Marvel title I was reading. I might just as well clock out from Marvel comics now.

I borrowed a few trades of IDW's Transfomers: More than Meets the Eye. It's pretty good and the artwork is great, but it has the same problems I have almost always had with Transformer comics, I don't care about the Autobots. Had they just focused one the Decepticons, who are soo much cooler, I probably would have loved it.

On 19-4-2017 at 10:53 PM, GallowKnight said:

I borrowed a few trades of IDW's Transfomers: More than Meets the Eye. It's pretty good and the artwork is great, but it has the same problems I have almost always had with Transformer comics, I don't care about the Autobots. Had they just focused one the Decepticons, who are soo much cooler, I probably would have loved it.

For me the artwork in that More than Meets the Eye series, as well as most other IDW Transformers series, just doesn't cut it. It's too childish and goofy looking.

There are two series which in my opinion have absolutely stunning artwork. First is the Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy trilogy with art by Livio Ramondelli. Tells stories of the War on Cybertron and just looks gorgeous. Has a mythical quality to it, the way I might have imagined early Cybertron and the wars fought there, if I could have visualized such images.

Secondly, Furman rebooted the Generation 1 series two or three years ago with the "Regeneration" series, with excellent art by Wildman. Wildman's art has come a long way. The characters have a beautiful G1 look and it's a very nice story, continuing the story of the Transformers after the 1986 movie.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

For me the artwork in that More than Meets the Eye series, as well as most other IDW Transformers series, just doesn't cut it. It's too childish and goofy looking.

There are two series which in my opinion have absolutely stunning artwork. First is the Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy trilogy with art by Livio Ramondelli. Tells stories of the War on Cybertron and just looks gorgeous. Has a mythical quality to it, the way I might have imagined early Cybertron and the wars fought there, if I could have visualized such images.

Secondly, Furman rebooted the Generation 1 series two or three years ago with the "Regeneration" series, with excellent art by Wildman. Wildman's art has come a long way. The characters have a beautiful G1 look and it's a very nice story, continuing the story of the Transformers after the 1986 movie.

Funnily enough I don't like the art in Autocracy at all. I mean, it's good but feel like it is too static and doesn't convey a sense of movement and action enough for a comic book. Plus the colors are a bit too murky. It is good artwork but I just don't don't think it fits the medium or this type of comic, plus gives the whole thing a look that is way too sombre for what is essentially a deeply silly premise.

I think Regeneration One is actually a continuation of the old Marvel continuity comics and not the cartoon/movie continuity.

Archived