Amazon’s 2017 pilot season - March 17

AncalagonTheBlack

Amazon’s 2017 pilot season will kick off on March 17, Variety has learned.

The streaming service will put up five pilots — two hourlongs and three half-hours. One of the hourlongs, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” comes from “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino; the other, “Oasis,” boasts both Richard Madden and Mark Addy from “Game of Thrones.” Amazon is also entering the adult animated space with “The New V.I.P.’s” from “The Life and Times of Tim” creator Steve Dildarian.

Here’s a full rundown of what Amazon users will be able to vote on starting March 17:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-2017-pilots-gilmore-girls-game-of-thrones-1202000667/

I'm interested in:

“Oasis”

Based on the cult-hit novel “The Book of Strange New Things” from Michel Faber, “Oasis” follows a chaplain — played by Richard Madden of “Game of Thrones” — who is sent into space to help establish a colony on a distant planet. What he ends up discovering not only puts his faith to the test, but life as we know it. The pilot also stars Indian actor and producer Anil Kapoor (“Slumdog Millionaire”) as Vikram Danesh, the head of the base on Oasis, Michael Shaw as B.G., Antje Traue (“Man of Steel”) as Grainger, Mark Addy as Halloran, Haley Joel Osment as Sy, Maureen Sebastian as Alicia Ruiz, Michael Shaffer as Phelps, and Zawe Ashton as Severin. “Oasis” is written by Matt Charman (“Bridge of Spies”), executive produced by Charman, Andy Harries (“The Crown”) and Left Bank Productions’ Lila Rawlings, produced by Rob Bullock, with Kevin MacDonald (“The Last King of Scotland”) directing. The pilot is a co-production of Amazon Studios and Left Bank Productions.

Complete list of pilots - http://deadline.com/2017-amazon-studios-pilots/

OAsis sounds good - might be a hard sell as a pilot though. I also fear I'll be freaked out at seeing a grown up Haley Joel Osmont.

The legend of master legend would have to lean heavy on the dark aspect of dark comedy for me. But that's just because I could see it working as a TV version of "super". Otherwise they should just stick with "the Tick"

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 3:29 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

How was Richard Madden, performance-wise? He was awful in that new Medici show.

Well to be fair to him the show itself was awful so there wasn't much to work with (I mean Medici, not Oasis)

• 1 month later...

Tried Oasis, gave up after about 15-20 minutes. I don't think Madden can carry a show. He wasn't very good in Medici.

But the main deal breaker was the premise that just broke any kind of immersion I could have had. The year is 2030, I think, the Earth is somehow dying, but somebody figured out how to travel to a planet on the other side of the galaxy.

a Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan series could be good I think... and anything having to do with Cuba, I am all in. 

It seems like yesterday there was a similar thread where most of us thought that "the Man in the High Castle" showed promise....lol.... 

Amazon has some terrific programming... but it seems like netflix has more money to burn through

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Amazon has some terrific programming... but it seems like netflix has more money to burn through

Probably the difference between one company being solely focused on entertainment and the other having a lot of other things going on as well.  Amazon likely has more capital as a whole, but they have a ton of different divisions that go beyond their television programming.

Archived