So... I'm engaged now.

Matrim Fox Cauthon

Yes, it is true. I am now engaged to be married as of yesterday, 8 March 2017 on International Women's Day. No, she didn't say "yes." I said "yes." 

For now, I will spare you the tale of how we met or how fantastic the relationship has been for us both. 

A few weeks ago, my girlfriend instructed me to take yesterday off as a vacation day. She told me that her undisclosed plans were in the early morning, but that I may not want to go to work afterward. Fine. So I did. As we prepared that morning, she instructed me to wear whatever was most comfortable. I was feeling empowered. The day before I had finished my first day teaching my first class as an instructor. I went with my lucky pink elephant boxers, pink Wonder Woman socks, and my iconic "Pretty Pink Shirt of Power," which is just a plain pink Oxford shirt. So my girlfriend, her best friend (who is also our roommate), and I went to the Vienna Zoo before opening hours. It was a pre-opening hours tour of the Vienna Zoo, which was neat. I can't say that I was expecting this. (A part of me thought we were out to buy a Nintendo Switch.) The guide showed us the aquarium and reptile exhibits before showing us the pandas (and the baby panda twins!) and then finally the elephants. Elephants have always been a childhood favorite animal of mine, and that childlike love of seeing them has never faded. It was there that my girlfriend dropped to her knee and then proposed to me with a Wonder Woman ring. I naturally said 'yes.' She recounted to me later how happy she was that I had serendipitously selected the clothes that I had in the morning. It was dramatic irony of the fate that would befall me. Our friend then left for work, leaving the two of us to enjoy a pleasant breakfast together and then strolling around the rest of the zoo with hardly anyone there. 

I can honestly say that this is not what I was expecting in my life back in 2014 when my doctoral adviser invited me to join her as her underling at her new job in Vienna. After a tumultuous year of getting everything together in preparation, I arrived in Austria in Fall 2015. Less than a month later I met and began dating my queer Euro-Commie feminist girlfriend, and here we are. 

Archived