Daylight savings time sucks spring 2020!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 11/6/2017 at 7:45 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've been camping three weekends in a row.  Right now I'm enjoying the shift back to Standard time.  Too bad it will not last.

I think you need to move to Arizona. :lol:

Perspective:

Living on the eastern edge of my time zone, I despise Standard time. I much prefer driving to work in the dark and getting an extra hour of daylight later in the day to this whole dark at 4 pm b.s. that happens in December.

My brother lives nearby on the western edge of his time zone. He despises Daylight time. His newspaper publishes articles every year decrying it.

I love that Daylight savings duration was extended on the calendar. He hates it.

44 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Perspective:

Living on the eastern edge of my time zone, I despise Standard time. I much prefer driving to work in the dark and getting an extra hour of daylight later in the day to this whole dark at 4 pm b.s. that happens in December.

My brother lives nearby on the western edge of his time zone. He despises Daylight time. His newspaper publishes articles every year decrying it.

I love that Daylight savings duration was extended on the calendar. He hates it.

Pick one.  I prefer standard but I could live with DST

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Pick one.  I prefer standard but I could live with DST

I agree. I vote DST.  :)

Follow up to my last post: My brother is in Indiana, where some counties did EDT, some stayed on EST all year. It was confounding. They standardized it to all go EST and EDT (except for a few counties near Chicago and the southwestern corner that are on Central Time).  Griping about their place in the space timezone continuum for Hoosiers is just like griping about the weather for the rest of the world.

Which one is it actually right now?  I have never understood which one is daylight savings and which is standard.  It's just fucking summer or winter time the names make no fucking sense and if you come at me with some historical context I don't care.  I. Don't. Even. Care .

Shenanigans.

Overall, I think I enjoy switching the clocks.  Learning how to shift your schedule a bit is a life skill.  I think we need to actually up the ante a bit and start switching it an hour back or forth once every two months.  I'm thinking either a coin flip to see which direction it goes or just the fall back an hour every time.  It's just as arbitrary in practice as what we have now.

15 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Which one is it actually right now?  I have never understood which one is daylight savings and which is standard. 

Me neither, though the only time it bothers me is when I don't know whether to put a D or S in the middle while doing a crossword.

I lived in Indiana during the years when they didn't change clocks and it was kind of amusing to have the TV schedule flip between New York and Chicago times. 

4 hours ago, The Wedge said:

Perspective:

I completely agree with that. Dark is depressing. I don't care if it's dark in the morning But dark in the afternoon is just horrible.

8 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's not the dark that depresses me.  It's the shortened evening right when the days are shortening.  

That happens with or without DST.  People complain about the dark in the morning and insist the shift back to Standard time is necessary.  I've said before I prefer Standard but would live with DST if it just eliminated the shifting.

46 minutes ago, Old Zog said:

It's Standard time now (if you're in the Northern hemisphere). Standard time is Winter, daylight savings time is Summer.

I think what makes it tough for me to determine which is which, is that it seems like winter would be when you want to save daylight, but apparently we've been trying to shove that genie back in the bottle all summer long.  Go figure.

I don't care which we'd end up with as long as they pick one and leave it alone. I was fine on Sunday, but I've been wiped out all week. As soon as the sun sets I want to go to bed and sleep. I have a light box that I use every day in the winter and vitamin D is a good friend. Otherwise I'd go into hibernation. It's so gloomy here, especially in January, and we can go weeks without a single sunny day. I actually don't mind going forward and losing an hour of sleep in March--that extra hour of daylight in the evening makes all the difference and doesn't bother me at all.

If we stayed on DST it would be dark till around 9 am in winter. But it wouldn't get dark until 5 ish in December. 

• 9 months later...

Archived