Army Power of each house

UFT

as of beginning of season 7. what do you guys think?

anyway my personal list

1. house targaryen. seems to be nigh unbeatable. all the chivalry of the south rides with her, and they themselves were largely unscratched by the war. easily over 100 000 warriors.

2. tyrells by themselves. the flower of chivalry. they have the most knights. though jaime said they have the second largest but that could simply be arrogance on his part he also doesn't know the mines of the westerlands are gone. tyrells have a very fertile land and superior resources to make weapons and armor.

3. lannisters. most likely the house jaime is talking about as being larger than tyrells. showwise we know they can at least call up 7000 men to fight in the riverlands on short notice. 

4. house arryn. no losses taken in the war so far. the vale is mountainous but also fertile and the knights of the vale have a strong proud tradition of military might. also the other contender for having an even bigger army than the tyrells.

5. bastard branch of house martell. sand snakes have a shaky leadership but their army's untouched so far. i cant see them having a bigger force than arryns 

6. hightowers. they control oldtown and that is a rich place to draw an army from. untouched by the war, and assuming things are even close to how they are in the books, they should be the second greatest house in the entire reach.

7. royces. again they command a largely untouched army and probably the second greatest bannermen of king jon besides the arryns.

8. redwynes

9. yronwoods

10. tarlys

the last 3 i dont really know their army power, im guessing based on regions controlled by them and the fact they should be untouched by the wars thus far. freys are spent. starks are smashed. baratheons, boltons, umbers, karstarks, tullys and others are all but wiped out.

Dany, she has trained infantry, Dothraki Light Cavalry, The Forces of Dorne and the Tyrells, at least some of the Iron Born, plus she has close air support.

The Night King, really the only force that could match Dany's. 

then, way down the list, the Lannisters, standing basically by themselves (except for the Freys who are leaderless thanks to Arya Stark), rumors of an alliance with Euron notwithstanding which gives them a Navy but they are weak on the ground which is where the decision will be made.  Plus their Navy will be very vulnerable to Dragons.

The Forces of the King in the North, including the Knights of the Vale, they stand alone at the moment but I expect them to ally with Dany.

The true fight of course will be the living against the dead and that may just be enough to unite Lannister, Targaryen and Stark forces together.

7 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Dany, she has trained infantry, Dothraki Light Cavalry, The Forces of Dorne and the Tyrells, at least some of the Iron Born, plus she has close air support.

The Night King, really the only force that could match Dany's. 

then, way down the list, the Lannisters, standing basically by themselves (except for the Freys who are leaderless thanks to Arya Stark), rumors of an alliance with Euron notwithstanding which gives them a Navy but they are weak on the ground which is where the decision will be made.  Plus their Navy will be very vulnerable to Dragons.

The Forces of the King in the North, including the Knights of the Vale, they stand alone at the moment but I expect them to ally with Dany.

The true fight of course will be the living against the dead and that may just be enough to unite Lannister, Targaryen and Stark forces together.

Euron got an advantage over Yara's fleet in sheer numbers, if someone can manage to control one of dragons it's also taking away some strength. Dragon can't be everywhere and has to fly with Dany in order to attack as she wants. Dorne and Tyrells are questionable what they can do but by the sound of it not much. Dothraki are virtually useless against Night King because their advantage is with their horses. Dany got a lot of strength but few things and then tides can turn the other way. Weather can make it difficult, food supply. Jon allying himself with Dany makes sense but Cersei and Lannisters not sure.

19 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Euron got an advantage over Yara's fleet in sheer numbers, if someone can manage to control one of dragons it's also taking away some strength. Dragon can't be everywhere and has to fly with Dany in order to attack as she wants. Dorne and Tyrells are questionable what they can do but by the sound of it not much. Dothraki are virtually useless against Night King because their advantage is with their horses. Dany got a lot of strength but few things and then tides can turn the other way. Weather can make it difficult, food supply. Jon allying himself with Dany makes sense but Cersei and Lannisters not sure.

Why would Euron have more ships than Yara? He was planning on building some. Can he replace the entire fleet in the time it takes Yara to sail from the Iron Islands to Mereen to back again?

7 hours ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Why would Euron have more ships than Yara? He was planning on building some. Can he replace the entire fleet in the time it takes Yara to sail from the Iron Islands to Mereen to back again?

He's gonna have most likely a massive fleet and he's far more exprienced in fighting than Yara, better commander. If he can replace the ships Yara took? Of course he can if D&D wants him to. He's gonna have a massive production (although finding so many trees on Iron Islands), they don't follow logic in this. We don't know how many months passed between Yara getting to Meereen, convincing Dany then getting back. I guess, Euron has a magical tool that builds him all these ships to fight.

It's almost impossible to tell the strength of the different houses on the show. It's already fairly difficult/inconclusive in the books, but in the show, where a lot of loss of detail was basically unavoidable...

In both books and show  the strength of the different players is, more or less (less in the books, more on the show) whatever the author/the writers want/need them to be to tell their story. Throughout the show we have seen the strength of armies decrease, increase and flat out poof out of/into existence with little reason attached to it (for example the large armies Walter Frey suddenly had and which Robb suddenly needed in season 3). Even the book is guilty of it (the untapped manpower the North suddenly produced out of nowhere)

You can't even go by the lesser houses because in the show they only exist when they are needed for scenes.

Personally I'm not really bothered by it this is a book/tv series, not a military docu. So as long as it's entertaining and not completely ridiculous, I'm not bothered about it.

20 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

He's gonna have most likely a massive fleet and he's far more exprienced in fighting than Yara, better commander. If he can replace the ships Yara took? Of course he can if D&D wants him to. He's gonna have a massive production (although finding so many trees on Iron Islands), they don't follow logic in this. We don't know how many months passed between Yara getting to Meereen, convincing Dany then getting back. I guess, Euron has a magical tool that builds him all these ships to fight.

but I thought that the magical tools of westeros were the teleportation machine of Varys and LF and, as suggested by @A Ghost of Someone the cloning machine of Qyburn. So now we have to assume there is a magical building ship tool as well? :lol: lol

I think Euron's fleet will(and should be) be not as big as Yara's, making Targaryen's fleet bigger than the Lannister's (considering than Euron joins Cersei and that Yara and Theon join Daenerys).

Of course with some months having passed, as 6.10 suggests (with the teleportation of Varys, than realistically shouldn't be such and I will see it this way) Euron can have built many ships, but definitely not as many as Yara's.

8 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

but I thought that the magical tools of westeros were the teleportation machine of Varys and LF and, as suggested by @A Ghost of Someone the cloning machine of Qyburn. So now we have to assume there is a magical building ship tool as well? :lol: lol

I know and Jon and Sansa could barely rub two loyal and uncowardly Northmen to fight for them and had to rely on a small army of Wildings to be the bulk of their forces. Cersei suddenly has over 10k to lose and still be formidable enough that they rather negotiate with her than try to force her ouf the Red Keep. Euron builds hundreds of ships in a few months with some sunken forrest as look at the iron islands, there cannot be that many trees to cut.

15 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

D&D took this magical aspect of the story way too literal, everybody got some magic. 

I do believe Euron has to have a bigger fleet or at least on par with Yara. Dany has many advantages over Team Euron and Cersie in almost everything. So if they want it to be at least in some aspcts realistic, then they have to have some tricks up their sleeves besides wildfire which was already used and it seems more like a last gap solution. When Dany's armies are right at the gates.

3 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

D&D took this magical aspect of the story way too literal, everybody got some magic. 

I do believe Euron has to have a bigger fleet or at least on par with Yara. Dany has many advantages over Team Euron and Cersie in almost everything. So if they want it to be at least in some aspcts realistic, then they have to have some tricks up their sleeves besides wildfire which was already used and it seems more like a last gap solution. When Dany's armies are right at the gates.

Let's not forget the magic mind-control device Elaria Sand and Cersei Lannister have to suppress any of the revolts or assassins that, by all logic, should blow their way. Maybe Cersei is really Emma Frost? Nah, she's not subtle enough and doesn't wear enough white.

18 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think Euron's fleet will(and should be) be not as big as Yara's, making Targaryen's fleet bigger than the Lannister's (considering than Euron joins Cersei and that Yara and Theon join Daenerys).

Of course with some months having passed, as 6.10 suggests (with the teleportation of Varys, than realistically shouldn't be such and I will see it this way) Euron can have built many ships, but definitely not as many as Yara's.

Well doesn't Daenerys also have some ships supplied by the cities in Slavers' Bay.

Meanwhile the Lannisters should only have Euron's and whatever Cersei has lying around in KL/CR. The only way they could get more would be (somehow) taking hold of the Redwyne Fleet. And since the Redwynes or their fleet haven't really been introduced to the show, this would be problematic.

15 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Let's not forget the magic mind-control device Elaria Sand and Cersei Lannister have to suppress any of the revolts or assassins that, by all logic, should blow their way. Maybe Cersei is really Emma Frost? Nah, she's not subtle enough and doesn't wear enough white.

Well doesn't Daenerys also have some ships supplied by the cities in Slavers' Bay.

Meanwhile the Lannisters should only have Euron's and whatever Cersei has lying around in KL/CR. The only way they could get more would be (somehow) taking hold of the Redwyne Fleet. And since the Redwynes or their fleet haven't really been introduced to the show, this would be problematic.

Yes, in terms of ships Targaryens (and the younger part of house Greyjoy) have more of them without any doubt.

What really shits me about these army topics is no one takes into account the weather. Westeros will be covered in snowstorms during Danys campaign, snow which Dothraki, Unsullied, Southern forces and Dragons are unacustomed to fighting in.

If lead correctly, handsdown the Vale has the strongest army. Unaffected by the wars, equipped and trained to fight in winter.

1 hour ago, KINGpanther said:

What really shits me about these army topics is no one takes into account the weather. Westeros will be covered in snowstorms during Danys campaign, snow which Dothraki, Unsullied, Southern forces and Dragons are unacustomed to fighting in.

If lead correctly, handsdown the Vale has the strongest army. Unaffected by the wars, equipped and trained to fight in winter.

that's true

even before the snow, dothraki are terrible sailors. half of them might get sick and die before dany even reaches westeros. 

9 hours ago, dsug said:

that's true

even before the snow, dothraki are terrible sailors. half of them might get sick and die before dany even reaches westeros. 

That's likely in the books but the show really don't show the dangers of sea travel. E.g Jorah and Tyrion traveling through Valyria in a row boat.

11 hours ago, KINGpanther said:

That's likely in the books but the show really don't show the dangers of sea travel. E.g Jorah and Tyrion traveling through Valyria in a row boat.

While the show doesn't get into to much detail ..If there was supposed to be a weather problem for dothraki then it will surely be touched on the show as well..

You bring up how no one thinks about climate and weather  but on the other hand all I see is too often people use this as an excuse to completely disregard dany's army and power just like that ...which is also wrong because this is after all a fantasy and you dont spend setting up things for books after book and them simply kill them and drown them just like that.

On 20. 3. 2017 at 5:11 PM, KINGpanther said:

In theory the North could go to the war with them as long is i won't be regular warfare and battles. More of Guerilla War and using weather against them. But these talks are pointless since they got White Walkers to fight.

I'm curious to see how Dothraki and Unsullied will do in snow. Dragonstone and these parts of Westeros are relatively warm, compare that to the North and winter that White Walkers are bringing with them. Dragons in windy or as we saw at Hardhome avalanche.

Archived