What is Ghost?

Quellon

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I gotta say, I am a little surprised at how many posters think Mel and Ghost are alike and how many think Ghost was trusting Mel in that scene by the tower. Learn something new everyday.

Indeed. I was under the impression that it was commonly believed that the Red Witch of Rahloo was using some sort of spell or glamour to entice Ghost.

24 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Indeed. I was under the impression that it was commonly believed that the Red Witch of Rahloo was using some sort of spell or glamour to intice Ghost.

Oh yeah, it seems she was. The air was full of smells (often associated with Mel and her magics), and she explains how at the wall every word and gesture is more powerful. I guess, to me, it shows that Ghost is flesh and blood and still susceptible to bad influences if they are strong enough??? I don't know about that meaning because I have not really thought about that aspect too much.

Adding: Yes, I am being genuine in this slight shock. Not sarcastic.

8 hours ago, zandru said:

But the red eyes provide the best evidence that the lady WAS an albino. If they were, and it'wasn't just an optical illusion, maybe caused by the fire.

Albinos don't really have red eyes, anyway.  The color of the eye as perceived by an observer is usually determined by the pigmentation of the iris (the ring of tissue, mostly contractile muscle, determining the aperture diameter of the pupil).    So if the irises are pale (usually in albinism they are pale blue or some other pale color due to the paucity of melanin deposition within the iris), light bouncing off the back of the eye (i.e. the highly vascular retina) passes through the translucent iris -- via a process called 'transillumination' (from 'eyewiki') -- creating the appearance of red eyes.  Think of melanin as natural sunblock (this is the phenomenon you observe when someone gets a suntan, reflecting increased melanin production and deposition in the skin, following which s/he is relatively more protected from sunburn).   In albinism in contrast, less melanin in the iris means less of a light shield, hence both more light gets through to the retina, and passes out again.

Eye color

Eye color can range from very light blue to brown and may change with age.

The lack of pigment in the colored part of the eyes (irises) makes them somewhat translucent. This means that the irises can't completely block light from entering the eye. Because of this, very light-colored eyes may appear red in some lighting. This occurs because you're seeing light reflected off the back of the eye and passing back out through the iris again — similar to the red-eye that occurs in a flash photo.

From: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/albinism/basics/symptoms/con-20029935

The Ghost of High Heart is an albino.  So is Melisandre, as @Unchained points out (the red hair is most probably a dye or glamour to give her a more glamorous and youthful appearance in order to appeal to those she intends seducing into her project).  Assuming Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar are her parents, there would even be a 'real-world' genetic explanation for the albinism.  Albinism is a rare genetic recessive disorder, which means that the genetic allele in question must be inherited from both parents (you need a double copy of the gene determining the defect in order for the defect to be expressed), in other words, to be phenotypically manifested.  Since Bloodraven and Shiera were siblings -- and Targaryen siblings at that (implying a high frequency of recessive genes floating about in their common gene pool, due to the history of incest -- a  less loaded word is 'consanguinity' -- in their family which tends to concentrate such disorders, e.g. in a 'real-world' setting the higher frequency of recessive genetic abnormalities presenting in Ashkenazi Jewish populations, among whom intermarriage with non-Jews was culturally restricted historically) -- therefore the likelihood of Shiera also carrying one of the alleles, and having passed it on to her child, is high.  

In our fictional context, the implication is that just as 'Tay-Sachs Disease' is characteristic for the Ashkenazi Jews, perhaps albinism is characteristic for the Targaryens!  It's possible therefore that the albinism shared by Jon's direwolf 'Ghost', the Ghost of High Heart, Bloodraven, Melisandre and the weirwood trees -- yes you heard me right (this is a FICTIONAL world, not a purely scientific one GRRM is describing) -- indicates that all of the above have 'dragon blood', literally and/or figuratively.  Indeed, the weirwoods are dragons!  

Furthermore, as I've explained above, it's too simplistic to say that the eye color of those with albinism is always 'red'.  In fact -- and this is relevant to the fictional context we're exploring -- the irises of albinos are usually a very pale color (usually pale blue), which together with the light-scattering and -reflective effects (the 'red' of the retina which is sometimes perceived by an observer) might appear violet.  

Red and violet

220px-OCA1_Auge.jpg

"Red" albino eyes

The eyes of people with severe forms of albinism may appear red under certain lighting conditions owing to the extremely low quantities of melanin,[77] allowing the blood vessels to show through. In addition, flash photography can sometimes cause a "red-eye effect", in which the very bright light from a flash reflects off the retina, which is abundantly vascular, causing the pupil to appear red in the photograph.[78]Although the deep blue eyes of some people such as Elizabeth Taylor can appear violet at certain times, "true" violet-colored eyes occur only due to albinism.[79]

Perhaps all those pale-skinned, platinum-haired, violet-eyed dragonlords of old were afflicted with albinism?

The World of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen Kings: Viserys II

The last of Viserys's children was his only daughter, Naerys, born in 138 AC. She had skin so pale that it seemed almost translucent, men said. She was small of frame (and made smaller by having little appetite), with very fine features, and singers wrote songs in praise of her eyes—a deep violet in hue and very large, framed by pale lashes.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: The Quarrelsome Daughters: Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh

The Lyseni are also great breeders of slaves, mating beauty with beauty in hopes of producing ever more refined and lovely courtesans and bedslaves. The blood of Valyria still runs strong in Lys, where even the smallfolk oft boast pale skin, silver-gold hair, and the purple, lilac, and pale blue eyes of the dragonlords of old. The Lysene nobility values purity of blood above all and have produced many famous (and infamous) beauties. Even the Targaryen kings and princes of old sometimes turned to Lys in search of wives and paramours, for their blood as for their beauty. Aptly, many Lyseni worship a love goddess whose naked, wanton figure graces their coinage.

This last quote hints at selective breeding practices by the Lyseni whereby one albino might have been bred with another, in order to ensure that the recessive trait would not be diluted.

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys III

As the riding became less an ordeal, Dany began to notice the beauties of the land around her. She rode at the head of the khalasar with Drogo and his bloodriders, so she came to each country fresh and unspoiled. Behind them the great horde might tear the earth and muddy the rivers and send up clouds of choking dust, but the fields ahead of them were always green and verdant.

They crossed the rolling hills of Norvos, past terraced farms and small villages where the townsfolk watched anxiously from atop white stucco walls. They forded three wide placid rivers and a fourth that was swift and narrow and treacherous, camped beside a high blue waterfall, skirted the tumbled ruins of a vast dead city where ghosts were said to moan among blackened marble columns. They raced down Valyrian roads a thousand years old and straight as a Dothraki arrow. For half a moon, they rode through the Forest of Qohor, where the leaves made a golden canopy high above them, and the trunks of the trees were as wide as city gates. There were great elk in that wood, and spotted tigers, and lemurs with silver fur and huge purple eyes, but all fled before the approach of the khalasar and Dany got no glimpse of them.

@Killer B points out the Lemurs of Qohor are called 'little Valyrians'.  Maybe albino lemurs!

The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: Qohor

The Forest of Qohor also yields up furs and pelts of all kinds, many rare and fine and highly prized, as well as silver, tin, and amber. The vast forest has never been fully explored, according to the maps and scrolls at the Citadel, and it likely conceals many mysteries and wonders at its heart. Like many northerly forests, it contains elk and deer in great numbers, along with wolves, tree cats, boars of truly monstrous size, spotted bears, and even a species of lemur—a creature known from the Summer Isles and Sothoryos, but otherwise rarely seen farther north. These lemurs are said to have silver-white fur and purple eyes, and are sometimes called Little Valyrians.

@J. Stargaryen also points out that 'lemur' in Latin means 'spirits of the dead'.

lemur (n.) 

nocturnal Madagascar mammal, 1795, given this sense by Linnaeus, from Latin lemures (plural, singular lemurum) "evil spirits of the dead" in Roman mythology, a word of uncertain origin. De Vaan finds it likely that it and Greek lamia are borrowings of a non-Indo-European (perhaps Anatolian/Etruscan) word for malevolent spirits.

The oldest usage of "lemur" for a primate that we are aware of is in Linnaeus's catalog of the Museum of King Adolf Frederick of Sweden (Tattersall, 1982); .... In this work, he explained his use of the name "lemur" thus: "Lemures dixi hos, quod noctu imprimis obambulant, hominibus quodanmodo similes, & lento passu vagantur " [Dunkel, Alexander R., et al., "Giant rabbits, marmosets, and British comedies: etymology of lemur names, part 1," in "Lemur News," vol. xvi, 2011-2012, p.65]

Which reminded me of this quote in which Dany gets a dragon vision of her ancestors:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"… want to wake the dragon …"

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

"… wake the dragon …"

Notice how many 'ghosts' may be albinos?

• The ghost-symbolism surrounding the lemurs who are found in the vicinity of  'a vast dead city where ghosts were said to moan among blackened marble columns.'
  • Ghost the direwolf
  • Bloodraven half-corpse half-tree whom most people assume to be dead -- thus a 'ghost' -- who takes possession of the bodies of others (i.e. 'haunts' them) 
  • The Ghost of High Heart communing with her ghosts
  • Melisandre who doesn't need to eat or sleep -- who has probably been fire-resurrected and is an 'undead' ghostly creature herself
  • Dany's ancestors
  • Dany herself may be a ghost, having 'died' in the fire and come again
  • Finally -- and most importantly in terms of the symbolism -- the weirwood tree itself, a community of ghosts of those who have all 'gone into the tree' following their physical deaths

By incorporating the vestiges into his symbolism of folkloric beliefs that albinism can transmit magical powers, GRRM seems to be, however inadvertently, buying into the tradition of viewing those with albinism with superstition.  He is by no means the only one employing the motif of albinism as somehow magical, even evil (see this wikipedia article on 'Albinism in popular culture' in which the 'evil albino plot device and albino bias' is examined).

Sadly, due to lingering superstition about a widely misunderstood medical condition, those living with albinism still face persecution including the threat of murder all over the world:

Persecution of people with albinism (sometimes abbreviated PWA[1]) is based on the belief that certain body parts of albinistic people can transmit magical powers. Such superstition is present especially in some parts of the African Great Lakes region, it has been promulgated and exploited by witch doctors and others who use such body parts as ingredients in rituals, concoctions and potions with the claim that their magic will bring prosperity to the user (muti or medicine murder)[2]

As a result, people with albinism have been persecuted, killed and dismembered, and graves of albinos dug up and desecrated. At the same time, people with albinism have also been ostracised and even killed for exactly the opposite reason, because they are presumed to be cursed and bring bad luck. The persecutions of people with albinism take place mostly in Sub-Saharan African communities, especially among East Africans.[3]:81

Albinism is a genetically inherited condition which is very rare and, worldwide, affects approximately one in twenty thousand people[4]Although rare in the western world, albinism is quite common in sub-Saharan Africa, likely as a result of consanguinity.[3] Both parents, who may or may not be albinos themselves, must carry the gene if it is to be passed on to the child. Albinism occurs in both males and females and is not specific to any race or ethnic group. Statistics prove that fifty percent of albinistic people in Tanzania have a known albinistic relative,[3]:80 although very few understand or are educated about the medical and genetic causes of this condition. Many believe it is a punishment from God or bad luck, and that their "disease" could be contagious, which is often the view of even members of the medical and professional community. These misconceptions, coupled with the lack of education, are some of the key reasons that albinism is so heavily persecuted. This lack of knowledge about people with albinism means that folktales and superstition in the name of witchcraft take the place of medical and scientific facts in the minds of many native Africans, with and without albinism, which in turn has major effects on the social integration of albinistic people into African society. Ninety-eight percent of albinos die by the age of forty for reasons which could easily be prevented.[5]

Because albinism is a recessive genetic trait, this may be why Jon does not resemble a Targaryen.  The Stark genes are dominant (the 'seed is strong'...)!  Nevertheless, he may still be carrying that allele without expressing it, which means if he has sex with a Targaryen -- *cough* Dany, his aunt or sister -- the likelihood of their children being afflicted with albinism is high.

Ygritte, according to GRRM's paraphrasing, explains the risks of consanguinity:

A Storm of Swords - Jon III

"Who was he?"

"A boy at a feast, five years past. He'd come trading with his brothers, and he had hair like mine, kissed by fire, so I thought he would be lucky. But he was weak. When he came back t' try and steal me, Longspear broke his arm and ran him off, and he never tried again, not once."

“It wasn’t Longspear, then?” Jon was relieved. He liked Longspear, with his homely face and friendly ways.

She punched him. “That’s vile. Would you bed your sister?”

“Longspear’s not your brother.”

“He’s of my village. You know nothing, Jon Snow. A true man steals a woman from afar, t’strengthen the clan. Women who bed brothers or fathers or clan kin offend the gods, and are cursed with weak and sickly children. Even monsters.”

Of course, this is ironic in the context of the circumstances of Jon's parentage.  'Jon Snow knows nothing,' because he's being -- unknowingly -- told the story of why his father 'stole' his mother.  Scientifically-speaking, it was to produce healthy, robust offspring by decreasing the chances of genetic abnormalities!

“Craster weds his daughters,” Jon pointed out.

She punched him again. “Craster’s more your kind than ours. His father was a crow who stole a woman out of Whitetree vil age, but after he had her he flew back t’ his Wall. She went t’ Castle Black once t’ show the crow his son, but the brothers blew their horns and run her off. Craster’s blood is black, and he bears a heavy curse.”

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I gotta say, I am a little surprised at how many posters think Mel and Ghost are alike and how many think Ghost was trusting Mel in that scene by the tower. Learn something new everyday.

Mel and Ghost are definitely symbolically aligned, but I don't think it means he necessarily trusts her.  She glamored him into seeing Jon as a stranger.  

A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

When he finally put the quill down, the room was dim and chilly, and he could feel its walls closing in. Perched above the window, the Old Bear's raven peered down at him with shrewd black eyes. My last friend, Jon thought ruefully. And I had best outlive you, or you'll eat my face as well. Ghost did not count. Ghost was closer than a friend. Ghost was part of him.

Jon rose and climbed the steps to the narrow bed that had once been Donal Noye's. This is my lot, he realized as he undressed, from now until the end of my days.

The language here is very clever.  Ghost is fated to outlive Jon, following Jon's assassination, whereafter we expect Ghost to take up Jon's spirit into safekeeping -- hence his name 'Ghost'; he's Jon's 'spirit vessel,' as @LmL calls it -- until such time as Jon's body can be resurrected and his body and spirit united.  Being taken up by Ghost into his body and mind is a bit like skinchanging, so in a sense when Jon is dead, having lost his physical form, he will be 'faceless' and Ghost will have eaten his face by swallowing his spirit, as it were (he'll also be wearing Ghost's face, like a faceless man wearing one of those 'leather hoods' as Arya refers to them).

Another way of interpreting Jon's sense that Ghost is 'part of him' is that as an albino Ghost is a marker of Jon's Targaryen heritage, not observable on the surface (since Stark genes for appearance trump Targaryen ones), yet nevertheless present beneath the skin!

A Dance with Dragons - Jon VI

Jon let out a white breath. "He is not always so …"

"… warm? Warmth calls to warmth, Jon Snow." Her eyes were two red stars, shining in the dark. At her throat, her ruby gleamed, a third eye glowing brighter than the others. Jon had seen Ghost's eyes blazing red the same way, when they caught the light just right. "Ghost," he called. "To me."

The direwolf looked at him as if he were a stranger.

'Warmth calls to warmth' reminds me of the adage 'blood calls to blood' or 'fire to fire' -- so perhaps this is an example of one dragon calling to another (although of course one dragon should never trust the invitation of another to 'dance')!

The idea of Jon being a 'stranger' might be foreshadowing of Jon dying.  Still, it leaves me unsettled that Ghost might reject Jon in any way, especially as a result of Melisandre's machinations -- since her motives and the means she employs to achieve them are always highly suspect.

ETA:  I suspect GRRM may have included the anecdote of how Melisandre was able to entice Ghost into trusting her, since when the time comes she will be the only one who will be able to get close enough to Ghost in order to sacrifice him -- however much I hate that thought :crying: -- in order to drive Jon's spirit out of Ghost and back into his body (that's also why GRRM has impressed on us that a greenseer/skinchanger/warg often loses himself in the experience, failing to return to his human form...usually it takes a violent jolt like being burnt or another physical assault on the host body in order to evict the spirit from its torpor).

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

He's an albino, which sets him apart already. Don't know about the not making a sound, and yes he is clearly special and different from the other direwolves, but I think he's still a direwolf named Ghost as opposed to a person in direwolf form, or an alien being pretending to be a direwolf.

The albino seems to be magical in this series. Bloodraven, Ghost, there's got to be another example but I can't think of one. Maybe it indicates the combination of Targaryen blood with a hefty dose of First Men blood? If R+L=J then Jon and Bloodraven are the only two who have that combination at the levels they have.

/\ This /\

2 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Mel and Ghost are definitely symbolically aligned, but I don't think it means he necessarily trusts her.  She glamored him into seeing Jon as a stranger.  

Oh yeah, I totally agree that she was using a spell of some sort on Ghost while trying to glamour herself to look like Ygritte, where Jon almost fell for it for just a second, but then he wise's up and sees through the glamour. This inevitably leads onto other notions about how Know Nothing Jon is finding wisdom throughout the book, and how part of that is his ability to see through the false veil of glamours.

In that scene we have smells, gestures, and pulsating rubies. Mel was pulling out all of her magic tricks to try and bag (bang?) Jon.

44 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He's an albino weirwolf.

Damn right he is! 

@Quellon I've long wondered what part the Direwolves will play. We probably know more about dragons at this point, making me think Ghost and his siblings will have a big reveal of some kind or another.

I'm not sure about the whole "Direwolves being second lives of someone or another" scenario, but it could certainly be a fun turn up for the books!

One thing that has always interested me in the stone Direwolves in the Winterfell crypts. How many Kings of Winters might have actually had their own wolf?

3 hours ago, White Ravens said:

I sometimes wonder what the dynamic would have been if the Stark children and their direwolves hadn't been seperated from one another.  Dogs in social groups have Alpha males (or female,s as in the case of Nymeria-gone-wild and her mega wolfpack) and I think Ghost may have ended up filling that position.  When the pups are first found with their dead mother they are quite young and their eyes hadn't opened yet.  Except for Ghost.  He had crawled away from the dead mother and his eyes were open.  I take that to indicate that he was already more developed and more independent than his diresiblings.

Good observation my freind, the albino "outcast" may have just been following a scent he caught when Jon found him seperately, his hunting instincts already begining to kick in. Jon did "catch a scent" of his own when he turned back to find his future companion. Perhaps Ghost was protecting his litter mates in some way.

Had the children stayed together, the dynamic amongst the wolves would have certainly been interesting. Nymeria and Summer both go on to lead packs of their own, perhaps suggesting social instincts strong enough that either of these two could also be good Stark Alphas. Considering Grey Wind's status as an eventual veteran of several large scale battles and Shaggydog's generaly wild nature, Lady might have been considered the "runt" of the litter in some ways.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Oh yeah, it seems she was. The air was full of smells (often associated with Mel and her magics), and she explains how at the wall every word and gesture is more powerful. I guess, to me, it shows that Ghost is flesh and blood and still susceptible to bad influences if they are strong enough??? I don't know about that meaning because I have not really thought about that aspect too much.

@ravenous reader

I thought she just had some bacon in her pocket, but I guess that kinda makes since too.

You really think she glamored Jon?  We have only seen her glamor other people and objects when they have rubies on them or am I forgetting something.  

As an addendum to my previous thoughts:

It occurs to me that should Jon's resurrection necessitate Ghost's sacrifice, then there's a parallel between maternal Ghost and Lyanna, both dying in order to give birth to Jon.

If you enjoy puns: this will occur when 'Ghost gives up the ghost...'

16 minutes ago, Unchained said:

@ravenous reader

I thought she just had some bacon in her pocket, but I guess that kinda makes since too.

You really think she glamored Jon?  We have only seen her glamor other people and objects when they have rubies on them or am I forgetting something.  

Speaking for myself to answer this one, I think she glamoured herself to look like Ygritte using her pulsating ruby at her throat (but that failed miserably) and I think she was using a combo of spells and gestures to trick Ghost into "trusting" her. This happens in Jon/28 chapter.

It is in Mel's only ADWD chapter, #31, so just after this tower scene, we learn this as well:

• The carved chest that she had brought across the narrow sea was more than three-quarters empty now. And while Melisandre had the knowledge to make more powders, she lacked many rare ingredients. My spells should suffice. She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

25 minutes ago, Unchained said:

@ravenous reader

But to answer your other question, I think Beggin' Strips work better, no?

I think he took on alot of jon like the other wolves took on some of their owners traits

grey wind-was a warrior like rob

Lady-she was soft and domesticated like sanse

nymeria-she is extremly smart and violent like her owner. Arya is a very odd girl who obviously has something broken in her and likely had a coldness to her in the beggining as well. Her wolf makes a giant pack of wolves and kills tons of people with it. I still think the pack protected arya to a point.

Ghost is alot like jon if you think about it. Ghost going off on his own and hunting for long periods is alot like jon. Jon was a loner in  alot of ways to due to him being a bastard and always being kept outside his family by catelyn. Jon is also quieter then the others which seems to go alot like ghost. Personally I think ghost is the most noticable one but with the excepton of bran's wolf      ghost is the wolf we see the most and it goes into more detail

22 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I think he took on alot of jon like the other wolves took on some of their owners traits

grey wind-was a warrior like rob

Lady-she was soft and domesticated like sanse

nymeria-she is extremly smart and violent like her owner. Arya is a very odd girl who obviously has something broken in her and likely had a coldness to her in the beggining as well. Her wolf makes a giant pack of wolves and kills tons of people with it. I still think the pack protected arya to a point.

Ghost is alot like jon if you think about it. Ghost going off on his own and hunting for long periods is alot like jon. Jon was a loner in  alot of ways to due to him being a bastard and always being kept outside his family by catelyn. Jon is also quieter then the others which seems to go alot like ghost. Personally I think ghost is the most noticable one but with the excepton of bran's wolf      ghost is the wolf we see the most and it goes into more detail

I can relate to that. This sure beats "no, he's just an albino direwolf" explanations. :rolleyes: But I still think there is something special about him, even for a direwolf. The fact that he opened his eyes first and almost wandered away says a lot. Other pups stayed in the same place.

3 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Albinos don't really have red eyes, anyway.  ...

Thanks for this great discussion of albinism! I had little idea. I think you may be onto something with the Targaryon lineage, but I've got to draw the line at any biologic linkage between trees, wolves, dragon riders etc. It would seem to be pushing "magic" too far.

Actually albino's can have red eyes. My mothers friend had an albino child and it has red eyes. In terms of animals you don't see them in the wild much because it tends to get them killed. I knew a guy who raised rats and his explanation was if rats get too inbred it starts to happen alot more. (not that all albino's are inbred that wasn't what I meant at all). But to my thing about animals in the wild not doing well as albino's that guy that had rats said he couldn't put them in direct sunlight for a long period of times because it messed up their eyes

1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

Despite the fact there is really nothing in the text that can support your assertion here. <_<

Nymeria is also a leader and a dominant female, that unites wolf packs into a huge group with her at the head. 

What do you mean her pack protected her "to a point"? 

11 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

He's an albino, which sets him apart already. Don't know about the not making a sound, and yes he is clearly special and different from the other direwolves, but I think he's still a direwolf named Ghost as opposed to a person in direwolf form, or an alien being pretending to be a direwolf.

The albino seems to be magical in this series. Bloodraven, Ghost, there's got to be another example but I can't think of one. Maybe it indicates the combination of Targaryen blood with a hefty dose of First Men blood? If R+L=J then Jon and Bloodraven are the only two who have that combination at the levels they have.

Like the GoHH? 

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Adding: Yes, I am being genuine in this slight shock. Not sarcastic.

I'm with you. To me that was so clearly some type of trick or sleight of hand, so to speak...

Archived