(Spoilers) Mr. Robot final season

Mark Antony

Pretty sure the previous thread was full. 

Season three will premiere in October  

And when creator Sam Esmail’s twisty hacker thriller returns in the fall for Season 3, it’ll be with Bobby Cannavale joining the cast and BD Wong as a series regular. Cannavale will play Irving, a laconic, no-nonsense used car salesman. (As for how a used car salesman plays into the the framework of the season, that remains to be seen.)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trailer looks like stuff might happen but I'm wary after season 2. I'd like there to be more focus on the effect of what happened with season 1s hack but I fear the show is too busy being clever for that.

A binge might suit me better after i've had the chance to guage viewers' reactions

I'll watch it, but my enthusiasm for and appreciation of the show took a nosedive after the wheel spinning last season. I really hope we are in Elliot's head much less in season 3.

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'll watch it, but my enthusiasm for and appreciation of the show took a nosedive after the wheel spinning last season. I really hope we are in Elliot's head much less in season 3.

It did feel like the end of the second season was only just start to move things on from the finale of the first. So I agree with the wheel-spinning. I guess we could argue there was character development but I still like a bit of plot with it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2017 at 5:23 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

That new trailer looks spectacular. Can't wait to see how Bobby Canavale's character plays into the DA's plans. 

It does look like we're going to see a lot more fall out from the events of season one which adresses one of the things I was wanting to see.

On 11/03/2017 at 4:02 AM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Good addition. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but I swear if they pull off "what we're seeing is not reality" for the third year in a row, I'll dump this.

Unless of course the financial apocalypse is all in his head.

And of course they'd have to do something interesting to save them keeping swedish psycho as an ambigious alt ego of Elliot. The trailer suggests they are dropping that as well which would be good.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

It does look like we're going to see a lot more fall out from the events of season one which adresses one of the things I was wanting to see.

Unless of course the financial apocalypse is all in his head...

Nah, the hack was real for sure. Too many other scenes about it outside of Elliot's POV point to it being a legit occurrence in the series. The most recent being that S2 finale scene where Trenton and Mobley discuss undoing the hack of ECorp. Buuuuut, we probably should be looking out for something to be a figment of Elliot's imagination...

On 3/10/2017 at 10:02 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Good addition. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but I swear if they pull off "what we're seeing is not reality" for the third year in a row, I'll dump this.

I never thought of that as a throughline for the series, but you're right. S1 Mr. Robot was false and S2 the fact Elliot was in prison was a big reveal. I wasn't really expecting something of that magnitude to end up being false for S3, but I guess I should be. First guess off the top of my head...

Darlene is really dead. She died in the restaurant with Cisco and the whole FBI trying to turn her bit that'll likely play out in S3 will turn out to be Elliot's way of coping with her murder. Again, nothing at all to back this on but why not throw it out there. Maybe I can come back in a few months and say, "I told you so!"

;) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Told myself to just binge this season, but it's easier for me to find an hour a week to watch it than several hours to binge at once.

Not a bad season premiere. Set the stage nicely and transitioned well after last season's finale.

I hope this season is more straightforward than the last. I can handle the Mr. Robot vs. Elliott personalities and their conflict the showrunners have seemingly set up for the season.

No idea what side Angela is on.

Bobby Cannavale is a nice addition.

Huh.

It's interesting that they're going for a literal parallel world thread to actually reset everything, including the deaths of the parents. I like how they're setting it up in the background, but not making it absurdly obvious. I also like how that gets Angela into the mix. 

I'm very curious how they link this to the work Mr. Robot is doing and why. I think they're going to try and make it so that Mr Robot is actually Elliot's father from the other universe, but I still don't see how bringing down ECorp is going to set that merging up. 

I really hope the parallel universe twist only plays in the background as motivation for certain characters. It was bad enough being inside Elliott's head for half of last season. The show is at it's best when it is focusing on hacking and less on metaphysics. I really don't care for a trip down that rabbit hole.

After losing a fair bit of interest in this show following S2 I wasn't expecting much from this episode, and but I came away pleasantly surprised. Some really solid stuff, things actually happened, and the cinematography/blocking was absolutely gorgeous, as always.

Reflecting back on it made me wonder what WR showed Angela that convinced her to get on board. An alternate universe seems like a sound possibility, but frankly that would be a bit too on the nose following the random conversation we overhear in the nuclear facility. So I decided to look at what the internet had to say, and found this gem...

"

Here is what I think:

WR is obsessed with time. Therefore he is obsessed with his own mortality, his time is finite. So his secret project is a transendentalism thing. He didn't discover how to travel through time, he discovered how to make himself immortal by dumping his consciousness into another person. If this is true then Mr. Robot is Elliot's dad living inside Elliot's brain. Maybe there was a nuclear component, he needed 1.21 Gigawatts of power for his system, which made him sick. Maybe upon learning he was sick, WR offered Mr. Robot the chance to live forever. He ported his consciousness into Elliott. Now, what was WR's test for Angela? A weird bunch of questions on some 1980;s computer with a 5 1/4" floppy disk. Angela would not know the answers to the test, but her mother would if she was in a similar situation as Mr. Robot. Offered the chance to live forever and ported into her daughter. The test proved to WR that Angela's mother is still inside her brain, maybe just needs to be awoken. It would also explain why she is into old dudes. It's her mother living sub-consciously through Angela. "

That's.....pretty damn good... It doesn't really address Angela's motivations, or what White Rose showed her, but it certainly adds some possibilites into the mix that i had not thought of prior. Coupled with the time travel references in the show thus far I'm left with no real idea where this story is going,and that's kind of cool. Unless the show goes back to meandering for episodes on end, as it did in S2.  

Well...forget time travel...

"Just as a general question, totally disconnected from Mr. Robot: Do you think season 3 of a television show is too late to introduce the concept of time travel?
[Laughs] The problem with time travel — I’ve always said in the writers’ room that whenever you introduce time travel, it’s game over. Then all of the rules go out the window. Throwing out time travel in the middle of a series run is a little late."

This is a good interview with Esmail about season 3, btw.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/11/mr-robot-trump-time-travel-season-3/

I dug the first episode... I was left appropriately confused... which is to say that there are answers I am seeking, but at least I know some of the questions...

On 10/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, Astromech said:

I really hope the parallel universe twist only plays in the background as motivation for certain characters. It was bad enough being inside Elliott's head for half of last season. The show is at it's best when it is focusing on hacking and less on metaphysics. I really don't care for a trip down that rabbit hole.

I totally agree... if they're talking about these concepts in the abstract, then fine... the same with time travel... but otherwise adding Stephen king-esque science fiction into the story would take this show directly over the shark... I would rather Elliott's recollection of Mr. Robot sharing his consciousness than a time-travel/alternate universe version... it would be so much more plausible. 

Archived