NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

10 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Schefter reporting Pats are trading their second to Carolina for Carolina's third rounder and Kony Ealy. Assuming the third rounder isn't Carolina's compensatory, that's a downgrade of 8 draft spots while getting a former second round draft pick DE. 

I've never seen the Pats this frisky in early free agency. Even in 2007, the Moss trade was at draft time. Belichick must be mellowing. He allowed Cyrus Jones to field a punt in a game after he almost gave away the Ravens game. He's been smiling and joking in public more often. Maybe he's feeling a little looser after creating his seventh horcrux winning his seventh ring.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I've never seen the Pats this frisky in early free agency. Even in 2007, the Moss trade was at draft time. Belichick must be mellowing. He allowed Cyrus Jones to field a punt in a game after he almost gave away the Ravens game. He's been smiling and joking in public more often. Maybe he's feeling a little looser after creating his seventh horcrux winning his seventh ring.

I know Brady keep saying that he wants to play for several more years but I really wonder if B&B are looking at a 1 or 2 year window to win another and so that means the Pats are going all in? It would make sense also to not trade Garappolo since he will get the starting job soon and  the huge contract once Brady retires.

Regardless, that's a great pickup for the Pats and I have to wonder why in the Hell the Panthers did it? Is it another example of Jerry Richardson being a cheapskate?

Holy f***ing ineptitude Batman!

Redskins sign Pryor to a 1 year, 8 million contract.  You may be thinking "Well JS4P, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me," and you are certainly right.  

But we have this f***er to consider.  That's right.  The Browns signed KENNY FRICKIN' BRITT to a 4 year, $33M deal.  But they couldn't beat 1 year, 8 million for Pryor who actually looks like a capable NFL WR.

Browns gonna Brown.

14 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Holy f***ing ineptitude Batman!

Redskins sign Pryor to a 1 year, 8 million contract.  You may be thinking "Well JS4P, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me," and you are certainly right.  

But we have this f***er to consider.  That's right.  The Browns signed KENNY FRICKIN' BRITT to a 4 year, $33M deal.  But they couldn't beat 1 year, 8 million for Pryor who actually looks like a capable NFL WR.

Browns gonna Brown.

The Browns reportedly offered Pryor multiple years at eight per.  However, Pryor wanted more money than that, so he's taking a one year deal to try to prop up his market value next summer.  This isn't rocket science.  If you're taking a one year deal, would you rather have Kirk Cousins throwing you the ball on a team where all the top receivers left in free agency, or would you rather have Cody Kessler throwing you the ball while you're competing with Corey Coleman, Kenny Britt, and possibly a returning Josh Gordon?

Similarly, the Browns are trying to change their culture and likely aren't interested in having a guy in there on a one year deal gunning for individual stats.

Correction, $6M with $2M in incentives.  

Regardless, I think $8M per year is lowballing him. If Desean Jackson commands ~$12M per, I think that's the market Pryor should be getting. He's actually capable of that #1 role and has a lot of room to grow.  Coupled with being (by every report I've seen) a high character guy and I'm willing to spend the money if I need a WR.  Let alone if I'm a team that has oodles of cap space like the Browns. He's a piece, coupled with their line (post acquisitions) that I feel like you really want when developing a QB. 

10 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Correction, $6M with $2M in incentives.  

Regardless, I think $8M per year is lowballing him. If Desean Jackson commands ~$12M per, I think that's the market Pryor should be getting. He's actually capable of that #1 role and has a lot of room to grow.  Coupled with being (by every report I've seen) a high character guy and I'm willing to spend the money if I need a WR.  Let alone if I'm a team that has oodles of cap space like the Browns. He's a piece, coupled with their line (post acquisitions) that I feel like you really want when developing a QB. 

Jackson has years worth of elite level production to justify that contract.  Pryor has one year of good production.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Jackson has years worth of elite level production to justify that contract.  Pryor has one year of good production.

I think his production is a decent bit under elite (only one season 4 years ago over 1200 yards, never had double digit TDs), but he is a damn good deep threat WR2, although he is reaching the age where his biggest asset can suddenly start going down the crapper.  

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Barring the Browns trading for a QB (or drafting one), I'd wager Kessler will be the starting QB in week one.  He was halfway decent last year.  Miles better than Osweiler, at any rate.  And he'll actually have an offensive line to protect him next season, which means he may have a shot of staying healthy. 

Sounds correct. They might as well see what Kessler can offer them. Didn't they use a third rounder on him?

Also, ME, great thread title.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds correct. They might as well see what Kessler can offer them. Didn't they use a third rounder on him?

Yup.  He was a third round pick.  And while I don't know if he's a long-term solution at the position, and I think it's very likely they draft someone they may feel is a long-term solution, he's at least proven to be capable of going out there and not embarrassing himself when he was healthy.  And as I mentioned, they likely feel that their better line this year will be able to keep him healthier than they did last year.

35 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I know Brady keep saying that he wants to play for several more years but I really wonder if B&B are looking at a 1 or 2 year window to win another and so that means the Pats are going all in?

This would make sense with most teams, but the Patriots have won 2 of the last 3 Superb Owls and haven't missed an AFC Championship in 6 years. This not a team that needs drastic actions to be competitive in the short term. I think Darth Hoodie is just being his usual inscrutable self and the consequences will only become apparent next fall.

Chicago is having a huge parade tomorrow to celebrate the exit of Cutler.  I don't know why the theme of the parade is all green, perhaps it's the favorite color of Mike "obvious temporary placeholder" Glennon.  

And Alshon Jeffrey is leaving too so that we can move even earlier in the draft next year. 

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Chicago is having a huge parade tomorrow to celebrate the exit of Cutler.  I don't know why the theme of the parade is all green, perhaps it's the favorite color of Mike "obvious temporary placeholder" Glennon.  

And Alshon Jeffrey is leaving too so that we can move even earlier in the draft next year. 

When reached for comment about this occurrence, Jay Cutler reportedly shrugged and lit a cigarette. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

If the Browns take anyone other than Myles Garrett with the first pick, I'm done.

If Andy Dalton survives playing 2 games a year against you guys with Garrett with the oline we're going to be putting out there it'll be a miracle. 

Archived