NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I really don't understand how the Saints traded Cooks for what they did, when Butler was rumored to be a possible part of the deal. What does Kraft and Belichick have on the Saints owners? This deal should be proof the NFL and all it's owners love the Patriots. :D 

A first round pick- even a late one - is nothing to sneeze at.  I think the Saints did pretty well for a guy they would only have for one more season anyway.  

4 hours ago, Rockroi said:

On second thoughts, save the thoughts and prayers for everyone else...

From the article:

With all that said, these things do not always work out so well.  Free agents don't work out like they should (ie: Adallius Thomas) and players do not gel; there are also injuries which can simply deep-six a season.  

But standing where the pats are right now, as a fan, I am pretty pleased.  

I know I said this to you a lot, but Adalius Thomas was really good in 2007, was pretty good again in 2008 (remember when he sacked Brett Favre for like 50 yards?) before chemistry and locker room issues blew everything up.

He didn't get too many sacks, but that's mostly because he was mostly rotating with Seau and Bruschi on the inside until Colvin got hurt, and spent a lot of his time covering tight ends, or even doing press-coverage again big Wide Receivers.

And don't forget the Super Bowl, where he playing the Giants O-line like a drum, and even had Eli wrapped in his arms on that play, before one of the O-linemen grabbed him from behind and ripped him off.

Just now, Reny of Storms End said:

Whatever the case may be the Pats are exceptionally good at trades. 

Sure.  But that does not mean the other side of the trade does not benefit.  Look at ... ah... okay ... look at Richard Seymour; Pats traded him for a #1 pick and the Raiders proceeded to... never make it anywhere near the playoffs... 

okay... what about the Pats trading a second-round pick for over-the-hill Corey Dillon?  FUCK... Okay bad example...

What about trading for Wes Welker AND Randy Moss?  Huh?  How many Superbowls did the Pats win with those guys?  ZERO!!!!!  

I know... I know... give me a sec okay.... 

Okay, in all seriousness, 2011, Pats trade a fifth round pick for 340 pounds of raw hot-dogs and melted ice cream also known as Albert Haynesworth,  The fat fuck never even made it to the playing field!  YES!!!!  See?  The Pats can suck at trading too!  

BTW in the last hour I have been watching clips from ESPN and You Tube of various people discussing the Cooks trade that ultimately end with somebody saying, "If you are a GM of a NFL team and Bill Belichick calls you, do not pick up the phone; in fact THROW YOUR PHONE OUT A WINDOW AND INTO A FIRE-PIT."

All I can say is that the Saints got a #1 pick for a guy they would have left anyway in ... wait ... he had TWO seasons left on his contract?  I mean, one season and a team option? Wow... Saints were dumb... 

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

All I can say is that the Saints got a #1 pick for a guy they would have left anyway in ... wait ... he had TWO seasons left on his contract?  I mean, one season and a team option? Wow... Saints were dumb... 

I mean, supposedly Cooks was complaining about touches, and it's not as if the Saints lack for firepower.  He wasn't even their best receiver last year.  I'm guessing they saw a chance to flip him for a pick that could address an actual position of need and went for it.  We'll see if Cooks has the same issues in New England, because Brady loves to spread the ball around too.

I honestly think it was a fine trade for both teams.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I mean, supposedly Cooks was complaining about touches, and it's not as if the Saints lack for firepower.  He wasn't even their best receiver last year.  I'm guessing they saw a chance to flip him for a pick that could address an actual position of need and went for it.  We'll see if Cooks has the same issues in New England, because Brady loves to spread the ball around too.

I honestly think it was a fine trade for both teams.

I think it's a lot harder to complain about targets in an organization and culture like that.  Brady/Gronk/Edelman would chew your head off before Belichick could. And that still applies even if you have such an ego you think you know more about winning football games than Tom Brady or Bill Belichick. 

10 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I wonder how much of all this Free Agency activity might have been spurred by the Superb Owl close call. It kind of looks like Hoodie is crafting a defensive rebuild that is designed to stop that sort of team. Even Cooks could be seen as the sort of quick strike threat that would help keep up with that offense.

Despite my Pats hate I would not wish injury on Gronk (or any player for that matter). That said, I would of course love to see someone (anyone) knock off this apparent juggernaut.   

So Mike Reiss, ESPN's beat guy in Boston, thought that Belichick is trying to get bigger corners. Gilmore is kinda tall for a corner, Butler is a peanut. Logan Ryan was a little smaller. Eric Rowe, over whose outstretched arm Julio Jones caught that pass, is a little taller I think. I don't trust him yet, but he seems to be part of their plans.

On the offensive side, the Falcons got good results with clogging up the middle, and the comeback drives relied on outside catches, so Cooks (on paper) works nicely. He can do slants as well as downfield routes, from what I've read. If defensrs have to respect the outside more, then more room inside for Gronk, Edelman, etc.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, Rockroi said:

Okay, in all seriousness, 2011, Pats trade a fifth round pick for 340 pounds of raw hot-dogs and melted ice cream also known as Albert Haynesworth,  The fat fuck never even made it to the playing field!  YES!!!!  See?  The Pats can suck at trading too!  

They also traded a 5th and a 6th for Chad Johnson, who did technically play that year; but didn't exactly accomplish much.

Still, picks that low are nearly worthless, and I can't think of any blockbuster trade fails for Patriots in the Belichick era. If I were a GM I absolutely would not trade with them under any circumstances; unless, maybe, I was with an NFC team that was several years from being having them on the regular season schedule and wasn't close to competing for a Superb Owl. And therefore wouldn't care if the Patriots were getting one over on me; so long as my team was still getting some net benefit.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I absolutely would not trade with them under any circumstances; unless, maybe, I was with an NFC team that was several years from being having them on the regular season schedule and wasn't close to competing for a Superb Owl. And therefore wouldn't care if the Patriots were getting one over on me; so long as my team was still getting some net benefit.

The Bucs made several trades with the Pats under pretty much those exact circumstances.  

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It's too bad the NFL illegally stole those Patriots draft picks over that non existent violation......just sayin.  

Well . . . there's THAT... 

In all seriousness, I can't even muster the energy to complain about that any longer (unless somebody starts in on "Welltheyhavetocheattowin" nonsense then I have to start rebutting dumb assertions).  Ballghazi was so stupid and the Pats STILL managed to win two of the three Superbowls since the story broke.  And that level of success- and if that were all of it - would be more than enough to simply enjoy this embarrassment of riches (even if you do not include the other three franchises in New England who racked up five other titles).  

But you have to fold into it the 3 Superbowls the Pats won the first decade of the century; the stat output, the regular seasons that more-or-less go on cruise control; the wins, the lack of a losing season since 2000; Belichick being generally touted as not just the greatest football coach of all time but some are saying he's the greatest COACH on ANY sport of all time... 

And Tom Brady is now being mentioned not just as the greatest QB of all time, but as the greatest NFL player of all time. And yes, some are asking if he should be compared to Jordan and Gretzky as the greatest pro athlete of all time.  

Deflategate was dumb but it cannot possibly have interfered with my enjoyment of this second dynasty in the larger dynasty.  Five Superbowls in sixteen seasons pretty fucking insane; if Brady's ENTIRE LEGACY were just these last two Superbowls- where he was something like 36-44 376 yards, 3TDs and 0 picks in the 4th quarters and OT - then he would go down as one of the best Superbowl QBs of all time.  But, obviously, he also has those other three which resulted in two other fourth quarter comeback drives (and two more losing Superbowls in the middle there where he ALSO engineered fourth quarter come-from behind drives.... but still lost).  Seven Superbowls, eleven AFC Championship games, blah blah blah blah .... blah... When you wrap all that into it, we may really be looking at the greatest football player ever.

So, yeah, the NFL did some things in response to an allegation of deflated footballs and ... and blah blah blah blah blah ... and the Pats lost picks and it was dumb.  

And in all sincerity ... it doesn't matter.  

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

The Bucs made several trades with the Pats under pretty much those exact circumstances.  

Well . . . there's THAT... 

[snip]

I need whatever is in your coffee. 

Brady as the Professional Athlete-GOAT/NFL-GOAT/QB-GOAT (Goatx3) - love it. This is truly the Rock that Roi'd.

7 hours ago, Rockroi said:

The new story as to what is going o with Butler is that he was not traded to New Orleans because he didn't sign his tender offer.

If this is true then Butler is most likely holding out which is trouble for the whole team.  Stay tuned, as they say.  

It doesn't matter really. I doubt he will hold out. He's not good enough to sit a year and have it not impact him in negotiations. 

The reality is that by signing Gilmore the Patriots signed Butler's replacement if he leaves. Their worst case scenario now is they stay as good as they are now. 

With the 1st rnd tender, these are the likely outcomes. 

a) Someone picks him up for the tender, he loses leverage in negotiations over the draft pick and doesn't get what he wants, the Patriots still have Gilmore who is just as good if not better and they gain a 1st rnd draft pick. 

b ) The Patriots trade him for him, maybe he gets the money he wants, but the Patriots get some type of compensation for him and still have Gilmore who is just as good if not better. 

c) nobody wants to deal for him this year with a draft pick over his head. They get Gilmore and him on the cheap, creating arguably the most stacked secondary in the NFL along with Chung and McCourty and they can allocate resources towards signing Hightower or a RB. 

d) the least likely, he holds out, doesn't play for a year, hurts his negotiation stock, and the Pats still have Gilmore and stay pretty much the same and can use that money to sign talent.

He has no leverage.

Oh boy. I don't know any details other than what's on the article. Sounds innocent enough except that the NFL makes decisions based on how the wind blows.

If he knew her and she was ok with it and was doing it herself so be it. I mean consenting adults are supposed to be just that and should be allowed to be that. 

If he didn't know her and she isn't ok with it then yeah, I have a huge problem with it and 2 games wouldn't be enough IMO. If this was unwanted then to me it's at least 4 games if not 8 plus any criminal charges that could come. I have a daughter and if someone just pulled her top down exposing her I would want vengeance.  

I saw the video. He definitly lifted it up when she wasn't paying attention and she immediately tried to cover it. Like you could see him see the opportunity and look and do it. Wasn't entirely innocent. That said,  they were all partying and she might not have cared.

It's not entirely innocent, but it doesn't look like some major sex crime or anything either. Either way he's a guy who probably shouldn't put himself in a situation like that.

Seems like a "stop embarrassing the league" suspension would be merited here, assuming the best and this woman was okay with it. Obviously if she was not okay with it, more severe punishment + criminal charges would be in order, although I'm guessing she would (and I would in her position in a heartbeat) take a fat cash settlement to go away and shut my mouth.

Archived