NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

16 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

"Now, first-base coach; I could do that job.  Guy gets a hit you stand there and say 'Good hit, way to hit the ball' or 'way to take that walk; nice job.' Now that's a job I could do."  

I love that quote. That sums up my coaching career! good hit, hey, two outs...run fast

50 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I have no idea if he could because Belichick is so immersed in football all the time that that could be all he knows.  But, yeah, he has such an eye for talent; for coach-ability; for what matters in particular match ups etc.  But he also knows he is on solid footing BECAUSE he knows so much about football.  If you put him in a baseball dugout, Belichcik could never say to himself, "Hey, I know this game" the way he does in football, so if he ever had to make a decision he could never fall-back on "No, I know this game as well as you can know it..."  

In fact, Belichcik spoke about this a few years back when asked if he could do another job in sports that was not football related and the discussion got turned to baseball.  (this is a paraphrase of what was said)

"I have no idea how anybody can be a third-base coach," Belichick said.  "I mean, you have one decision to make- whether or not to send a guy home on a ball hit to the outfield - and there are just so many factors to consider that are just so variable  - arm strength, accuracy of the throw, speed of the runner, - and you have to do it all in a split-second.  How can you make that decisioon and do it right so quickly?  I doulc never do that.

"Now, first-base coach; I could do that job.  Guy gets a hit you stand there and say 'Good hit, way to hit the ball' or 'way to take that walk; nice job.' Now that's a job I could do."  

Then again, most coaches in most sports are terrible, so Belichik would likely go above 500 lifetime in any sport.  

i didnt mean coaching other sports, in the gm role. i apologize for the confusion.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

He went 11/5 in 1994, 2 playoff games, 1 win.  There is no reason not to think that he had turned the corner there.  They fell apart the next year because Modell announced he was moving the team. 

It would also not be inaccurate to say that the Baltimore Ravens are the house that Bill built, since the baseline staff and the philosophy was BB's. 

That isn't to say that he was great in Cleveland or that he didn't make mistakes, but this idea that his time in Cleveland was all suck and no sense of the light at the end of the tunnel, to me, is wrong.

Jeff Fisher coached two lame duck teams to 8-8 and 7-9 seasons so I find it hard to give Belichick a pass on that. Both were below .500 the year before in typical Fisher fashion, not an 11-5 playoff team that crumpled. I'd give more credit to him if the team was good upon it's move to Baltimore, but they were .500 or below the next four seasons as well. I've got no problem saying BB is the best coach and probably the best GM in NFL history, but his time in Cleveland was not good at all.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Ah the good old days. His Thanksgiving Day game in his rookie season was unreal. I'm sure Cowboys fans still have nightmares from it.

The ultimate cheat code in Madden was the FB pass. 8 yards every time. 

Sweep toss was pretty broken too. Wouldn't always work, but when it did, you got a TD.

Spider 2 Y-Banana all day. Play action to Joseph Addai, Marvin going deep, Dallas running corner, Utecht to the flat out of the backfield. Reggie fucking off on a curl on the other side of the field. 

Read:

Cover 2 zone- Safety bails deep on Harrison, read speed vs Marvin, Dallas open. 

Cover 2 man- Safety bails deep on Harrison, check to Dallas. If defense aligned in base or nickle, Dallas on hard pass, if dime why didn't I check to run/ touch pass to Dallas. 

Cover 3 zone- Read CB speed vs Marvin, if CB in press coverage soft pass to Marvin (vs Rashean Mathis check down!). Dallas open. If short to gain, dump to Utecht (never drops). Scramble with Peyton for humiliation factor.

Man blitz- Read CB speed vs Marvin/press, base or nickle hard pass to Dallas touch if quarters.

It was unfair. And Peyton's QB vision covered the entire fucking field.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:22 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, strength of schedule should factor in, but points allowed is a rubber meets the road sort of stat over the course of a season. If you gave up the fewest points in the league, you're arguably the best defense, or at least among the best. If DVOA says the Pats were a middle of the road defense last year, then DVOA is crap in that particular instance. I'm not saying this was one of the great all-time defenses (it clearly wasn't), but it was at the very least one of the best defenses last season.

They held the Falcons to 21 points scored. I think they were really strong last year.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:35 PM, lancerman said:

If I'm starting a team from scratch I take Brady. He has the best of both their qualities plus the winning. And to be honest, one game for my life, I really can't go with anybody else besides him or Montana.

One game for my life? Tim Tebow. All he does is win!!!!

2 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

Wonder if anybody is making a go at Browns tackle Joe Thomas. Dude is a future hof'r who still can play at a high level.. Dont know what it would take to get him, but id give a first for sure. Giants could use him.

I doubt they trade him.  He wants to be in Cleveland, is a great locker room guy, and has undoubtedly helped lure free agents there this year.

4 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

Doesnt want to leave Clevland, bless him.

I mean, this is a guy who skipped the NFL draft to go fishing with his dad.  He's a perfect fit for a blue collar city like Cleveland, and he's probably the most beloved athlete there not named LeBron James.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I mean, this is a guy who skipped the NFL draft to go fishing with his dad.  He's a perfect fit for a blue collar city like Cleveland, and he's probably the most beloved athlete there not named LeBron James.

i forgot that story about the draft. i give him credit. hope he gets a shot at the playoffs before he retires.

Just now, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

i forgot that story about the draft. i give him credit. hope he gets a shot at the playoffs before he retires.

Well, I am reasonably hopeful that the current front office knows what the fuck they are doing.  They seem to be doing a pretty good job so far.  The offensive line has seen a significant upgrade, and they were obviously able to trade for Collins and lock him down without him testing free agency, so that's a positive as well.  They'll almost certainly be adding Myles Garrett, who is the best defensive prospect in years, and have a bunch of other high picks to add talent as well.  I also like Hue Jackson a lot and am glad they didn't overreact to a bad season and fire him after one year.  You need consistency to succeed in the NFL, and the main problem the Browns have had is that they've kept turning everything over every three years or so, which never gave any front office or coaching staff time to build anything. 

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Cleveland's the ultimate spot for fish lovers. You can pull them from the lake already cooked.

On an interesting note, Breer reckons that over 85% of the 155 FA deals, signed so far this year are essentially 1-year contracts.

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, I am reasonably hopeful that the current front office knows what the fuck they are doing.  They seem to be doing a pretty good job so far.  The offensive line has seen a significant upgrade, and they were obviously able to trade for Collins and lock him down without him testing free agency, so that's a positive as well.  They'll almost certainly be adding Myles Garrett, who is the best defensive prospect in years, and have a bunch of other high picks to add talent as well.  I also like Hue Jackson a lot and am glad they didn't overreact to a bad season and fire him after one year.  You need consistency to succeed in the NFL, and the main problem the Browns have had is that they've kept turning everything over every three years or so, which never gave any front office or coaching staff time to build anything. 

Thats the thing, sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better. a lot of coaches get fired because owners/gms jump the gun to fast. in some cases, its warrented. the one that jumps out at my is Dungy in Tampa.

5 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

As the Trojans begin to get routed by Baylor I would like to go on the record as saying that Derek Barnett is the best player in this draft.

I don't see it.  I don't think he's a top 20 NFL prospect in this draft.  He's a good football player and I certainly would love for the Cowboys to be able to land him, but I don't think he's athletic enough to reach the same levels as some of the other DEs in this stacked class can reach.  He's a good technician, and I think he has a relatively high floor, but his ceiling isn't anywhere near as high as the other round 1 caliber DEs. 

Archived