NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

1. It's a dangerous thing to draw a line between the Patriots' willingness to bend gameplay rules and the alleged moral turpitude of their players. One does not follow from the other. You have not presented much strong evidence of the Patriots being the kind of team that goes for violent or despicable people. You have to stretch to find character risk players. I mean, LeGarrette Blount? He stomped a dude's head in college, and yes, that is bad. But he wasn't drafted by the Patriots, he came on as a short-money free agent and even got let go once. He's kept a clean nose since (no, I don't regard smoking weed in a car as something really awful, and it hilariously got Le'veon Bell suspended for one game more than Blount got). Come bitch at me when the Patriots bring on guys like Greg Hardy or Junior Galette or Joey Porter. Or a goddamn wife-beating kicker. The Patriots aren't angels, but they're not the 70s Raiders or 90s Cowboys either.

2. There has been a lot of speculation, perhaps even certainty, that the Patriots will get back into the first or second round this year by trading Handsome Jimmy or Malcolm Butler. So no, it's not outlandishly out of the question for the Patriots to be in position to draft Mixon. And even if they don't pick higher than 72 -- so they're not supposed to have ratings and evaluations on presumed first-round players? Presumed first-round players never slip down? This is a weak-ass point and the fact that you decided to make this the crux of your dogshit complaint says a lot about how much of a bug you have up your ass about this team.

3. The innocuous explanation is that someone asked a Patriots official a question about Mixon and the answer got turned into a story. This tends to happen this time of year because it's the long dull stretch between the first rush of free agency and the draft, and because there were league meetings where a bunch of team officials were hanging out with media people and they generate dumb little stories like this just by their proximity. Other Patriots-related stories that came out around the same time: "Robert Kraft would like to keep Malcolm Butler" and "AFC coaches say nice things about the Patriots' offseason moves." These are all nothing stories, but the giant sports commentary industry needs to keep fresh material churning, so a Herald story gets bubbled up to ESPN and numpties with an axe to grind take notice.

4. Even the most cynical explanation, that the Patriots sneakily leaked this story into the local press, is a nothing story. Literally every NFL team plants friendly stories. You are bitching at the Patriots for playing PR. I mean, do you even NFL, bro?

5. I noticed the Mixon story before this, and shrugged. I think it's good that they won't draft him, fine -- though I sorta think people deserve second chances. But I didn't feel the need to come here and post about it, because I knew only a tedious toolbag would think this story is worth noting one way or the other.

6. The best part of this is that you tried to suggest I'd get some moral satisfaction about this. I think I have been pretty open about my moral conflicts supporting the Patriots and watching the NFL in general. So what the fuck? There are teams I do look down on for being particularly depraved -- the Ravens for the Ray Rice coverup and their glorification of Ray Lewis, and the Giants for Mara's appalling hypocrisy about their goddamn kicker. But I have never been one to claim my team is more virtuous than others. Only assholes and idiots think there's a moral high ground in the NFL (beyond "don't employ vicious, unrepentant criminals"). Let me know where you're coming from.

Well, if anything, I have managed to bring the Rockroi out of you, so this was not for naught.

The Patriots are no better or no worse than any other NFL team when it comes to taking on scumbag players. Every single franchise in the league is winning first, and if your talent outweighs your character flaws by a large enough amount, they will sign you up. I just think this one is funny in particular, because they have no shot at drafting him. Your theoretical trade scenarios aren't particularly relevant, because most importantly they aren't going to happen; no one is paying a first rounder for Butler, and the Pats aren't trading Jimmy. This was complete nonsense, an attempt to pick low hanging PR fruit. I mean, the most preposterous suggestion of all is that Bill Belichick would give up legitimate information about what he was planning to do wiith his draft picks.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Even the most cynical explanation, that the Patriots sneakily leaked this story into the local press, is a nothing story. 

But I have never been one to claim my team is more virtuous than others. 

10 minutes ago, sperry said:

The Patriots are no better or no worse than any other NFL team when it comes to taking on scumbag players.

This was complete nonsense, an attempt to pick low hanging PR fruit. 

Glad we settled that then. Why are we here again? Because you can't help yourself from whining about Belichick, even with a complete nothing story? Never stop reveling in your inner sperry.

35 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Glad we settled that then. Why are we here again? Because you can't help yourself from whining about Belichick, even with a complete nothing story? Never stop reveling in your inner sperry.

To be fair, we do know that Bill Belichick owns a car that runs on puppy blood.

16 hours ago, sperry said:

To make it more staggering, your valuations are way too low. Minimum franchise values are >$2billion.

Yep, the article I was reading was old! Damn you google search giving old articles at the top!

It's amazing how a non substantiated article can spur so much emotion. Funny thing is that not much at all was said when the Dolphins said he is off their board.

From what I remember reading Kraft is the one who has a stance against men who harm women, so it would make sense that he would have him removed from consideration. Similar whispers are going on around Detroit also. Quinn initially stated he thought it was wrong that Mixon wasn't at the combine and such, but since then he won't say much about him. The Lions have generally stayed away from known off the field issues, the Ford family seems to be the ones behind it. Talent wise he is exactly what Detroit needs, so time will tell.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

It's amazing how a non substantiated article can spur so much emotion. Funny thing is that not much at all was said when the Dolphins said he is off their board.

From what I remember reading Kraft is the one who has a stance against men who harm women, so it would make sense that he would have him removed from consideration. Similar whispers are going on around Detroit also. Quinn initially stated he thought it was wrong that Mixon wasn't at the combine and such, but since then he won't say much about him. The Lions have generally stayed away from known off the field issues, the Ford family seems to be the ones behind it. Talent wise he is exactly what Detroit needs, so time will tell.

Because the Dolphins could actually draft him. So taking him off their board is actually taking a stand on something.

As for spurring emotion, it's not. I enjoy ripping on the Patriots when they do something douchey, and also enjoy the reaction from their fans on this board when they're called out on it.

41 minutes ago, sperry said:

Because the Dolphins could actually draft him. So taking him off their board is actually taking a stand on something.

As for spurring emotion, it's not. I enjoy ripping on the Patriots when they do something douchey, and also enjoy the reaction from their fans on this board when they're called out on it.

I guess you gotta get some satisfaction out of football, since Sam Bradford is, well, still Sam Bradford.

30 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That's a damn lie. The puppy blood is for Brady's longevity treatments.

So is that the new code word for steroids in NE these days?

28 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I guess you gotta get some satisfaction out of football, since Sam Bradford is, well, still Sam Bradford.

Jokes aside, he actually played very well this year, all things considered. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is that the new code word for steroids in NE these days? 

You have to admit it rolls off the tongue better than "deer antler spray" or "German blood platelet treatment" or "that package was meant for Ashley Manning."

40 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

You have to admit it rolls off the tongue better than "deer antler spray" or "German blood platelet treatment" or "that package was meant for Ashley Manning."

Personally I prefer LeBron's "Miami Sunshine."

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I miss the old days of the cream and the clear.

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Looks like Skins and Cousins will eventually get a long term deal done. Though, Skins have no problem franchising him again next year, paying him 34.5 million. 

??  Has something happened to indicate a long term deal is approaching?

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Redskins want 'long-term marriage' with Cousins, open to 3rd franchise tag
http://www.thescore.com/news/1266117
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

It takes 2 to Tango though, and it seems like the bridge was burned, with the ashes used for soap and the debris ground into fine pieces for road base.  Maybe they're working on rebuilding it, but Cousins didn't seem to be on board. 

2 hours ago, sperry said:

I'm pretty sure a fat long term contract with the guaranteed money Kirkey wants will cure things in a hurry.

Yes, and that's why their inclined to franchise him again and give him 34.5 mil. He'll never get that yearly in a contract, methinks. I guess a sort of reward for dealing with the front offices indecision.

Archived