NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, zelticgar said:

He won an award for "most courageous". Not the same as "best teammate". His actions on the sidelines and with the press do not point to someone who is "all about football". 

This is a silly take. Pro athletes are supposed to spend a ton of time doing charity and civic work. Even famously laser-focused psychotically-overprepared guys like JJ Watt and Tom Brady have big off-field commitments. If he was doing charity golf tournaments, no one would have a problem with it. But he chose a cause that hurts the feelings of mediocre white people, so he's a pariah. 

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is a silly take. Pro athletes are supposed to spend a ton of time doing charity and civic work. Even famously laser-focused psychotically-overprepared guys like JJ Watt and Tom Brady have big off-field commitments. If he was doing charity golf tournaments, no one would have a problem with it. But he chose a cause that hurts the feelings of mediocre white people, so he's a pariah. 

Good point - here is a list of players who are the most notorious for not being "all about football". This list is only the league-wide winner too - it doesn't even mention the nominees for each team for "most distracted" of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Payton_NFL_Man_of_the_Year_Award

I guess I had a different view on what a leader and someone with character was. To me a leader is willing to stand up for what is right even when it isn't popular to do so. To me he is being vilified because his cause is a "black" cause and his stance is taken when at a point that many Americans (of all races) consider sacred, the national anthem.

Did everyone have this same feeling about Jim McMahon when he was protesting by wearing banned items during games? Was he focused less on the game because his headband was a protest symbol? Funny thing is I remember that being treated entirely differently, it was all fun and games by the media and fans. Why?

Joe Namath was all about promoting Joe when he was playing, he was self promoting, doing advertising in womens hosiery etc, but was he "all about football"? Was he not a good teammate because of it?

I am not well versed on Colin, but I don't remember ever hearing of him being violent, an addict, having 10 children with 8 women, failing to pay his debts, killing dogs for fun etc.. and yet he is seemingly being treated the same as those people just because of a 3 minute long protest before games, where BTW he simply kneels. He isn't laughing and mocking anyone, he is politely kneeling.

I would rather have him as the back up in Dallas than who we have.

4 minutes ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

how could they replace Simms with Romo, who has never broadcasted in his life. For CBS to replace Simms, something behind the scenes had to have happened.

Simms sucking toxic fumes from diseased alpaca ass for damn near 2 decades now? They could've replaced him with ALF and it would've been an improvement. And ALF is fucking dead.

40 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I would rather have him as the back up in Dallas than who we have.

While I wouldn't because it wouldn't work financially, and run into the risk of sperry ripping on me for making a point when I can't possibly have him, I'd be estatic with him as a backup.  With Romo retiring, it's him and Cutler for who is the best QB to hire to win now IMO.  Between those two, give me Kaep.  Even if he's not the 2012 iteration, him hitting a hot streak in the playoffs is probably the Texans or Broncos best chance. 

Don't think the Texans will bite though.  Can't imagine they want to alienate half their fanbase. 

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Have to add Mediocre to the text on this one when I get home from work...

Love%20Them%20Khakis_zps0gb1w5kj.jpg

Pleats for days.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Have to add Mediocre to the text on this one when I get home from work...

Love%20Them%20Khakis_zps0gb1w5kj.jpg

Ye gods, someone figured out how to to spin 7-9 bullshit into fabric!

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Simms sucking toxic fumes from diseased alpaca ass for damn near 2 decades now? They could've replaced him with ALF and it would've been an improvement. And ALF is fucking dead.

I'll be the last person to mourn the end of Phil Simms cornholing my TV, but it is a little weird that Romo is vaulting into the number one team right from the start. Dan Fouts must be pissed.

Fouts is 65, they've got to be putting him out to pasture soon as well. I'm surprised they don't push these color guys out a little sooner.  Half of their viewing audience, and the most valuable part of that audience, were small children at the oldest when Dan Fouts last played in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I've never seen Collinsworth play either, but I like him as an announcer.

Collinsworth is also probably the best TV color announcer in at least two decades, probably longer, so not exactly a representative example. I'd rather cycle new talent in and get fresh perspectives on guys who have played recently. Football is barely the same game as when Fouts and Simms were playing, yet those guys have been holding down spots in the booth for 25 years blocking new entrants.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Collinsworth is also probably the best TV color announcer in at least two decades, probably longer, so not exactly a representative example. I'd rather cycle new talent in and get fresh perspectives on guys who have played recently. Football is barely the same game as when Fouts and Simms were playing, yet those guys have been holding down spots in the booth for 25 years blocking new entrants.

That's a fair point.

As for the Texans, they'll probably have to go after Cutler. The owner is a Trump supporter, and the city's diversity aside, the fanbase is pretty stereotypical Texan. More Katy and Montgomery than Sugarland or Stafford. So Kaep's out of the picture.

Garappolo is a bit of the a catch. If the Patriots are willing to trade the guy to the Texans, then the guy's probably not that good, which means the Texans shouldn't trade for him.

1 minute ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

That's a fair point.

As for the Texans, they'll probably have to go after Cutler. The owner is a Trump supporter, and the city's diversity aside, the fanbase is pretty stereotypical Texan. More Katy and Montgomery than Sugarland or Stafford. So Kaep's out of the picture.

Garappolo is a bit of the a catch. If the Patriots are willing to trade the guy to the Texans, then the guy's probably not that good, which means the Texans shouldn't trade for him.

While I am dubious about Jimmy G's potential as a franchise quarterback, I think the Patriots probably have to trade him this year. Unless they know for a fact that Brady is out after 2 more years or something, they can't afford to pay Jimmy what he's going to get on the market when he's an RFA next year. Paying two QBs, even with Brady's reduced salary demands would undermine everything they're doing re: value on players.

Archived