Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyrion the Targaryen

Ned Stark's Ice is Lightbringer

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Undoubtably.

Let it be known that because of GRRM's take on prophecies, there is flexibility in interpretation.

Lightbringer, a fiery red sword.  The theme among the entire series is, of course, Ice and Fire.  Ice is Ned Stark's Valyrian steel sword and is the first cover of the first book of the A Song of Ice and Fire series: Game of Thrones. I also think that Gendry is going to be the one who reforges it.  More on that later. 

To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke.

King Joffrey's first sword was thrown into a river by Arya Stark.

He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered.

Second sword Joffrey had lost was named Hearteater. It was lost at the Battle of Blackwater, the same battle Tyrion had almost lost his life to Ser Mandon Moore.

In ASoS, Tyrion said of Mandon Moore:

"I knew Ser Mandon died in the battle."  *Shoved into the river by Pod, half a heartbeat before the treacherous bastard could drive his sword through my heart*.

Tyrion's description of Widow's Wail:

Most Valyrian steel was a grey so dark it looked almost black, as was true here as well. But blended into the folds was a red so deep as the grey. The two colors lapped over one another without ever touching, each ripple distinct, like waves of night and blood upon some steely shore.[1]

Continuing the Lightbringer prophecy:

The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon

Now, in ACoK it is revealed that Ser Ilyn Payne never washed Ned Stark's blood off of Ice.  Ice was then broken down into two swords: Widow's wail for Joffrey and Oathkeeper for Jaime.  Widow's wail fits appropriately because of Catelyn Stark's morning for Ned Stark's death and the shattering of her family.  It also fits Cersei as well, but that is for another post. Oathkeeper was given to Brienne of Tarthe.  I think all the alive Stark siblings will get together again sometime in the books, thus fulfilling Brienne of Tarth's oath to Catelyn.

I said that Gendry would be the one to reforge the two swords into Light Bringer.  His last whereabouts was rowing to King's Landing, the location of metal worker who was able to temper Ice down the two swords is. (Or maybe, after killing Cersei, that is when they will remake the sword).  In the first chapter in ACoK, after the comet prologue, Gendry comments how the comment looks like a Red Sword. Later in ACoK, Catelyn is praying to the seven and when she turns to the Smith, her description of it is:

Lost and weary, Catelyn Stark gave herself over to the gods.  She knelt before the Smith, who fixed things that were broken.

One who fixes things that were broken.  The Stark family.  Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail.  Though, the reason why I draw this conclusion from this passage is because Catelyn describes the Stranger in a way that resembles Arya as well as Cersei and the Mother.

The person who melted Ice down into Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail is Gendry's master.  The last time we see Gendry in the TV series, he is heading back to King's Landing. I don't know what happened in the books, but Gendry or his master will be the one to reforge the two Valyrian swords, Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail, back into Lightbringer after Brienne has brought the Stark sibblings back together.  In Jaime's dream:

The fever dreams were all so vivid...

“Stay with me,” Jaime pleaded. “Don’t leave me here alone.” But they were leaving. “Don’t leave me in the dark!” Something terrible lived down here. “Give me a sword, at least.”

“I gave you a sword,” Lord Tywin said.

It was at his feet. Jaime groped under the water until his hand closed upon the hilt. Nothing can hurt me so long as I have a sword. As he raised the sword a finger of pale flame flickered at the point and crept up along the edge, stopping a hand’s breath from the hilt. The fire took on the color of the steel itself so it burned with a silvery-blue light, and the gloom pulled back. Crouching, listening, Jaime moved in a circle, ready for anything that might come out of the darkness. The water flowed into his boots, ankle deep and bitterly cold. Beware the water, he told himself. There may be creatures living in it, hidden deeps...

From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound... but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. “I swore to keep you safe,” the wench said stubbornly. “I swore an oath.” Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. “Ser. Please. If you would be so good.”

The steel links parted like silk. “A sword,” Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. in this light she could almost be a knight. Brienne’s sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.

“The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”

Both swords are aflame. Meaning that it will become Lightbringer.

Edited by Tyrion the Targaryen

That was a very interesting theory to read.

I think that it is within the realm of possibility.