DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME IS AWESOME! 2017 Edition

Ded As Ned

Meh.  I'm never as excited about an extra hour of sunlight in the spring as I am about the extra hour of sleep I get in the fall.  

Still though, its pretty cool that Science! has figured out how to make a day last longer.    

7 hours ago, The Mance said:

Meh.  I'm never as excited about an extra hour of sunlight in the spring as I am about the extra hour of sleep I get in the fall.  

Still though, its pretty cool that Science! has figured out how to make a day last longer.    

But... it's Sunday. You already can basically sleep as long as you want. Whereas, the extra hour of sunlight affects every day for half a year (as does the lack of sunlight going in the other direction). If DST happened on a work day, then I'd totally be on the same page here

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Not in the UK for another couple weeks ; thank God it's gonna be a Sunday night and I don't work Mondays 

It happens on Sunday morning, not Sunday night

14 hours ago, The Mance said:

For the last three years, I've worked overnight on the fall time change.  That extra hour is hell. This is also the first year I haven't had to work the daylight shift for spring.  There is nothing redeeming about DST.   

Well, having worked outdoors in the building trades most of my life, I can at least appreciate how the time shifts make better use of daylight hours and warmer/colder times of the day.  Especially in the winter when I was grateful that the sun is at least up by the time I got to the jobsite.  Though, winter hours being standard time, that wouldn't change if we nixed dst.  In the summer, though, it meant starting earlier into the cool of the morning, and then working through less of the hottest part of the afternoon.

Riboflavin'd up and ready for the mysterious, mystical, day that is the first Monday of DST!  EMBRACE THE SUNLIGHT!!! FEEL IT'S WARMTH ON YOUR SKIN!  Grilling out, late evening yard work, and basketball games in the driveway after work.  DST ROCKS!!!!  WELCOME TO THE FUTURE MY FRIENDS! :D 

5 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

As I work night shift, i absolutely love DST. It's light when I get to work, when I'm off I get extra time with the kids to play. Very, very depressing driving to work in the Winter, it's dark before I leave my house.

An excellent argument for moving shifts back an hour. Not for DST.

7 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

An excellent argument for moving shifts back an hour. Not for DST.

Yea, we've begged, pleaded and anything else you could think of. They will not change shift. We've had company votes that 90% wanted to take back the shift a hour, maybe 2....Big Dogs still wouldn't do it. Not much of a democracy, huh?

Archived