TTTNE 469- A New Order of Imperial entanglement

Jen'ari

6 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Somebody here recommended I start watching Black Mirror. Whoever it was, step forward. What on God's earth am I watching? :eek: 

I watch all sorts of weird shit, but man, that was some interesting first two minutes. 

I wish I hadn't run out of Jane the Virgin so soon... :eek: 

holy mother, seriously who told me to watch this? 

:P

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Somebody here recommended I start watching Black Mirror. Whoever it was, step forward. What on God's earth am I watching? :eek: 

I watch all sorts of weird shit, but man, that was some interesting first two minutes. 

I wish I hadn't run out of Jane the Virgin so soon... :eek: 

holy mother, seriously who told me to watch this? 

Which episode did you watch? The one with the British PM? 

It's an anthology show, so you can pick and choose which ones to watch. If you don't like one episode don't give it up straight away, as some episodes have a totally different feel to others. If you want specific recommendations for the "lighter"* episodes I recommend Season 3; Nosedive and San Junipero. 15 million merits is in the first season and is lighter in tone, I guess. 

*note that while I say lighter tone, most if not all episodes have some serious social commentary and unsettling themes if you delve deeper, even if the tone is more fun overall

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It's an anthology show, so you can pick and choose which ones to watch. If you don't like one episode don't give it up straight away, as some episodes have a totally different feel to others. If you want specific recommendations for the "lighter"* episodes I recommend Season 3; Nosedive and San Junipero. 15 million merits is in the first season and is lighter in tone, I guess. 

*note that while I say lighter tone, most if not all episodes have some serious social commentary and unsettling themes if you delve deeper, even if the tone is more fun overall

Yeah that was the one I meant. 

I watched the first 4 episodes, I think. I liked the memory app thing. The fifteen mill was kinda boring and had a pretty disappointing ending. The dead lover one was boring and too sci-fi. The PM one was so sick. The second one was the right kind of disturbing and felt closest to real life. I liked that. It's a very creepy show. Might watch a couple other ones when I feel like watching something serious. 

47 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Turns out they weren't so far off the mark with the PM thing too.

4 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Turns out they weren't so far off the mark with the PM thing too.

Yeah that's my favourite bit :D I remember reading the papers and thinking, huh, Black Mirror predicts the future!

Nosedive is a pretty good one if you like ones that feel close to real life. It introduces new tech and over-exaggerates stuff, as the show does, but it's not really Such an extreme/unbelievable concept as other episodes.

Shut Up and Dance, as far as I noticed, doesn't utilise any technology or ideas that don't exist already. It's also pretty damn disturbing.

18 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah that was the one I meant. 

I watched the first 4 episodes, I think. I liked the memory app thing. The fifteen mill was kinda boring and had a pretty disappointing ending. The dead lover one was boring and too sci-fi. The PM one was so sick. The second one was the right kind of disturbing and felt closest to real life. I liked that. It's a very creepy show. Might watch a couple other ones when I feel like watching something serious. 

Fifteen Million Merits was the opposite for me, it's the episode that hooked me. I was completely engrossed in it, and I thought the endng was pitch-perfect, because it was disappointing.

Besides what Helena mentioned, be sure to watch San Junipero and White Christmas.

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah that's my favourite bit :D I remember reading the papers and thinking, huh, Black Mirror predicts the future!

Nosedive is a pretty good one if you like ones that feel close to real life. It introduces new tech and over-exaggerates stuff, as the show does, but it's not really Such an extreme/unbelievable concept as other episodes.

Shut Up and Dance, as far as I noticed, doesn't utilise any technology or ideas that don't exist already. It's also pretty damn disturbing.

They're two of my favorite episodes, but yeah, Shut Up and Dance is probably the most 'normal' episode and at the same time possibly the most fucked up.

25 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Fifteen Million Merits was the opposite for me, it's the episode that hooked me. I was completely engrossed in it, and I thought the endng was pitch-perfect, because it was disappointing.

Besides what Helena mentioned, be sure to watch San Junipero and White Christmas.

They're two of my favorite episodes, but yeah, Shut Up and Dance is probably the most 'normal' episode and at the same time possibly the most fucked up.

I was a little ambivalent about the end. It was pretty deep that the guy gave up his idealistic ideas to get off the bike like everybody else, but it felt weirdly out of character. I was kinda expecting him to try and kill the judges and die in the attempt or commit suicide when he failed or something. 

I'll watch the ones you and Helena suggested. 

36 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

OOOOOOOOH HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

I was a little ambivalent about the end. It was pretty deep that the guy gave up his idealistic ideas to get off the bike like everybody else, but it felt weirdly out of character. I was kinda expecting him to try and kill the judges and die in the attempt or commit suicide when he failed or something. 

I'll watch the ones you and Helena suggested. 

I was expecting him to do the same, I think the fact that we expected him to be better when he wasn't was the intent.

Nice, I'm glad to see my recommendation wasn't completely wasted on you after all :P 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

OOOOOOOOH HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH

OOOH BABY, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT'S WORTH

32 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I was expecting him to do the same, I think the fact that we expected him to be better when he wasn't was the intent.

Nice, I'm glad to see my recommendation wasn't completely wasted on you after all :P 

You're probably right about that. 

No, no, it wasn't. *puppy eyes* 

A hundred euros, but my hair is dark and not tiger striped. Thank the gods old and new. 

Wait, what happened to the ... bala ... baya ... whatever that word was again?

31 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Wait, what happened to the ... bala ... baya ... whatever that word was again?

I didn't like it. Apparently my hair has a lot of red tones, so it didn't look nice and ashy blond, more like a coppery color and I hated that. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

So you're now evil?, welcome :P.

Yup, I've returned to the dark side. 

A hundred euros, but my hair is dark and not tiger striped. Thank the gods old and new. 

I went to one particular hairdresser for years because she cut my hair beautifully. She told me I had 8 different cowlicks in my hair, which would explain why other hairdressers had such problems doing a nice cut. And when it gets longer past my ears  it gets a wave in it. Bah, lol! In addition, she did fantastic colouring.

100 euros is currently $144 Cdn. Once her haircut and colour hit $180, and you are expected to tip on top of that, making my visits $200 when I was getting colour, I had to give her up. I just could not justify spending that kind of money on my hair. That was about 10 years ago. I assume her charge is $250 or more by now, but she priced herself out of the market with a lot of her customers.

I found a shop in a mall where a haircut started at $30 but started to creep up, cut and colour at the end being about $150, about 105 euros. The two years ago, a few days before Christmas, I went to an appointment I had booked 6 weeks before ("I get busy, you need to book"). She told me she was a little behind when I got there. Fine. I thought she was just finishing with her customer, but after a while I saw she was just starting. I waited an hour, and finally got so p'd off I left and never came back to her again. It takes a lot of nerve to book someone 6 weeks in advance and then take someone in your slot and not be honest enough to come clean with a good, loyal customer. I could have understood if she had explained what happened. When I'm loyal to someone, there is nothing worse than disloyalty in return. I tipped well, I brought her coffee, I changed appointments if something came up in her life and she needed me to switch days.

Now that I'm a lot older, I found a Portuguese-run hair salon with no fancy décor that charges me $30 for a nice haircut, 20.75 euros. and about twice as much for cut and colour, though the colour is ordinary. I can live with that. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I went to one particular hairdresser for years because she cut my hair beautifully. She told me I had 8 different cowlicks in my hair, which would explain why other hairdressers had such problems doing a nice cut. And when it gets longer past my ears  it gets a wave in it. Bah, lol! In addition, she did fantastic colouring.

100 euros is currently $144 Cdn. Once her haircut and colour hit $180, and you are expected to tip on top of that, making my visits $200 when I was getting colour, I had to give her up. I just could not justify spending that kind of money on my hair. That was about 10 years ago. I assume her charge is $250 or more by now, but she priced herself out of the market with a lot of her customers.

I found a shop in a mall where a haircut started at $30 but started to creep up, cut and colour at the end being about $150, about 105 euros. The two years ago, a few days before Christmas, I went to an appointment I had booked 6 weeks before ("I get busy, you need to book"). She told me she was a little behind when I got there. Fine. I thought she was just finishing with her customer, but after a while I saw she was just starting. I waited an hour, and finally got so p'd off I left and never came back to her again. It takes a lot of nerve to book someone 6 weeks in advance and then take someone in your slot and not be honest enough to come clean with a good, loyal customer. I could have understood if she had explained what happened. When I'm loyal to someone, there is nothing worse than disloyalty in return. I tipped well, I brought her coffee, I changed appointments if something came up in her life and she needed me to switch days.

Now that I'm a lot older, I found a Portuguese-run hair salon with no fancy décor that charges me $30 for a nice haircut, 20.75 euros. and about twice as much for cut and colour, though the colour is ordinary. I can live with that. 

In my hometown my mom gets her hair colored for *drumrolls* 12 euros. She has short hair though. But yes. 12 euros. Down the rabbit hole, through the iron curtain. Once you hit the city though, prices go up. A mid-range cut and color for my hair was 30 euros when I moved here 5 years ago. A mid-range cut and color for my hair is now 50ish euros. Any hair styling (including color of course) above 20000 (which is like... uhh.. 70ish euros) is considered expensive here, which is only right as the average monthly salary is still net 500ish euros. Of course this is the inner city, go a couple districts outwards and you can probably get a cut and color for 30euros... 

And we don't tip hairdressers here. At least I never heard of such before. 

And facials are the other beautiful thing... in my hometown I could get a facial and waxing for 15 euros. Here I pay €30-40 for the facial and €15 for just a bikin wax. And I guess those are pretty cheap by western standards too. The world is weird. 

Tipping is a way of life here.  Some people don't tip, there are always jerks. But I saw many restaurants in Europe add a service charge, for example, to a bill. It is weird not to tip when in Europe.

Facials and other beauty items are far, far more expensive in a big city like the one I live in. I won't frighten you by telling you what I pay for a manicure and pedicure. :lol: 

Ok...a facial at the salon I go to will be $100 to $145, or up to 100 euros.

I have never in my life made an appointment at the hairdresser's. I walk past, if they have time, great, if not, I will come some other time.

The last time or two I had my hair cut, my aunt did it anyway.

And I would nevervgive that much money for a haircut. My hair is not that important.

I suppose there is a reason I have had the same hairstlye for the past 10 years or more.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Tipping is a way of life here.  Some people don't tip, there are always jerks. But I saw many restaurants in Europe add a service charge, for example, to a bill. It is weird not to tip when in Europe.

I think they mostly do that only in Italy. It is definitely not the norm in Slovenia or Austria.

And ummm ... what is a "facial"? :idea: 

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

And ummm ... what is a "facial"? :idea: 

Lol, something you won't need for a few decades, you have lovely skin!

There are all kinds of facials, but essentially they are treatments for your face, to cleanse your skin and then add moisture by using creams or lotions or oils. Typically, your face will first be cleaned by some method/s, which could include steam, hot towels, exfoliation. a mask of some kind (mud or a thin liquid which dries on your face and then is peeled off), and may include extraction, where the aesthetician will extract blackheads and whiteheads from your skin, and remove oil from your pores, typically around your nose.

The effect is to make your skin feel soft and refreshed. And clean!

Why do women do it? Because it's a much deeper cleanse that you do at home with your facecloth and a jar of facial mud or a tube of peeling mask, although they can feel good too. Especially living in a big city, where you feel the effects of dust and grime and pollution on your face.

Archived