US Politics: Speak Into the Microwave

Fragile Bird

I dunno. That "(Seriously)" seems to imply "yes, it's what you think it is". I agree there's room for interpretation, but it would be a serious breach of trust and damaging to the show's brand if it wasn't what people expected. Would they really do that to their viewers?

(On the other hand, it's not on the show's FB page, which is kinda odd. You'd think they'd go all-out.)

This user comment pretty much nailed it: "this is either a big let down or the biggest scoop in modern political history"

David Cay Johnston is apparently the journalist that "has the tax returns" but his tweet was far less sensational. Something like - I have a big story about Trump and his taxes.

His tweet:

On @maddow I'll break a big story about Trump and his taxes - 9PM eastern via @DCReportMedia Ill be on @lawrence, too.

13 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

I have a terrible, sinking suspicion these aren't going to be Donald Trump's returns, but another "Trump's" (one of his mouth-breather kids, a Trump organization return, etc etc).

Same.  Maddow has been doing some excellent work lately.  One of her things is she's no longer covering Trump's tweets as news.  She will lose a lot of credibility if she hypes this as something we all hope it will be only to have it turn out to be  one of the kids.  

2 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Is that even legal to publish someones tax returns? I think states are ok but I was under the impression federal is a no no.

Maybe it's ok if you just say you have them.

In any case, if there's anything good in there, we're about to see a whole new level of Trump vs. the media.

I think it's amusing that this is also the same time he had the pussy grabbing tape, and I for one am waiting to see how he declares his grabbing of pussy. Is it a gift? Did he itemize it? Was it a depreciation? Possibly a dividend? 

Just now, denstorebog said:

In any case, if there's anything good in there, we're about to see a whole new level of Trump vs. the media.

It is perfectly legal to comment on found material even if it was obtained illegally, provided that you weren't the one that obtained it illegally. Sources can provide you information. Though with the Gawker ruling, this is somewhat in doubt, it's almost certain that this can be considered a public interest that outweighs the privacy rights of Trump. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It is perfectly legal to comment on found material even if it was obtained illegally, provided that you weren't the one that obtained it illegally. Sources can provide you information. Though with the Gawker ruling, this is somewhat in doubt, it's almost certain that this can be considered a public interest that outweighs the privacy rights of Trump. 

That has very little to do with whether Trump is going to go off on the media again.

5 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

It would be really big news if there's income coming from Russia.  If there isn't a Russia connection, I don't think there'll be anything game changing in there.  

It'll be big enough if there are any business ties with a 3rd generation Russian immigrant. People have been so salivating over a Russian connection that anything will do the trick. I wouldnt be surprised if him selling bearskin rugs was a big story

Archived