US Politics: Speak Into the Microwave

Fragile Bird

Well, looks like the WH has at least admitted these returns are real.  However, Trump himself will say at around midnight that the media is all dishonest and report false stories and that false story was illegally obtained by the way and he's a very important businessman blah blah blah and his supporters will just eat it up and become even more entrenched in their horrific ideology.  

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

I'm preparing myself for a big let down, but I hope I'm surprised.

Yeah, I don't think there's going to be anything special. I mean seriously - if the pussygate didn't sink him, does anyone think his tax returns will? 

So far there's absolutely nothing.

EDIT: Yeah, it's nothing. Just two pages of numbers and some talk about what we don't know. This was a horrible decision by the show and can only backfire. I have no idea what they were thinking, blowing it up like this.

4 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

This is damaging to the upcoming "taxes" rally and the whole demand going forward. A lot of people will start assuming that the other years are also just boring numbers with no story behind them, and lose interest.

It feeds right into the general narrative that the media are a bunch of sensationalist liars.

7 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

This is damaging to the upcoming "taxes" rally and the whole demand going forward. A lot of people will start assuming that the other years are also just boring numbers with no story behind them, and lose interest.

The reporter who received the tax returns thinks that Trump may have sent him the tax returns, probably because the two pages that he was sent were so innocuous.  Absolutely nothing there.  The "leaked" returns obviously weren't selected to do damage to Trump.  I have to admit that if Trump did fake release a part of his 2005 tax return, it was a savvy move for the reasons you list above.  

Trump acts so crazy and stupid so much of the time it's sometimes hard to imagine that he'd be capable of such moves, but on the other hand, he's a master at public manipulation.

I don't know how a person would only have access to those two pages of the tax returns and not any of the supporting schedules which would potentially list some of the sources of income.  And if they had access to the entire return, why just mail out the first two pages?  That makes me suspicious. 

I can understand why Maddow and the Daily Beast journalist would want to publish their scoop, but they may have just helped Trump out by doing so.  That would be some serious irony if Maddow unintentionally ended up helping Trump out.

Archived