US Politics: Speak Into the Microwave

Fragile Bird

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But I dunno if there has ever been proof of a direct correlation between cuts in govt social spending and wage rises for the lower end.

For the most part there is none, and to suggest that there is is completely nonsensical. 

It must be really funny from a German point of view to watch their leader who is a champion of liberal democracy get set to meet with our American leader who is a fascist nationalist wannabe dictator. Oh how much has changed in 70 years..... 

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It must be really funny from a German point of view to watch their leader who is a champion of liberal democracy get set to meet with our American leader who is a fascist nationalist wannabe dictator. Oh how much has changed in 70 years..... 

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Sometimes I figure that the most entertaining use for a time machine would simply be to go back in time and tell people stuff á la "what if I told you that X years from now ..." and watch them shit bricks.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Watching the experts squirm about Trump is funny as well. Today morning when I switched on the TV the first thing what appeared was a spokeswoman of the foreign affairs squirming under the journalist's question whether it is even possible for Merkel to sway Trump with something as stupid as facts when it comes to his economic ties with Europe. She settled on "Well, it might be possible to convince him that he's made a 'great deal' with which he can brag in front of his followers." Not so sure about that, by the way. I mean, of course Trump is an inept tool who will say whatever he thinks makes him look successful, but he's a vindictive tool with a council of Batman villains whispering into his ears, so whatever meaningless promises Merkel will get from, he will drop them as soon as Bannon waves something shiny in front his eyes.

Can I just take a moment to appreciate how completely out of fucking control this wire-tap story has got.

1. The President's spokesman publicly accuses the intelligence services of one of the US' closest allies (us, ie the UK) of having spied on a Presidential candidate at the behest of the sitting President. Why UK intelligence would do this or how the US President would get them to do it is not addressed.

2. GCHQ then speak publicly, which is almost unprecedented in itself, describing the allegation as 'utterly ridiculous' and 'nonsense', which is absolutely unprecedented. Using that kind of language about a sitting President's official spokesman? Wow.

3. Spicer is then forced to undertake not to repeat the allegation, as if he were on the losing side in a libel case.

The whole thing shows that there is literally no-one the Trump administration won't throw under a bus to get out of answering an awkward question. Damage to key international relationships matters less than embarrassing the President. The whole thing is crazy.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of which, not sure this has been posted yet, but Politico is spitting hot fire with this headline about the meeting:

The Leader of the Free World Meets Donald Trump
Angela Merkel, whether she wants the job or not, is the West’s last, best hope

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pretty funny that the WH had to apologize for Sean Spicer reading out a Fox News report suggesting President Obama used British Intelligence to spy on Trump, so that there would be no US footprint.

They should of just blamed Canada. Your lot is too polite to correct the mistake. 

14 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Huh. Any solid evidence of these future benefits? Be nice to receive something before I'm lynched.

I don't think there's much hard evidence of anything coming out of this administration other than they don't know what the fuck they are doing most of the time.

And now the chancelor looks irritated as hell during his speech. For me it seems she's confused about his sudden focus shift on economy after a lengthy discussion about NATO.

Trump is delusional on healthcare. Claimed to have turned the 12 senators (IIRC, or were they reps?) that have come out in opposition.

Beautiful, beautiful healthcare. Obamacare is failing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edit:

Jesus, he's a child. 

3 minutes ago, Notone said:

You can read emotions on Merkel's face?

Well, now she was quite amused about the whole healthcare bullshit. Really, it's absurd when the day is about the US foreign policy and even the hand-picked reporters of his only ask about Trumpcare. But I really like how Mrs. Merkel handled the situation.

Trump: Hammering on democrats and Obamacare to make himself look better.

Merkel: Gently reminds him that politics are about working with people, even those you disagree with.

She couldn't really wave her healthcare card into his face, could she?

Just now, Fez said:

Speaking of which, not sure this has been posted yet, but Politico is spitting hot fire with this headline about the meeting:

The Leader of the Free World Meets Donald Trump
Angela Merkel, whether she wants the job or not, is the West’s last, best hope

The whole Bretton Woods thingy was started because there was this feeling that autarky and national economic competition was at least partly responsible for WW2. I'm sympathetic to this idea.

Now we're seeing people starting to sour on globalization and doing shit like electing people like Donald Trump because of that. Of course, the irony with Trump is that he is likely to enact policies to make the whole thing worse as well as embracing some kind of 19th Century foreign policy.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Can I just take a moment to appreciate how completely out of fucking control this wire-tap story has got.

Since the purpose of the wiretap story was to deflect attention away from demands to investigate his connections with Russia, the more out of control it gets the happier Trump is.  He gets to pander to his paranoid racist base while distracting from the one thing they they would not forgive him.  All the serious people being shocked by his flagrant lie forget that he doesn't care at all if he's caught in a lie.  

Every time we obsess about his latest lie, we're letting him set the agenda, we're giving credence to his lies (just like the Brexiteer claims) and we're overlooking the real issues. 

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Since the purpose of the wiretap story was to deflect attention away from demands to investigate his connections with Russia, the more out of control it gets the happier Trump is.  He gets to pander to his paranoid racist base while distracting from the one thing they they would not forgive him.  All the serious people being shocked by his flagrant lie forget that he doesn't care at all if he's caught in a lie.  

Every time we obsess about his latest lie, we're letting him set the agenda, we're giving credence to his lies (just like the Brexiteer claims) and we're overlooking the real issues. 

Meanwhile the WSJ keeps publishing more ties to Russia with Flynn, etc., etc., etc.

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ya know, I keep hearing this narrative, but what has he gotten away with exactly? Yes this stuff is distracting, but I can't think of an example of something he's managed to slide through during one of these distractions. One example I keep seeing forwarded is the 2nd Travel Ban. The signing of it went through without a lot of fanfare, but so what? It's not like the Courts were going to react to it overnight. This idea that the public can't pay attention to more than one story at a time is ridiculous. 

Archived