Survey: The Lord of the Crossing

The Commentator

My favorite Frey was old man Walder but the more I read about Big Walder, the more I like him.  

1. Who is your favorite Frey and why?
  2. Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)?
  3. If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Why?
  4. Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms?  
  5. What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn.
  6. Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding?
  7. Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort?
  8. Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Allayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  What lands would be under their control?  Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey?
  9. Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?  
  10. Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys?  
  11. The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys?
  12. Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  Do you think they deserve their success?
  13. Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Feel free to reinvent the game.

57 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

My favorite Frey was old man Walder but the more I read about Big Walder, the more I like him.  

2. Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)?
  3. If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Why?
  4. Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms?  
  5. What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn.
  6. Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding?
  7. Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort?
  8. Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Allayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  What lands would be under their control?  Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey?
  9. Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?  
  10. Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys?  
  11. The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys?
  12. Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  Do you think they deserve their success?
  13. Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Feel free to reinvent the game.

1: Jingle Bells
2: Jingle Bells 
3: House Botley, because I don't like their name 
4: Of course, as long as jinglebells rules the twins 
5: none of them have half the spirit and potential of jingle bells. They are all trash.
6: Of course. He is a terrible old man who had nothing but his wealth, gigantic family and endless streams of teenage wives. How could he not? 
7: I would do nothing as the Freys do not control winterfell. I would celebrate if my kin had the heir to the dreadfort. I also have no say in the succession of the Dreadfort
8: I don't know how rich the freys will be or what lands they control.  why don't you elaborate as you are already rewriting the authors work. Don't stop at the little questions, the whole book should be up for a rewrite 
9: "Hey dany, let the freys keep riverrun. Also, you do not seem to understand the process of succession.
10: In 50 years the riverlands will be populated by nothing but freys
11: None. Hoster's feelings on the freys are made plain.  It is written in the books you want us to rewrite
12: Business. It is in the books. Do a reread. This and the last question were covered plenty
12: you can't change perfection  

1. Walder, the current Lord of the Crossing.  He's crafty and handily outsmarted Robb.
  2. Black Walder.  He's brutal enough to adequately deal with the remaining Tully loyalist.  He's young enough to rule for fifteen more years.
  3. Let the Starks die off.  The Freys are interesting in comparison.
  4. Forgiving the red wedding is a tiny price in exchange for peace and a good economy.  Yes.
  5. Big Walder is smart enough to play well at the game owaf succession. Hostess is just a big brute.  Fat Walda might be clever, we will wait to see.  Lothar, crafty and sneaky.  He sure played the Starks.  
  6. He had little choice and Robb was not worth losing the bridge for.
  7. Jon's judgement gets compromised when the Starks are involved.  I don't know what he would do, but the baby is the heir to the fort.
  8. They're already one of the richest families.  Their holdings increased and their wealth should increase accordingly.
  9. Yes.  Yes
  10. Sure
  11. Success in business brings envy.  Hoster probably envied their good fortune.
  12. Location, location.  Luck in location and the good sense to take advantage of it.  No evidence of cheating.
  13. I would add more ways to win.  

1. Who is your favorite Frey and why? That would be Olyvar, because he can recognize good character and leadership and understands the meaning of loyalty. Second favorite is Roslin. I also like Big Walder.

2. Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)? I don't really have a preference on this. I suspect Walder may find a way to live forever.

3. If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Why?  I don't want any house to go extinct but since the question requires it...Frey. Without a POV I'm just not as invested in them. I also don't like Walder's ridiculous expectation that he should be on the same level as families that go back thousands of years. That's not how the medieval system works. He could learn a few things from Littlefinger about how to game the system. Complaining about lack of respect is not the way to get ahead, making yourself useful is. 

4. Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms? Possibly, but then is it really for me to forgive? I can't speak for anyone else, and certainly not for the gods.

5. What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn. Big Walder is cool. Haven't given much thought to Hosteen. Fat Walda I kind of like. I don't care for Lothar or Black Walder. Elmar is too young for me to render an opinion, seems okay but who knows what kind of man he'll be when grown. Roslin is a sweetie.

6. Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding? No. I would have honored my vow to support the KITN/KOTT, made him squirm and been happy to finally have my hooks into the Tully family now that Hoster was dead. Might have wrangled a choice position for one of my sons or grandsons in addition to the above. I also would have made a point of rallying others to his cause. What I couldn't accomplish during the Targaryen and Baratheon reigns I might be able to see done under the rule of King Robb. 

7. Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort? Wait, am I old Walder here or somebody else? I'd be fine with Fat Walda's baby inheriting the Dreadfort. I don't have anything against her or the kid.

8. Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Alayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  What lands would be under their control?  Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey? No, I wouldn't like to be a son or daughter of House Frey as long as they are led by a rat like old Walder. They would still have the Twins, but Riverrun would go to Edmure and Roslin's child, and I don't see them getting anything out of Littlefinger's death. Alayne can't marry Hardying though, not legally. She's married to Tyrion until she gets an official annulment and she can't do that as long as Cersei is still in power. However, if we allow that the plan LF has told Sansa about may not be his actual plan, then he could have her legitimized and leave all of his holdings to her, in which case the Freys are in danger from their new Lady Paramount.

9. Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?  The Freys do not have Riverrun. They are merely holding it for Roslin's child who will be a Tully. I'm fine with Fat Walda's kid inheriting the Dreadfort.

10. Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys? No. The Tullys have done a good job, so "better" would take a heck of a lot. The Freys could possibly manage the Riverlands as well as the Tullys did. But they aren't likely to be Lords Paramount so it's a moot point.

11. The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys? Except from the lesser houses, very little of the resentment would be due to envy. Most of it was due to Walder's attitude and way of doing things: showing up after the battle has already been decided, acting like he's on par with houses that go back thousands of years (some of whom were kings), and basically being a whiny, bratty, older version of his four year old self. Hoster thought too much of himself to be envious of the Freys--not my favorite guy, Hoster.

12. Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  Do you think they deserve their success? I've never seen anything in the text suggesting that they made their money by dishonest means. Anyone who works hard and is honest in their endeavors deserves their success. So yes, the Freys do deserve their success as long as they came by it honestly, which it seems they did.

13. Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Feel free to reinvent the game. I'm fine with the game as it is.

10 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

1) Stevron Frey, he would have been a good Lord of the Crossing if Walder wasn't a Methuselah.

2) Black Walder seems to be the likely choice in the near future but a likely Frey civil war seems likely. By 15 years I am not sure. Provided the Frey's are still in power.

3) Frey's can go. Stark's are probably needed to the conclusion to the story, House Frey are B tier villains at best despite there being many good Frey's.

4) I might be willing to forgive them but Westeros certainly won't. Probably will lead to even more bloodshed than it intended to prevent.

5) Big Walder, smart lad can see him rising high if he makes it out of the North. Hosteen, I hope he can swim in that plate. Fat Walda, hopes she pops out Bolton's like tarts after Ramsay is dead. Black Walder, ambitious, dangerous and banging half the chicks at the Twins, short term winner but I don't expect him to survive. Elmer, poor kid all he wanted was his princess to marry and she gets married off to a Bolton he isn't anywhere high on the succession. Roslyn, hopefully she can get Edmure  "floppy fish" up long enough to get a child, seems like a nice girl in a shitty situation.

6) I would have gotten a better deal first off and I wouldn't have committed a violation of guest right. If Robb Stark had to die there were plenty of better ways to do it then breaking the societial norms of Westeros to a insane degree. That being said the Starks were a sinking ship.

7) Yes I believe in following the laws of inheritance.

8) The Frey's currently control the Twins, Riverrun, and Darry. However these are all basically different houses at this point and not one united House Frey. There are several other holdings that might soon be within their grasp. They will still likely be one of the richest in the decimated Riverlands. No I wouldn't want to me a member of House Frey. Given the likelyhood of a Frey Civil War and mayhaps a Vale invasion there will be a lot less Freys before the story is done.

9) Bolton's would keep the Dreadfort. Riverrun would likely pass to Edmure and Roslin's kid. Or whoever supported my return to Westeros and I wanted to be LP of the Riverlands.

10) Doubtful, the Riverlands have always been a divided region but the treachery of the Red Wedding has put a big target on House Frey. The Tully's weren't doing a bad job and I don't think the Frey's will be in charge of the Riverlands in 50 years. They aren't even in charge of it now, Petyr Baelish is.

11) I am sure lesser houses are envious of the Frey's wealth, especially the ones they have displaced. I don't think Hoster envied the Frey's just mistrusted them.

12) I don't think they cheated. Made a good bridge and fought tooth and nail to control it. When your the only game in town you can set the rates and get rich. I think they deserve their success.

13) Good as is, I wonder if Walder made the game.

18 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

1. Who is your favorite Frey and why?  Lord Walder.  He's a funny old geezer. 
  2. Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)?  Lothar has the brains and the discipline.  Lothar for the near and Lothar for 15 years later.
  3. If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Starks Why?  I don't like the Starks.
  4. Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms?  I already forgave the RW.
  5. What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn.  Big Walder, smart lad and worthy to lord over his own lands some day.  Hosteen, good soldier but too simple to rule the twins. 
  6. Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding?  Yeah
  7. Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  Treat her like a lady. What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Congratulate her and see that she gets back to the twins safely.  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort?  That's up to the government in king's landing.
  8. Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Allayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  They're rich now.  Richer.  What lands would be under their control? What they have now.   Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey?  I wouldn't mind being a son of that family.
  9. Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  No, that would give them too much power.  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?  Yeah
  10. Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys?  Yeah
  11. The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys?  A lot of the negative attitude towards the Freys stem from jealousy and the fact that they take a toll from anyone who crosses the bridge.  Hoster might have been jealous of the Frey wealth and chose to look down on them instead to make himself feel better.  Walder is the more successful businessman.
  12. Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  No.  Just good old fashioned hard work and due diligence in business.  Do you think they deserve their success?  Yeah
  13. Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  ? What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Make it more intellectually challenging? Feel free to reinvent the game.

• Lord Walder is my favorite Frey right now.  He's a good leader for his family.
  • Let Walder live another 15 years then pass the torch to Big Walder.
  • Stark.
  • If you mean prosperity as in the reign of Aerys, yes.  Prosperity is good for smallfolk and nobles alike.  The red wedding was an act of war done against a rebel northern lord.  It lacked honor but it saved more lives by ending Robb's bid to become king of the north.
  • I like Fat Walda, Lothar, and Big Walder.  I don't care for the rest on the list.
  • I don't think Tywin gave Walder a choice.  Kill Robb and stop the rebels or get Castamered. 
  • Jon is too biased towards the Starks.  I can't see him allowing the Boltons to keep the Dreadfort if he had any say in the matter.  Walda's baby is a Bolton, not a Frey.
  • The Freys are not beautiful people.  I would rather be a Targaryen daughter.
  • I would give River Run to any of the remaining Darrys even if I have to legitimize a bastard.  Ser William's family is deserving.  I would proclaim the House Darry the paramount family of the Riverlands. 
  • The Freys took advantage of their location and used it to build their fortune.  I see nothing wrong in that.  They made their money the honest way. 
  • Keep the game as it is.

20 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

1. Lothar Frey. He's intelligent, and despite his physical shortcomings, remains to be a power in House Frey. Not only did he plan basically every part of the Red Wedding himself, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he gave Lord Walder the idea. He's a damned good liar, too; he made an effort to appear as though he was mostly on the Stark's side, that he was trying to help smooth things over, planning the Red Wedding all the while. Much of the Red Wedding, not just the planning, but getting everyone into position, etc., was due to Lothar. He knows when to be polite, and when to destroy his enemies. I approve.

2. Lothar Frey, now and in the future. He's a lot like his father, honestly; not physically imposing, but intelligent enough to function well in this world despite it.

3. Stark. Down to numbers, honestly. House Stark is basically gone anyway, with only a few stragglers left over. House Frey, on the other hand, is rather populous. Also, there's nobody half so interesting as Lothar Frey in House Stark.

4. I've already forgiven it, honestly, but for peace and prosperity, I'd be willing to kiss old Walder Frey on his toothless mouth.

5. I like Big Walder a great deal; he's very much like Lord Walder and Lothar, in that he's using his intellect as his weapon, rather than his personal strength, which will always be stronger in the end. More can be done with half a brain than with a sword. I like Hosteen well enough; as much as I rank brains over brawn, brawn is still sometimes necessary, and he's a good man to have on your side in that case. Not too terribly bright, however, but that's not all to the bad, if you need to use him, though he's not one I'd want in charge. I think Walda and Lord Bolton are just adorable together. Lothar I've already given my thoughts on. I find Black Walder too quick to anger; could easily be manipulated by such, and is simply foolish, besides. Sometimes, it's worth more to keep your anger in check, and Black Walder seems unable to do so. Also, he sleeps around entirely too much for my liking. I don't care for him one bit. Far too close to succeeding Lord Walder, too. Elmar is young and petulant; entirely too pleased with his position as nobility. Frightened of leeches, prone to crying and temper tantrums, rude to those beneath him despite being given no reason. Pathetic, unlikable, childish. He has time to change, but until he does, I don't like him overmuch. Roslin Frey seems nice enough, though she's not a great actor; almost gave away the Red Wedding because she couldn't stop crying. That said, to her credit, she participated despite her apprehension, putting her family first. She's okay.

6. Yes, I would have. It was a good move. Robb's betrayal deserved retribution, and a price needed to be paid in order to be welcome back in the Crown's grace. There was no way to foresee the dead coming back to make a little guerrilla war on House Frey, and all in all, I think it gave the Freys a nice enough reputation. Sure, they get "Do not trust" attached to them, but they also get "Do not betray". Could be worthwhile, and it was necessary to appease the Crown.

7. Am I Jon Snow in this scenario? If so, yes, I'd allow Roose and Walda's son to inherit the Dreadfort, but only if it'd mean peace between Winterfell and the Twins (the kind of peace where House Frey helps fight our wars, that is). If not, dispose of Walda and the child and give the Dreadfort over to someone of proven loyalty.

8. House Frey is already pretty rich, and they'd only get richer with peace. They rule the Riverlands now, and that wouldn't really change, but I don't see them getting any more lands. But yes, I'd like it enough to be a Frey; they're a relatively new House with a surprising amount of power and money, which is much better than being a very old, prestigious House with no power and money. There are many, many worse Houses to belong to; if the choice was between being a commoner or being a Frey, I'd choose Frey every time.

9. If we had not warred extensively against the Freys, yes, I'd advise Daenerys to keep the as the rulers of the Riverlands. Likewise with Walda's son and the Dreadfort. If we had to crush the Freys into submission in order to take back the Seven Kingdoms, no, I'd say get rid of them, and put a loyal House in charge (though, mind you, I'd recommend this action with any major House that we had to force to submit).

10. Much can change in 50 years. Given 50 years, the Tullys could run the Riverlands better than the Tullys. But, yes, I think, given the right Frey, they could manage the Riverlands better than Hoster did. Though, given the wrong Frey (say, Black Walder) and things could go from bad to worse.

11. I think a lot of the resentment from the Houses that are smaller and weaker but significantly older is due to envy; they choose to see them as some kind of upstarts, so as to maintain a level of superiority, despite having lost any measure of power they would have had over them. There's no envy from older, stronger Houses, though. And not from Hoster; he didn't like Walder's cautious nature. He would have had more respect for Walder if he'd chosen a side sooner.

12. Simply good business. Yes, they deserve what they've got. To become such a powerful House in such a short time is beyond impressive; in Westeros, it's rather unheard of. Good for them.

13. I have no issue with the game. It could remain how it is, it could change radically, it could disappear entirely, none of it would make a difference to me.

22 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

1. Most Freys aren't nasty. For example Roslyn is a nice girl who loves her husband dearly. Its not their fault that their Lord had involved himself in matters that are way bigger then his standing
2. It depends who will win. If the Lannisters win, then I can see Emmon's offspring pushing for their claim on the Crossing. If the Starks win then I can see Danny giving the crossing to Roslin with Edmure's children inheriting the crossing. If the Vale conquers the Riverlands then it would probably end up to Stevron Frey. 
3. House Frey. The North need the Starks. No one needs the Freys
4. The Freys only hope of surviving this is if the Lannisters remain in power. The rest would punish the Freys to win favour with the Lords of the Riverlands and the North
5. I'll skip that
6. By that time he had no choice. The Freys had betrayed their marriage ties with the Lannisters and their commitment to the king by allowing the Starks to slip in. That has costed Tywin a defeat, the Riverlands and his son's sword arm. 
7. The Freys can barely hold their lands let alone launch a military expedition to the North. The only thing Walder can do is pay Walda's ransom (if the North offers such option). Her baby can inherit whatever he wants if he's able to do so
8. The Freys were always rich. The problem is whether they can hold to their lands and lives after what they did
9.  This is what I would suggest regarding the Riverlands. The Targs must be seen as benevolent kings who remember fondly those who sided with them but would punish treacherous bastards whose actions hurt smallfolk and noblemen alike.

- The Freys will be exiled from Westeros, a popular move with both Lords and smallfolk.
- The Tullys had served the Targs well until Hoster sold them off for his bag of silver. Thererfore Edmure will get Riverrun back but will be stripped from his title as LP. 
- Aerys loyalists will be rewarded. House Mooton will be given Harrenhal, House Goodbrooks will be given Castle Darry, lands and titles will be given to House Ryger.
- Jorah Mormont will be appointed LP of the Riverlands with his seat at the crossing. That won't come for free though. He'll commit himself to marry one of Mooton's daughters. That means that the Riverlands will now be lead by a warrior who can rally troops from House Tarly (Dickon Tarly is married to Jorah's wife's sister) if he ever needs to 

10. No
11. Not envy but distrust. The Freys had grown too big, too soon. Sometimes the longest way is the safest and most profitable one. That something the Freys failed to learn

12. They deserved their wealth but their backstabbing will cost them everything

1) Who is your favorite Frey and why?

Probably Olyvar Frey. He seemed a decent sort, unwilling to betray for it's own sake even if it meant costing his standing with his family.

2) Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)?

I've no preference really. Maybe not Black Walder, but someone from the main line would be fair enough.

3) If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Why?

I suppose Stark. If you extinct House Stark you're killing but a handful of survivors. If you extinct House Frey, you're literally killing hundreds of people.

4) Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms?

Forgive? No. Overlook? Perhaps. I think that ship has already sailed though.

5) What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn.

Big Walder: Annoying

Hosteen Frey: Seems to cover a lot of ground, being the token Frey at every battle/incident they're in just about. Other than that, nothing remarkable

Fat Walda: Crude at times

Lothar: Seems to be the Frey most like his father.

Elmar: Other than being promised to Arya he really doesn't do much.

Roslyn: Really seems to be innocent of all the bad crap going on around her

6) Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding?

I might have secured the marriage to Edmure just to put a claim in on Riverrun's heir, but other than that no. Don't get me wrong, betraying Robb was the move to do but that could've been accomplished so much less treacherously. Not showing up to a battle, closing the Twins at an opportune time, or even switching sides during a battle all would've been better for House Frey.

7) Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort?

Send her back to the Riverlands. And no.

8) Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Allayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  What lands would be under their control?  Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey?

Their control over the Riverlands would be tenuous at best. The Brotherhood will keep murdering them and simply put they're spread too thin at the moment trying to keep the Riverlords and the Brotherhood in line. So I'd pass on being a Frey assuming I can switch bodies at will.

9) Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?  

It all depends on how the conquest goes, but in the case of both the Freys an the Boltons, they didn't directly do much harm to the Targaryen cause during the Rebellion and it would be useful to have someone more hated around in the Riverlands and North respectively.

10) Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys?  

Doubtful. Huge progeny of conflicting claims would seem guaranteed to set up a war of the Roses scenario in the RIverlands even if the Tully loyalists and Brotherhood were eventually crushed.

11) The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys?

It's common human nature to be scornful of people to elevate one's self. Though while the elite blueblooded Westerosi society did consider the Freys "new money" as it were, Walder earned a lot of his scorn himself by his resentful and cantankerous nature.

12) Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  Do you think they deserve their success?

No. They used their natural resources to their advantage. That's smart.

13) Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Feel free to reinvent the game.

Don't particularly care, let the kids play and change the rules at their own whim. They will anyways.

1. Big Walder and I give credit to Preston Jacob's program for bringing this awesome little boy to our attention. 
  2. I have to go with Lothar.  His momma didn't raise no fool.  He does what needs doing and says what needs saying.  His physical handicap lures enemies to underestimate him and then he surprises with cunning.
  3. You mean which house should die?  Stark.  They're almost as bad as the Lannisters.  The Freys just got caught between the Starks and the Lannisters squabbling over one crippled boy. 
  4. Let bygones be bygones.  Robb chose to go to war.  The best tactical choice is one where you have the least exposure to danger.  The Red Wedding was a brilliant move to get rid of Robb. 
  5. I like them well enough.  Big Walder has a good future if he can keep himself alive around the Boltons.
  6. I would hate to but yes.  I'm more scared of Tywin than I am of Robb. 
  7. Jon would ransom Fat Walda and baby Roose.  I think Jon would use them to exact revenge on the Freys.  Jon can't think straight when the Starks are concerned.
  8. Freys wouldn't be my first family choice but if push came to shove, yes. 
  9. If the Freys dipped their banners and didn't take up arms against me. 
  10. I think Lothar can handle the riverlands.
  11. Hoster was an ambitious snot.  It's more about snobbery but I wouldn't rule out Hoster coveting the twins. 
  12. The fortune was earned.  I don't see how you can cheat.  You ask for payment to cross the bridge.  Those who don't pay take the long way or the wet way.  The customer chooses.
  13. It's just a game. 

Who is your favorite Frey and why?

Lord Walder for his manner of speech. Heh.

Who would you like to succeed Lord Walder in the near future?  How about fifteen years from now (May He Live that Long)?

Twins to fall to Jon whatever his last name is by then. Be given away as a reward.

If one of these two Houses has to become extinct, which one would you pick to perish:  Frey or Stark.  Why?

I don't think either of them will become extinct but if had to pick one then Frey. There should be some justice in GRRMs world. The story wouldn't really make sense if the Starks become extinct, too many main characters are Starks.

Are you willing to forgive the red wedding if it meant a return to peace and prosperity for The 7 Kingdoms?  

By that you mean letting the Freys and Boltons go unpunished? I'm afraid I'm not a good enough person for that. I've wanted nothing more since Robb died than for Jon to abandon his post in protecting the realm against the Others and get a bit of vengeance. Nor would I mind if Arya loses herself while bathing in Bolton blood.

What are your opinions on the following prominent members of House Frey?  Big Walder, Hosteen, Fat Walda, Lothar, Black Walder, Elmar, and Roslyn.

Big Walder - deceptive little $hit. Makes for an interesting character.

Hosteen - A formidable fighter, very quick to anger.

Fat Walda - A pawn who is in grave danger.

Lothar - We don't know too much about him. Presumably one of the more cunning freys.

Black Walder - We don't really know much about him other than his rumoured sex life

Elmar - Had to look him up.

Roslyn - A tragic pawn.

Put yourself in old man Walder's place.  Would you have carried out the red wedding?

No, but I'm completely different. It's a great part of the story though.

Assume the traitor Jon Snow and the wildlings have taken Winterfell.  What would you do with Fat Walda?  What would you do if Fat Walda just had a baby boy?  Would you allow the baby to inherit the Dreadfort?

Who's perspective are you looking at from here? Realistically anyone interested in letting a Frey/Bolton offspring inherit anything isn't going to be in a position to do so.

Assuming that the political status quo is maintained, Stannis is defeated, Jon Snow stays dead, Allayne marries Hardyng but Sweetrobin regains his health, Daenerys postpones her return to continue the good fight against slavery in the east, Dorne agrees to peace, and Littlefinger is dead.  How rich would the Freys be?  What lands would be under their control?  Would you like to be son or daughter of House Frey?

You're asking a lot to believe this. Even in this case they are destined to fall. No one likes them and once Walder croaks it they will destroy themselves anyway. And if Jon stays dead and Daenerys doesn't come, the Others will probably kill everyone anyway.

Daenerys takes back the 7 Kingdoms.  You are her valued Hand of the Queen.  Would you advise her to allow the Freys to keep Riverrun?  Would you allow a son of Fat Walda and Roose Bolton to inherit the Dreadfort?

Two ways of looking at it depending on alliances and relations. Better to have a lickspittle than an adversary with more power. On the other hand if you have cordial relations with genuine heirs in the North and Riverlands, handing out some justice to the Freys would win loyalty. I don't see the story going in this direction though.

Given fifty years, do you think the Freys can manage the Riverlands better than the Tullys?

Nope, absolutely no chance. Everyone hates them including themselves. Some of them have cunning but not a single one has shown any wisdom.

The Freys are considered a young house and newly rich.  How much of the resentment towards House Frey are due to envy?  Do you think Hoster envied the Freys?

Not from Hoster, his resentment comes down from the fact they are a bannerman who cannot be trusted. It's quite likely some of the other river lords are envious of their wealth though. By far the biggest aspect now is Red Wedding, they are despised by friends and enemies alike which vastly overshadows any envy.

Do you think the Freys "cheated" to gain their wealth or was it due to good entrepreneurship and business practices?  Do you think they deserve their success?

I don't think they cheated at all. But diplomatically they gradually damaged relations with everyone over a period of time so their business practices and position even before the war of five kings was less than you are making out.

Lord of the Crossing:  The Game.  Would you change the rules of the game?  What rules would you change to make the game more fun?  Feel free to reinvent the game.

Yes, the game is completely moronic in its current state.

New version (would need a fair bit of refinement and testing). One person is Lord, everyone else is an heir. You want as many players as possible. Game play occurs over an undefined number of rounds and uses Prestige points. The Lord starts with 50 points, everyone else starts with 10. If any player reaches 0 points they are dead. If the Lord reaches 0 then the player with highest number of points becomes lord.

Each round each Heir must in turn (starting from one player and then going clockwise) publicly nominates another player (Lord or an heir) to gain 3 Prestige points. Then the Lord nominates one heir to gain 5. Then simultaneously, each player secretly (no one knows who voted for who in this part) nominates another player (lord or heir) to lose 3 Prestige points.

At the end of this you have the action phase where starting from the Lord and then the same player who started this round, then clockwise you can spend points to...

Tithe : Pay any number of prestige points to give another player twice as many points as you pay.

Slander : Pay any number of prestige points to make another player lose twice as many prestige points.

After that you have the deal phase where for a few minutes you can mingle and secretly make any deals.

Then the Lord gains 5 points and the next round begins with the starting player moving 1 space clockwise.

Winner is the person with most points when you are down to 2 players.

Archived