Acrophobia 28: Lomas Longstrider's notes - CONCLUDED

Dolorous Gabe

ACROPHOBIA 28: Lomas Longstrider's notes

“The gods made seven wonders and mortal man made nine” - Lomas Longstrider

Welcome, one and all, to this trip into the mind of Lomas Longstrider, the esteemed traveller and writer, who wrote the popular book Wonders Made By Man. In this edition of Acrophobia, you will compile from a given acronym some of Longstrider's notes upon seeing each the “wonders made by man” as known to be detailed in his book (currently seven are confirmed according to the wiki).

The rules:

1. There will be 7 rounds.
Entries must only contain words that begin with the letters the Acronym provided; therefore, you may not stick in a word like a, the, of, and, etc or &, @. to make your answer make sense. Players will be asked to re-submit their answer if this happens. However, punctuation may be used, which may help increase meaning.

2. Deadlines for each round will be detailed as each round arrives. I will always give 48 hours at the very least. I will use yomi's system of accepting entries after the deadline but not give late entrants their point for submitting. Deadlines might be extended depending on how evil I am feeling.

3. Entries are to be PM'd me, your host, Dolorous Gabe. Please title your PM Acrophobia 28 - <insert your Board Name here> and keep all communication to one thread so the host's inbox does not reach overload.
You may edit/change your entry until the submissions window is closed, just be sure to let me know in a new reply.

4. When all submissions are in, I will post them on this thread.
Entries are to be anonymous, so don't reveal which is your entry. Revealed entries will be disqualified.

5. Players will then have a reasonable amount of time to vote for their favourite entry, their second favourite entry, and their third favourite entry.
Please submit your votes in a comment on the game thread and make it as clear as possible which entry is first, which entry is second, and which entry is third.
Depending on the number of entries in a round, there may be extra 1-point votes to be given out. Please read the posts with the new submissions closely for details.
You may not, obviously, vote for your own entry.
You may change your vote up until the voting window closes by editing your original voting post.

6. After Round 1 submissions are over, voting and the submissions for a new round will run simultaneously.

7. Points will be awarded as follows:
1 point for a submission
1 point for voting
3 points for someone choosing your answer as their top choice
2 points for someone choosing your answer as their second choice
1 point for someone choosing your answer as their third choice and any additional places
4 points for having the answer with the most 1st place votes
Points will be added across the 7 rounds and the person with the most points will be the winner

8. Acrophobes, seasoned and green alike, may join at any time, both during the submission and voting.    So won't you go ahead and join us?       Ahh go on! Go on, go on, go on!       And finally, what do you say to a game of Acrophobia? (mild language warning).

Previous Acrophobia games their winners below.

Spoiler

Acrophobia #1: Seven Kingdoms // Sixchins
Acrophobia #2: Eight Events // Sixchins
Acrophobia #3: Seven Devils // Turinqui-Calima
Acrophobia #4 Seven Deities // Turinqui-Calima
Acrophobia #5: Pleasantly Plump // Asshat Ahai
Acrophobia #6: By the Book // Evermind
Acrophobia #7: Fan Theories // Howlin' Howland
Acrophobia #8: Little Known Facts About the Reeds // Fragile Bird
Acrophobia #9: Raven Messages // Dolorous Gabe
Acrophobia #10: You are the Prophesier // Lady Blizzardborn
Acrophobia #11 Animal Life // Dolorous Gabe
Acrophobia #12: Players // A Shadow
Acrophobia #13: Seasons // Ser Not Appearing
Acrophobia #14: Travelling Essos // Fragile Bird
Acrophobia #15: Dear Diary // Woofless
Acrophobia #16: Updated House Words // Lord Lyman
Acrophobia #17: Singular Protagonist Titles // a shadow
Acrophobia #18: The Grave Epitaph // Emmit

Acrophobia #18.5: Ravens from Mom // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #19: Newspaper Headlines // Woofless

Acrophobia #20: Last Words // Julia H.

Acrophobia #21: Talking Animals // Fragile Bird

Acrophobia #22: Words To Votes // Julia H.

Acrophobia #23: A Game Of Wedding Vows // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #24: Be The Prophesier // Fragile Bird

Acrophobia #25: Revenge Never Tasted So Tweet // Julia H.

Acrophobia #26: Bridge The Gap // Raisin' Bran

Acrophobia #27: Hypotheticals // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #28: Lomas Longstrider's notes // Julia H.

ROUND ONE

THE WALL

Let's start off with something we're very familiar with. Lomas Longstrider visits The Wall. Tell us, using the given acronym below, something that the esteemed traveller wrote in his notes on his visit. It could be a broad, general comment or observation. It could be something very specific. It could be something we know, it could be something we don't know. Given that these are notes, it could be roughly written or it could be well written. The choice is yours.

H I M I B L W D

Send me a PM as detailed in OP with your first entry. Bon chance!

R1 submission deadline will be set a week from now on Tuesday 21st March at 10:00pm UK time to Thursday 23rd March at 10pm UK time

A prize will be awarded to everyone who plays every round of this game.

Only a handful of people have been given access to this prize. As a couple of players have been given access previously, I will try to get my act together and produce a different one for them.

:leaving:

22 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

A prize will be awarded to everyone who plays every round of this game.

Only a handful of people have been given access to this prize. As a couple of players have been given access previously, I will try to get my act together and produce a different one for them.

:leaving:

Is this going to be a good prize, or like a Joffrey surprise?

Hear ye, hear ye!

Tis nigh a week on and a mere two submissions have been hereupon received. The later eve on the morrow brings the deadline headlong.

Lomas Longstrider's notes will not write themselves and my two-week trip on May 6th will not be delayed.

I may have to resort to tagging people! At least send me the requisite private message to let me know you're working on it.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sorry, I was distracted by being in emerg on Saturday. (A tooth seems to have become infected, and I needed antibiotics which have finally started to kick in today. :) )

I will get an entry in to you as soon as my brain gets into gear.

That's awful. I've had that happen. Not fun. Feel better soon, FB!

Looks like I'm going to have to extend as I have received nothing more since my last post. Let's make the deadline Thursday 10pm UK time

And here's some tagging just in case some former players can be tempted @Ser Not Appearing @Howlin' Howland @Woofless @delspark @Stonehearted Snake @rocksniffer @redriver @Dany Lannister @a free shadow @yomi @Reek Havoc @Turinqui-Calima @Lord Lyman @Night'sQueen @Emmit @AssHat Ahai @northernwarg @Destiel's Child @PyroclasticFlow @honeyed chicken @Evermind

I'm sure I've missed a load.

The prize is something very few people have seen. Even many of my closest friends haven't seen it. I'm offering up my very soul as a prize here.

So come on in,

It ain't no sin,

Take off your skin,

And dance around in your bones.

Archived