Triskan

The Ethics of Halloween Costumes

27 posts in this topic

I was strongly considering being William Tecumseh Sherman for next Halloween.  Awesome idea that is long-overdue or insensative as hell?  

Or a third possibility:  insensative as hell but also an awesome idea?

Will that be slutty William Tecumseh Sherman?

11 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Who would even get the reference 

Oh, I think that plenty will....

Posted (edited)

Especially if you're walking around Atlanta or thereabouts.

I say have fun and rock it, as long it's not going to get you in too much trouble if you actually are in the South.

Edited by Paladin of Ice

What is the point?  A celebration of military couture and facial hair?  An 'up-yours' to a southern audience?  To baffle hipsters who don't know how to take it and still seem enlightened and sophisticated?  An homage?  To seem dangerous and intellectual to a slutty Spongebob?

1 )  Sure but it could be anyone.

2 )  Frolic at your own risk.

3 )  You would know better than me.

4 )  Have at it.

5 )  Make sure you have both a sidearm and a saber.

32 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Will that be slutty William Tecumseh Sherman?

Hahaha.  It needs to be.

but in general I'd also be a little surprised if your average Halloween reveler could pick out that Trisky was Sherman right off the bat without him explaining even if he was a dead ringer for Willie T.  

He needs the uniform plus get a little Atlanta snow globe but with red glitter instead of white to carry around.  

Even still my faith in the average American to put that together without an explanation is pretty low.

5 hours ago, S John said:

Even still my faith in the average American to put that together without an explanation is pretty low.

Seriously, Trisk  you'll need business cards.  If you do it for Mardi Gras next year on the other hand....

Oh wait, you'll still need cards.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Triskan said:

I was strongly considering being William Tecumseh Sherman for next Halloween.  Awesome idea that is long-overdue or insensative as hell?  

It's a Halloween costume... who cares?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

9 hours ago, Triskan said:

Only if you also gild yourself like the statue south of Central Park.  Laurel Wreath required.  Gilded horse optional.

Posted (edited)

Go feddy if you really want to be ballsy. You might even get a 'dear white people' message from other white people for that.

Edited by DunderMifflin

18 hours ago, Triskan said:

Drop the William and the Sherman and dress as Tecumseh.  Just as overdue,  just as insensitive, especially in the northern states, and to Andrew Jackson supporters, and even more likely to raise a few wtf's. 

I was Clark W. Griswold from Christmas Vacation last year, and somehow that offended someone who didn't celebrate Christmas, despite the fact that I wasn't even wearing anything remotely related to actual Christmas, so I'd say dress at your own risk but I find your idea to be pretty cool myself.

You could go as a slutty baked potato.

Posted (edited)

Happy to get some cheeky responses, and I was kind of cheeky in the OP, but I was actually kind of seriously wondering what the barometer would say on this...like...I think some people would think it was offensive because Sherman was, at one time for one entity, something of a thing of terror.  But most today agree that the entity in question was quite an awful thing.  

True, would be hard to distinguish "Sherman" from "Union Soldier" in Halloween costume...would have to think about that.  

But definitely a robust and well-cropped beard which helps to address both the knowledge of costume issue and the sexy/slutty Sherman in one fell swoop.  

Edited by Triskan

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I was Clark W. Griswold from Christmas Vacation last year, and somehow that offended someone who didn't celebrate Christmas, despite the fact that I wasn't even wearing anything remotely related to actual Christmas, so I'd say dress at your own risk but I find your idea to be pretty cool myself.

One year me and two of my friends got matching Bishop costumes with the hats and everything, except each of our robes were a different color.  And then we bought these fake ornate plastic chalices and drank beer from them all night.  All three of us are Catholics so it wasn't really intended to be disrespectful but we caught shit from a few Debbie Downers nonetheless.  Still my favorite costume I've ever done.

Posted (edited)

How could anyone tell your dressing up as slutty Sherman as opposed to slutty Grant or slutty Sheridan, or even slutty McClellan?

Edited by White Walker Texas Ranger

you could do the same but make it more of a puzzle - dress up as a 2 cycle wwII tank with a beard and see if anyone gets the reference.

Do Slutty McClellan.  No one will get the reference.

Slutty Hooker would be the obvious Civil War General/Slutty Halloween costume crossover.