Truly good characters

Mild Inconvenience

2 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but I find it genuinely sweet that your proof that Renly is a bad character is that he called his niece ugly. I  actually support this. In the real world this would be the ultimate proof that the guy is a total shit. 

I second that. That whole bit of business pretty much suggested Renly was not very kind at all and that his usual amiable charm was rather more contrived than genuine.

For me, the truly good ones were Davos (especially Davos), Ned, Pod, Luwin, the Reader, Sam, Missandei, and Grey Worm (I'm surprised there isn't more Grey Worm love; he does no more for his own benefit than Missandei does and he's remarkably together for a kid who was systematically programmed to be a heartless, insensate killer). Brienne after she starts lightening up at Harrenhal (I thought she was too self-righteous and judgmental before that to be truly good).

4 hours ago, devilish said:

He wasn't the kind to let his bannermen get the best out of him only to then panic and start chopping heads to state his authority. He was a grown man, who had made his bones in KL. I cant see Renly putting a crown on his head unless he the men to keep it there

Tywin didn't do that either. He had no bannermen when he took out House Reyne and House Tarbeck before he had any authority to do so. And he apparently faced no punishment for doing it.  Quite frankly his actions in that made his father Lord Tytos look even weaker than he had before because the kid took over and punished those two uppity hoses and daddy dearest didn't do a thing about it.

Of course Renly meant to keep the crown. That doesn't mean he could have done so.

A good person not only has good intentions but should also be willing to carry it out.  There is no such thing as good for everybody.  What is good for one person may harm another so you have to decide on which act would benefit the most number of people. 

1. Barristan Selmy
  2. Septon Merribald
  3. Daenerys Targaryen
  4. Samwell Tarly

Dany has done the most for the most.  She helped slaves gain freedom and she is working hard to stop slavery.  She is my choice.

On 17/03/2017 at 10:35 PM, devilish said:

The only way Robert had to get rid of Cersei was to bring in some solid accusations against her. Her sexuality was an easy target (think of Henry Tudor's wives). Also, I doubt that Mace would accept having Margaery marry Cersei if her children were still in line to the throne. The lions always pay their debts and King Joffrey would make sure that the Tyrells would pay that debt to the full. Therefore if Cersei is kicked out from KL then her children will quickly follow.

What? Why would Robert need a reason to get rid of Cersei? He's the King. Sure, it might not be popular and the Faith might grumble but what could anyone actually do about it? The North, Stormlands, Riverlands and Vale were solidly Roberts and the Lannisters relationships with Dorne and the Targaryens were unfixable. If Tywin rebelled, he'd rebel alone.

Besides, it's Robert. There's no way that he's the type of guy to proclaim that he'd been cuckholded.

As for Mace, I'd imagine he'd gamble on Margaery being able to convince Robert to put her kids first eventually, rather than demanding it right away and ending up with nothing.

I also doubt that CR would be inherited by either a Lannister or Cersei's offspring. The Lannisters are all related to one another and CR has enough gold in its coffers to afford an army of assassins if they want to. Robert is a drunk but he's not a fool.

So what  he would do? He'll probably do what he always did ie he'll throw this extremely difficult task (ie to stabilise the Westerlands) right on Stannis laps. He did that when someone needed to hold the Stormlands on his behalf and he did the same thing when he needed someone to capture Dragonstone as quickly as possible even though Stannis hardly had any experience as a seafarer himself.

Robert doesn't like Stannis very much but he knows

a- Stannis would never betray him. As a second son he would have been better off betraying Robert and bend the knee to Aerys when storm's end was under siege. Yet he preferred to starve then doing so
b- if there's anyone capable of getting things done then that man is him.

Hence why he assigned him as Lord of Dragonstone. That island attracts Targs like flies and if they captured it then the whole Aegon's conquest hype would start again

No. He made him Lord of Dragonstone as an insult. Stannis believed that and Cersei confirmed it. Stannis starved to hold Storm's End and Robert took it away and gave him a desolate rock instead. He enjoyed winding his brother up. He's not going to make him the richest man in the realm. If anything the thought of annoying Stannis would be enough for him to give it to someone else.

The best way to stabilise the Westerlands isn't to put a prickly, unlikeable outsider in charge. It's to keep things as normal as possible. Assuming Tywin rebels and is defeated then the most logical person to give it to would be one of Cersei's kids, who look very Lannister, but believe Robert is their father.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived