What happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons

Ser Scot A Ellison

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I liked the "Orbots".

Scot, I didn't think I could hold you in anymore esteem than I did and then you go and raise my respect of you through the roof!

Mighty Orbots  was my absolute favorite Saturday morning cartoon. You know the reason it only got one season? It's ratings were solid. However, Tonka sued because they had Gobots, and advertised them as "Mighty Robots, Mighty Vehicles" and felt "Mighty Orbots" was too similar. The Producers didn't think fighting it was worth the hassle and just stopped making the show.

Stupid Tonka :tantrum:

Another show that I loved and I don't hear hardly anyone talking about it was Space Stars. An hour long show with 4 or 5 segments, it had new episodes of Space Ghost and Herculoids, also a new team called Teen Force and Astro (from The Jetsons) and the Space Mutts. Characters from the different segments would crossover and team up all the time.

7 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Superfriends was my shit....

http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm

Also loved Superfriends. That was the first TV show that I got excited over. But, wow most of it is so unwatchable now. The only episodes I can actually watch now are from the Challenge of The Superfriends season and the final seasons when it became The Legendary Super Powers Show.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the incredible Hulk Hour also great. The Real Ghostbusters, so good.

Other Saturday morning cartoons I watched: Smurfs, Pac-Man, Turbo Teen, Plastic Man, Riche Rich, Little Rascals, Puppy Adventures, Garfield and Friends, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Pink Panther, Gary Coleman Show, Aniamted Punky Brewster, Animated Happy Days, Animated Laverne and Shirley, Animated Mork & Mindy, Galaxy High School, Alf, Thundar the Barbarian, Blackstar, Hong Kong Phooey, Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, Saturday Supercade, Captain N: The Game Master, Weekend Special and various Popeye The Sailor incarnations.

Where I lived the first season of Transformers was a Saturday morning cartoon then by season 2 it became a weekday show.

Repackaged Looney Tunes were always a part of Saturday mornings, I always liked them as a kid, but it wasn't until I got older that I really appreciated how great they were.

Also, how are kids supposed to learn anything without School House Rock, Time For Timer, In The News, Metric Marvels, and One To Grow On?

I thought I was done with Saturday morning but then Fox had X-Men and new episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. Then I was an adult and still I came back when KidsWB! brought The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Freakazoid, The Zeta Project, Static Shock, and Pinky and the Brain to Saturday morning.

Definitely brings a tear to my eye to think the tradition is no more. :crying: 

The Theme of Saturday Mornings.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

I thought kids in the UK just really liked cooking these days?

Lol. I have on occasion turned on CBBC or CITV to see what the kids are up to. Turns out they watch the exact same TV shows as adults, but ones featuring children instead. Child Masterchef, Bake Off.. University Challenge :).. 

Probably like everything else these days it has something to do with the internet. 

It was a religious event for kids in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

If that video is true it would make sense. The government trying to force educational programming for kids ends up in beer commercials.

The pinnacle of them were Thundarr the Barbarian and Dungeons & Dragons.

I do remember the cartoons on a saturday morning were a massive highlight, but they were shoved in the middle of other much less interesting tv shows, as a way of getting you to watch them. I had to wait for hours just to watch Thundercats or Visionaries. 

I have to wonder what kids actually do watch these days. Maybe its the same cartoons I watch now!!:blush:

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I do remember the cartoons on a saturday morning were a massive highlight, but they were shoved in the middle of other much less interesting tv shows, as a way of getting you to watch them. I had to wait for hours just to watch Thundercats or Visionaries. 

I have to wonder what kids actually do watch these days. Maybe its the same cartoons I watch now!!:blush:

They probably watch people playing videogames on youtube. I know that several of my friends have their kids watching shows they liked as kids on youtube/netflix too.

it was quite cruel making kids watch "live and kicking" or whatever on the offchance the cartoon you wanted to watch landed at some point. Channel 4 used to be where all the odd cartoons resided like "Jayce and the wheeled warriors" and "exo squad"

I clearly remember the NBC switch to news, it came without warning to me I was like what the fuck is this shit!!!!

Anybody remember the preview specials before a new season of cartoons that would have sitcom stars previewing all the new cartoons? You'd have Urkel or the Perfect Strangers guys talking about all the new stuff.

22 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I clearly remember the NBC switch to news, it came without warning to me I was like what the fuck is this shit!!!!

Anybody remember the preview specials before a new season of cartoons that would have sitcom stars previewing all the new cartoons? You'd have Urkel or the Perfect Strangers guys talking about all the new stuff.

Dick Clark hosted ABC's specials for a few years. They always got me ready for the new season in the fall.

How about Cartoon All Stars to the rescue?

All the Saturday morning cartoons crossover to tell kids not to smoke dope. It was on every channel one Saturday morning and then you could rent it at the video store for free.

Saturday mornings were awesome, and really early on Discovery Family they still are!  Transformers and GI Joe still showing at 5am! 

Bugs Bunny and all the others listed above were a ritual we went through every Saturday morning.  I was also always disappointed every Sunday morning when only Davey and Goliath were on...friggin miserable.

The Krofft shows were also fun to watch - The Land of the Lost, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl (mmmm...Deidre Hall...), Wonderbug, The Krofft Super Show...

The best show of all time - Saved by the Bell - was a Saturday morning staple.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:27 AM, red snow said:

They probably watch people playing videogames on youtube.

This.

I know that several of my friends have their kids watching shows they liked as kids on youtube/netflix too.

And this.  At least in my household.  I find the youtube gaming videos to be mindless, brain-rotting stuff, but the kids eat it up.  But my parents probably thought the same about the stuff I watched every Saturday.  I have introduced them to all my old favorites (The Tick, original Transformers, Thundercats, 3 Stooges, Loony Toons, Flinstones, etc.) and they regularly watch those as well.  

Archived