What happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons

Ser Scot A Ellison

11 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

wow! I just looked at all the shows NIC made, basically everything I loved in the 80s! That they started with Ulysesse 31which was the one show that stuck with me throughout the years (and cities of gold of course) just shows how good they were.

It's DIC, pronounced Deek, and yeah, as a kid I always snickered when the logo came up at the end of the cartoon.

For me DIC is notorious for making the inferior G.I.Joe cartoon series in the late 80's/early 90's that continued off from the legendary Sunbow series. At least Chris Latta continued as the voice of Cobra Commander though.

Sunbow also produced Transformers and Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.

However, DIC did at least bring us the excellent Real Ghostbusters series...but they were also the ones who tried to fix it when it wasn't broken, causing producer JMS to leave the series and after he left the show got lame especially when it became Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters :bang: 

Real Ghostbusters is streaming on Netflix, btw :D 

Also on Netflix, select episodes of the 1984 Voltron: Defender of the Universe, selected by people involved in the new Voltron series.

I find though with Voltron, I'd much rather watch it as Go Lion now with the original much darker storylines.

Different from Robotech where I love both the Robotech edit and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross version. I know, I'm an anime heretic.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:15 AM, Greywolf2375 said:

The Krofft shows were also fun to watch - The Land of the Lost, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl (mmmm...Deidre Hall...), Wonderbug, The Krofft Super Show...

Seconded.  The lost saucer, HR Puffinstuff, Sigmund and the sea monster, Liddsville, Far Out Space Nuts....

Good stuff.

I also loved great space  coaster, but I think that was a weekday show?

And for the east coasters out there, The Magic Garden on PIX.

And the weird after school Space Invader viewer participation game where you would call in and say 'pix' to fire at space ships and win prizes.

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

And the weird after school Space Invader viewer participation game where you would call in and say 'pix' to fire at space ships and win prizes.

We had a version of that in the Bay Area called TV POW! It was some Intellivision shooter with fixed crosshairs in the middle of the screen. You'd try to call in to the TV station to be one of the contestants in between cartoons and such. 

18 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

We had a version of that in the Bay Area called TV POW! It was some Intellivision shooter with fixed crosshairs in the middle of the screen. You'd try to call in to the TV station to be one of the contestants in between cartoons and such. 

It's an interesting note on the limited amount of options we had for video entertainment that I would not only try to get on the show, but I'd specifically tune in to WACTH it, and that i thought it was just about the coolest thing ever.

Archived