N+A=D?

SerBeehan

This is a theory that I found on a video a few days ago! it is N+A=D

I wasn't convinced but after watching I was!

Here are the videos!

Part 1

Part 2

P3

What do you guys and gals think!

Ser Beehan

No.  Dany was born on Dragonstone.  For this to be false, you'd have to explain why Rhaella randomly died and why Viserys, of all people, lied to pretend she was a Targaryen. 

I don't believe it, but PJ's theory of Dany being the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar is much more possible than this.  Again, I don't subscribe to this either, but if Ashara is the parent of anyone, story wise it makes most sense for that to be Jon with the Azor Ahai and Dawn connection.

30 minutes ago, WalkinDude said:

No.  Dany was born on Dragonstone.  For this to be false, you'd have to explain why Rhaella randomly died

There was big ass storm in Shipbreaker bay that decimated the remaining Loyalist fleet. It's certainly possible that Rhaella was on one of those boats and met a watery grave, it's not like a highborn has ever been lost at sea. Steffon Baratheon is one such person.

and why Viserys, of all people, lied to pretend she was a Targaryen.

That is assuming he's lying. He might actually believe that she was her little sister. Think about it, if a very young boy was presented an infant that looks like she might be his sister, same colour hair and eyes, then would he really argue otherwise?

Why not just leave the child in Dorne with the Daynes as a bastard? Highborn bastards have a pretty sweet life in Dorne. Why intentionally put this child in a situation where it is known that she will face danger and hardship her entire life. If this is true then Ned, Jon Arryn, and anyone else associated with this plan are monumental pricks.

And why does Ser Willem Darry care about Ashara and Ned's kid exactly? He has allegiance to the Targaryens so his devotion to the children of Aerys and Rhaella makes sense. But why would he help protect the daughter of one of the leaders of the rebellion which had just claimed the lives of many of his friends, family, etc? If N+A=D, wouldn't it make more sense for him to focus all of his attention on protecting Viserys instead of splitting his attention between two children, one of which is an infant and would require more effort; consequently, it is this one that will require more effort which should matter the least to him in this scenario.

This really isn't a theory so much as it's fan-fic.

Not this bull**** theory again. *bangs head against wall in hopes that the pain will stop*

Also if you are too lazy to type a theory out then I don't feel like discussing it, I don't want to watch a slur of bad youtube videos.

There are a lot of theories out there, especially on YouTube. But that doesn't mean that there are a lot of good theories, or plausible theories. Most of our theories are going to turn out to be wrong, mine included.

It's fun to speculate but don't put all of your hope on anything you found on YouTube. Some people have great ideas, but no one I've come across has everything figured out.

Welcome to the forums, Ser Beehan! :cheers:

1 hour ago, CornishDornish said:

There was big ass storm in Shipbreaker bay that decimated the remaining Loyalist fleet. It's certainly possible that Rhaella was on one of those boats and met a watery grave, it's not like a highborn has ever been lost at sea. Steffon Baratheon is one such person.

That is assuming he's lying. He might actually believe that she was her little sister. Think about it, if a very young boy was presented an infant that looks like she might be his sister, same colour hair and eyes, then would he really argue otherwise?

Martin has said Dany is roughly 9 months younger than Jon. Your theory still holds R+L=J. So immediately the timeline doesn't hold. And as someone else said, why would Derry risk his life for the bastard child of the man who essentially ended the Targaryen Dynasty?  Viserys was 8 when Dany was born. You don't think he would know if his mother whom he was with, died in the storm or gave birth to a stillborn?  Bran was 7 when he watched Ned kill Gared. These aren't kids watching Sesame Street. 

Rob died because he emulated Ned and his honor. Rob was betrothed to a Frey, and broke that vow because he took Jeyne's maidenhead and didn't want to dishonor her. This theory holds that not only did Ned disregard the woman he loved and "married secretly in a godswood", but held to his bethrothal. The exact opposite of what Rob did. This story is cyclical with past events repeating. Ned cheating on Catelyn with Asahara or vice versa is completely out of character for him if you accept Jon is Ned's nephew. 

Im all about challenging the status quo, but this is fan fiction territory with no textual support. 

And this says nothing of Dany's dragon dreams, visions in Qarth, or the fact she hatched 3 dragons, something only Targaryens have been observed doing. Not a single Dayne has shown this power, not to mention the Daynes in Westeros while connected to Valeria, predate Valyria and before the dragon lords. 

Jon and Dany parallel each other in the story. Both have a mysterious past (the lemon trees and red door versus the ToJ), but they're both quite obviously Targaryen offspring. They're 2 heads of the dragon (who replaces Dany if she's not a dragon). 

This reveal would be a "shock value" twist that doesn't progress the story any further. What benefit is there to Dany being the child of Ned and Ashara?  Martin isn't Stephanie Meyer. He's not going to include cheap twists that don't add to the story. 

10 hours ago, CornishDornish said:

Wait, how did N+A's kid get to Dragonstone?

Rhaella crowned Viserys on Dragonstone, so when did she crash and die, after that?

This theory has been debated many, many times. I started a thread called Is Dany Really Dany? a while back to debate it here because of the idea kept coming up in the X+Y=Z threads, but you can find it in earlier and later debates. Long and short of it is, I don't think there is any real evidence to back up what is essentially at best a crackpot theory, at worst a dishonest one. Daenerys is who she thinks she is - the daughter of Aerys II Targaryen and his wife Rhaella. She is born on Dragonstone nine moons after the flight from King's Landing. Ser Willem Darry escape with her brother Viserys and her away from the island after Queen Rhaella's death from childbirth complications. And she is the mother of dragons. Which should prove her Targaryen heritage to anyone who wants to ignore the host of other evidence proving who she really is.

Hell yes! In the very broad sense of this saga, it makes all the sense. This saga is all about characters and their identity. What matters the most is what YOU believe. If you believe you are a northern bastard with nothing to inherit, if you believe you are a dwarf not capable of making people take you seriously due to your deformity, if you believe you are an exiled princess of fallen dynasty destined to never find her true home, if you believe your greatest act as a knight is also your most dishonorable one, etc., then you accept that and live on. Otherwise, you CHANGE these circumstances by your deeds. You are who you are for your actions, not for your bloodline. This is the moral of the story, at least for me. If this theory is true, then it perfectly encompasses this main idea. And I am a big supporter of this one because I believe there is enough evidence to prove that AT LEAST Dany's past is very fishy.

Very good guys and gals :D I'm loving all the different arguements about this! This is why I love game of thrones I don't know what is true and what isn't! Sorry I didn't write anything, but I find writing pretty hard as I have dyslexica.

I had the great idea to write something to go with the post it didn't come out right on paper

7 hours ago, SerBeehan said:

Very good guys and gals :D I'm loving all the different arguements about this! This is why I love game of thrones I don't know what is true and what isn't! Sorry I didn't write anything, but I find writing pretty hard as I have dyslexica.

I had the great idea to write something to go with the post it didn't come out right on paper

Glad you're enjoying the discussion.

It's fine that you didn't get anything written to go with it. We all understood the idea well enough for a debate to start up. :D

I think this is an unlikely theory, but not as unlikely as the rest of you seem to believe.

The Daynes and Hightowers have features that are similar to Valyrians, yes, because they have a common ancestor culture. The Asshai'i "taught" the Valyrians how to tame dragons, meaning they interbred with them, but their Empire spread far and wide before it fell. The Great Empire of the Dawn, with their God-Emperors. The Amethyst Empress parallels Dany nicely, and her dreams are of ancient kings with eyes of opal, tourmaline, amethyst, and jade. She dreams of no Targaryens except the one she knew personally, her brother.

The Daynes may not have the power of prophesy, but the Hightowers do, and they are very similar in region and in culture, with a fused stone base to their tower like the Dragon Roads of Essos. Lord Hightower is locked away with his mad prophet daughter, and a prophecy long ago from the Hightowers foretold that should they take up arms against the Dragon, the High Tower would burn.

Danaerys is also associated with Stars, and her dreams are of Ice as well. She parallels Jon Snow, so needs herself to be of ice and fire. Daughter of two Targaryens is fire and fire. Ashara of the Stars and the South, Ned of the Cold and the North.

Why would Darry lie? What happened to Rhaella? Rhaella died with the rest of the extended Targaryen family at Dragonstone during the Storm, and Ashara showed up with a plausible story and a big bag of silver she got from Ned. Not to mention having a fake Targaryen to sell off for armies and favors down the line would certainly help as an incentive. Hiding two children isn't that much harder than one, for what might be gained. Especially if the child looked Valyrian. 

This would answer a few questions, like why does Quaithe keep telling her to remember who she is? Why did she secretly spend formative childhood years in Dorne, where Starfall and Oldtown are?

The timeline doesn't really match, no, but the entirety of Robert's Rebellion is a little fuzzy on the timeline thing. Again, unlikely but there's food for thought here.

Archived