Iron Fist [SPOILERS - after page 3]

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'll at this after four episodes... reviews are relative.... this is about the same quality as any of the other Marvel/Netflix series... whether or not one thinks it measures up is a matter of personal taste....

I agree on the general quality. I'm not far in, however. It's good compared to other non marvel/netflix superhero stuff we have (outside of Legion of course). 

The thing is, this show seems to lack the moments of greatness, iconic scenes and great characters - I mean some of Punisher's stuff, Kingpin, Cottonmouth and the music scenes in the club.

8 episodes down, strongly disagree that this is on about the same level as the other Netflix series. Finn Jones is by far the stiffest and least convincing of the Marvel leads. Watching him fight is painful and he is presented as a know-it-all douche (seriously, lecturing Colleen on martial arts) and a guy with very low empathy. I understand he didn't grow up in the city, but you can't tell me those monks didn't teach him to respect other people.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

8 episodes down, strongly disagree that this is on about the same level as the other Netflix series. Finn Jones is by far the stiffest and least convincing of the Marvel leads. Watching him fight is painful and he is presented as a know-it-all douche (seriously, lecturing Colleen on martial arts) and a guy with very low empathy. I understand he didn't grow up in the city, but you can't tell me those monks didn't teach him to respect other people.

Hmm, you didn't think Luke Cage stiff?

I mean I suppose it was supposed to be a little like that in the same vein as Black Dynamite and whatever the pulp it was referencing, but still. Whether it's intentional or not, stiff is stiff.

Granted, I'm not at all familiar with any of the comics and I'm just watching the show, so I came in with zero expectations.

The biggest difference to me is that where the other shows had great moments and supporting characters to make the dull main story and characters a little livelier, this one has none.

5 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

and he is presented as a know-it-all douche (seriously, lecturing Colleen on martial arts) and a guy with very low empathy. I understand he didn't grow up in the city, but you can't tell me those monks didn't teach him to respect other people.

You can't be serious- he actually creates problems for his company because he is TOO compassionate. Also, the end of episode 6 goes in the exactly opposite direction you're saying, with again him being criticize [spoiled] granted, by someone inside his own head[/spoiler] for not being hard enough.

4 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

You can't be serious- he actually creates problems for his company because he is TOO compassionate. Also, the end of episode 6 goes in the exactly opposite direction you're saying, with again him being criticize [spoiled] granted, by someone inside his own head[/spoiler] for not being hard enough.

I can be serious. He never would have gotten into that mental hospital if he thought things through. Also, it's entirely possible to be compassionate yet unknowingly be a douche to other people at times. He didn't mean to spook Ward or Joy, but he did because he wasn't thinking about how it would look to them. In regards to his company he is compassionate yes, but he decides to put his foot down without talking with (once again) Ward and Joy about what's actually going on, beforehand. To be fair that was on them as well.

7 minutes ago, akh said:

Hmm, you didn't think Luke Cage stiff?

I mean I suppose it was supposed to be a little like that in the same vein as Black Dynamite and whatever the pulp it was referencing, but still. Whether it's intentional or not, stiff is stiff.

Granted, I'm not at all familiar with any of the comics and I'm just watching the show, so I came in with zero expectations.

The biggest difference to me is that where the other shows had great moments and supporting characters to make the dull main story and characters a little livelier, this one has none.

Sure but Cage was supposed to be stiff, he is a big, unrefined brawler going up against a couple of thugs. Jessica Jones didn't exactly have kung-fu masters and ninjas ahoy either.  This series is about refined martial artists, who have supposedly been training since childhood.

I've watched 6 eps. I think the reviewers were wrong, but I haven't read them yet and won't until I've seen the whole season. I'd say the overall quality is consistently good. However, it never really achieves greatness, which I felt all the other Marvel Netflix did, at least for part of their seasons. I haven't seen a bad ep yet though in Iron Fist, which only really DD1 achieved. JJ1 had one bad ep, Luke Cage had several, and DD2 had a couple. I was very worried Iron Fist was going to be silly after a couple moments at the start, such as when he brawled with security at the corp, but other than a couple goofy moments that did not happen.

I was entertained every episode. There just wasn't any character on par with the Kingpin, the Punisher, Cottonmouth and Kilgrave. There's several of good, complete, but no truly great one. Also, it has lots of very good action. It has the second best action of any of the Marvel Netflix. But Daredevil's action is head and shoulders above Iron Fist, at least from what I've seen so far. So far, I have not seen any episode that felt like waste or filler, yet I haven't seen any truly great ones either. My consistent thought about this series so far, is good to very good, but never great. 

Jones as Iron Fist is actually much better than I expected. However, he is also a cipher in a way the other Defenders are not. Don't really have a full sense of him yet. Colleen Wing is awesome and a great addition to the Marvel Netflix sub universe.

I was hoping for a Foggy Nelson cameo, given his new job, but sadly it hasn't happened yet. It's going to be great when we have a bunch of these characters from the various shows interacting in the Defenders. No cameo of any Defender yet, either, and there may not be one. I'd have expected Luke Cage due to the comic history, but I know for sure that won't happen given the events of his show.

A big question came up, but I'll wait until we're discussing spoilers to ask it.

Well, according to The Critics, Warcraft was supposed to be the biggest pile of shit since the extinction of the wooly mammoth. Yet I absolutely loved it, and since then have taken zero notice of these so-called experts.

I'll give this a go. Can't be any worse than Luke Cage.

5 episodes in so far, and while I agree that it's weaker than the other shows, it's nowhere near the pile of turd that the critics made it out to be. It is still entertaining. Ep. 5 so far has been the best for me, and it's no coincidence, considering which character showed up.

I think it needs more flashbacks. I've read a bit about the the origin of the Iron Fist, and it would be a shame if they didn't show how he got his power. I hope they do later on.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

You watched 9 episodes in a day of a show you didn't give a shit about? 

this was my reaction as well. I guess he watches episodes at double speed when he likes them? Red Tiger gets an "A" for effort though. In some ways it's more efficient than me taking 3 months to realise the second half of Luke Cage didn't work for me.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

You watched 9 episodes in a day of a show you didn't give a shit about? 

Next time just quote me, so I know about the reply.
I go on binges with shows, I watched GOT season 1 in a day. There really wasn't much I liked about that either, at first.

Also, you apparently forgot to read the part where I said that I usually give a show 10 episodes, as I know that many of these more serious shows take a while to develop. I stuck through season 1 of Breaking Bad too and im glad I did as it lead to some great tv down the line.

Another issue I have, personally, is that im the type of guy who will watch 5 episodes, forget about the series and then leave it on the backburner for 3 months or longer. I can't tell you with how many series i've down this (The Wire is one example).

Another thing is that I liked the other Marvel shows and they all had a pattern of being quite slow in the middle (looking at you, Elektra in Daredevil), so I was willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

Plus, Colleen Wing was cool.

49 minutes ago, briantw said:

The first eight were all right, but the ninth...fuck that shit!  I'm out.

Not once did I say the first 8 were alright.

I don't get what the snark is about, he did give it plenty of chance.

I'm progressing further into the season and I'm growing more bored as well. It was very similar with Luke Cage, but as I said earlier, that show had some great scenes to liven things up. When Cottonmouth was out, I grew very tired of the show, and IIRC, I pretty much skipped through the last episodes.

This show has had no outstanding scenes to spice up the general mediocrity, and if the pace continues, I'll most likely be skipping through episodes soon enough.

i've only watched the first 3 eps but i'm absolutely loving it so far.  danny has made some really weird decisions but he's been living in another dimension so i'm not sure what metric everyone is using to judge his behavior :dunno:

it reminds me a bit of tom hanks in big for some reason...anyway, i've also been an avid reader of comics for the last 30+ years so i'm probably gonna lean towards rose colored glasses.  

i know i'm really early in the season and that my opinion is just beginning to form but jj and luke cage were EXTREMELY slow burns and DD had expository plateaus as well.  these stories, considering where they came from, are serialized long forms and are prone to peaks and valleys...though i'm not sure if 'prone to' is right.  to me, it implies fault and i find no fault thus far.

FINISH THE TPB, n00bs! :P 

My expectations were really low but this is totally watchable. 17% on Rotten Tomatoes seems way too harsh. I'm surprised how little origin story there has been so far. Also I'm a little confused because I'm almost halfway through it and they haven't introduced an older black character yet. So I have no idea who they're going to kill off for emotional impact.

Archived