Rhaella's flight to Dragonstone

Aetta

Can both Jaime and Viserys be right?

Jaime's last shocking memory about Rhaella, is Rhaella being savaged by Aerys . Jaime would be relieved to see her leave , Morning  . While for Viserys King's Landing was all he ever known , Midnight for him .

OR

Mistaken identity Jaime could have mistaken one of the Queen's lady in waiting ,Ashara Dayne , or Dany's future wet nurse .

OR

They left the Red Keep in the morning and left for Dragonstone at  night .

17 hours ago, cgrav said:

Arianne notes to herself that she (Martell) and Darkstar (Dayne) would produce a child "as beautiful as the dragonlords". 

She does, but that has nothing to do with her own contribution to the looks of such a child. Arianne looks nothing like the prototypical Targaryen in coloring of the hair or eyes. The Darkstar does. Arianne is beautiful, but there is no reason to think she would have children who look like the Targaryens without having Ser Gerold as their father.

As to the topic of the thread, I would note the distance to Dragonstone from King's Landing. It is a little longer than the distance from one end of the Wall to the other. So, we can be sure it is not a distance covered by ship in one day. A morning departure would still produce a midnight passage to Dragonstone. Or, as many others have pointed out, Dany could be conflating the two stories she has been told by her brother of the voyage to Dragonstone and the escape from the island.

Of more interest is why the black sails? This would seem to fit more closely with the escape from the island when getting away from the island unnoticed is certainly a necessity. That suggests smugglers sails. But there is one other simple explanation that should be considered. The destination of Ser Willem and the Targaryens seems to have been Braavos. Braavosi ships are famous for their dark purple sails and dark purple certainly looks black at night. The smuggling out of the children from Dragonstone could be less like Davos's sail into Storm's End, and more like hiding the passengers amongst the goods of a passing Braavosi trading ship - or  more akin to Tyrion's voyage to Pentos.

Finding acceptable Targ baby-doubles in a city where horny Targ men lived for nearly 300 years would not be all that difficult.

SFDanny, even though Arianne doesn't have Targ looks she still does have some Targ genes that when combined with other Targ genes or Dayne genes could produce Targ-looking children. Or just insanely beautiful children. They could be as beautiful as dragonlords without having silver hair and purple eyes. Not all the Targs had those features.

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

SFDanny, even though Arianne doesn't have Targ looks she still does have some Targ genes that when combined with other Targ genes or Dayne genes could produce Targ-looking children. Or just insanely beautiful children. They could be as beautiful as dragonlords without having silver hair and purple eyes. Not all the Targs had those features.

I certainly don't have a problem with how beautiful the hypothetical children could be from a union of Arianne and Ser Gerold. Hopefully they also wouldn't inherit his batshit crazy tendency to try to murder little girls, but the odds are they would look quite pretty. I'm just not sold that Arianne brings much of anything to the odds of producing prototypical Targaryen looking children. There are four generations of Targaryens, if my count is correct, from Daenerys's marriage to Mors Martell to Arianne,and I don't think we have any evidence of Targaryen intermarriage with House Martell since then. It could be an omission by the author that he will correct, but I'm guessing based on what we know now, no. Happy to know I'm wrong, but we need some evidence.

22 hours ago, cgrav said:

Arianne notes to herself that she (Martell) and Darkstar (Dayne) would produce a child "as beautiful as the dragonlords". 

Nice.  That child would need regular visits from the Westerosi version of CPS, given those two as parents!

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Fun idea, but I'm sure by then Ashara had been dismissed from court and was home in Dorne.

You mean after she informed on her brother's/Lyanna's/Jon's location to Ned when they saw each other in KL?  

Shame, had she turned to Barristan (to go to the TOJ) instead of a Stark, her brother might live today.  I truly digress :) 

11 hours ago, Aetta said:

You mean after she informed on her brother's/Lyanna's/Jon's location to Ned when they saw each other in KL?  

Shame, had she turned to Barristan (to go to the TOJ) instead of a Stark, her brother might live today.  I truly digress :) 

If she left on the Shy Maid she certainly wasn't in KL when Ned was. :D

13 hours ago, Aetta said:

Nice.  That child would need regular visits from the Westerosi version of CPS, given those two as parents!

If there ever was a secret Dayne/Martell kid with Valyrian features, I'm afraid it was probably Gregor Clegane who showed up for the welfare check. That or he's in Jon Con's semi-protective custody.

2 hours ago, cgrav said:

If there ever was a secret Dayne/Martell kid with Valyrian features, I'm afraid it was probably Gregor Clegane who showed up for the welfare check. That or he's in Jon Con's semi-protective custody.

Wow. I never thought of Haldon that way. :D

Archived