Skin changing and dragon riding - related abilities

Luddagain

We know that there is something special about Taragyans that allows them to ride dragons and it seems clear from Tyrion's musings that genetic contribution from both the mother and father are needed.

We more or less guess that genetic contribution is essential for warging and presumably other skin changing ability.

Now with skin changing we know that the "warg" has the capacity to enter the mind of the animal (or in the case of Bran the person) and also into people's dreams. In other words the "soul" of the warg enters the "soul" of the animal.

What if the genetic engineering that created the dragon riders involved a reverse of this process.  The dragon "soul" is able to enter the "soul" of the skin changer. This would explain the whole "wake the dragon" idea and also the increasing madness of targs as their inner dragons start to stir. However IF they have an actual dragon to bond with, possibly their inner dragon soul can find a new home.

Targ women may be able to host quite a few "souls" both dragons and other targs/skinchangers with second lives.  Thus Dany hosted Viserys after his death, along with Drogo and prossibly Mirri. thus the soul of Drogo and Viserys have entered the dragons. Rhaegal could have the soul of her mother OR Brother.

Meh. I've never been a huge fan of dragons only hatching/obeying Targaryens because of their super magic albino-Aryan genes or whatever. I think that whole theory is really iffy at best. Dragons bonded with Targaryen royals because Targaryen royals were literally the only ones with the privilege to own a dragon. Like.. anywhere. In the whole world. They were the only ones who owned and bred them. Their whole "magical link" to dragons seems to be based more on myth or legend than actual concrete facts. 

I personally think it would have been possible for anyone to bond and ride a dragon under the right circumstances, a la Nettles (yeah yeah she claimed to have some Targaryen blood in her; that's hard to prove). It just so happens that not a lot of people got the chance to try. 

RB

The trouble with that view is that we KNOW that genetics is involved in skin changing and being a greenseer.  The Targ obsession with marrying their sisters indicates that they believed genetics was important.

I have no problem with the genetic idea any more that I think that some people are born to be good wrestlers, weightlifters or sprinters. We obviously know from animal breeding that it works a treat to develop special characteristics, albeit with some sever deformities etc due to inbreeding.

Obviously it is a bit creepy to have that whole "blood" thing - which I personally would not write in a story, but it is GRRMs tale and he has included it.

Archived